Halls High Red Devils

DiverCity

Anyone that loves some hard nose football would appreciate it when Halls and Catholic knock heads. I got no clue what Catholic has this year since they lost that Smith kid, but any way you cut it this one should be good. Both teams will be looking to find players to fill their positions, but hey, let's not forget about Rockwood since this is a 3-way scrimmage. 3 teams with the same overall system, just with different preferences and flavors from their O coordinators, it should be interesting. Seems to me that Halls might be hungry and looking to prove a lot of people wrong this year.

Zcar, how do you think the passing game is coming along thusfar? Also, who was starting on Defense the other night? Any sophomores getting significant playing time and if so how'd they fair?

Why is everyone talking about this sophomore class when the seniors and juniors have all the starting spots and look pretty good playing those spots? i would like to hear what you have to say about the sophomores and what spots they should have if any?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is everyone talking about this sophomore class when the seniors and juniors have all the starting spots and look pretty good playing those spots? i would like to hear what you have to say about the sophomores and what spots they should have if any?

I didn't say they should have any spots, I was inquiring as to whether they do have spots or are contributing. We all know the juniors and seniors because they pretty much were the team last year. I'd like to know what the young pups can bring to a team that gained a lot of experience last year in its youth, and then if they, the sophs, can bring anything to the table. It's always interesting to see how a group of kids adjusts from 8th grade to 9th grade, then the big jump from 9th grade to 10-12.

Is the Tuesday scrimmage at Catholic? Is it right that it is a 3 way scrimmage including Rockwood? Post the starting time please.

I am not sure about the Rockwood question, but here are the starting times according to the Red Devil website.

Varsity Scrimmages

8/7: 6:00 pm at Catholic

8/10: 7:00 pm at Carter

8/17: Jamboree at Central High (not at Neyland Stadium this year)

Halls will play the 2nd quarter against Austin East at 6:00 pm.

8/23: 6:00 pm at Anderson county (Changed from a Home Game)

I didn't say they should have any spots, I was inquiring as to whether they do have spots or are contributing. We all know the juniors and seniors because they pretty much were the team last year. I'd like to know what the young pups can bring to a team that gained a lot of experience last year in its youth, and then if they, the sophs, can bring anything to the table. It's always interesting to see how a group of kids adjusts from 8th grade to 9th grade, then the big jump from 9th grade to 10-12.

SO Garrett Gresham is looking good -- he had a nice pick against DB's 1st team. SO Zach Gibson had a nice run or two with the 1st team O. SO Fitzpatrick getting some looks and time at outside LB.

Some unofficial info. from the scrimmage with DB.

After the first nine series (1st and 2nd teamers):

- Score - Halls7, DB 7

- Total yards - Halls 105, DB 110

- Rushing yards(net) - Halls 70, DB 60

- Passing yards - Halls 35 (3-9), DB 50 (5-12 with 35 yards on one play)

- First downs - Halls 6, DB 5

- Scoring drive - Halls about 20 yards, DB about 15

- Fourth down conversion - Halls 0-2, DB 2-4

- Turnovers, Penalties and busted plays - too many to count (1st srimmage, what do you expect!)

Sounds about even to me on this night - no "butt kicking". However, as many have said IT WAS A SCRIMMAGE!

The good:

- TT looked good for his first time out. Did anyone else notice the blocks he made after he handed the ball off? Reminded me of Chip ward back in the day. No wonder his teammates(especially lineman) love this kid. He is one tough cookie!

- O. Line did a good job. Four different backs averaged over 4 yards per carry (Kelley, Kitts, Gibson and Hodge) Kelley was a work horse and Gibson (Soph) had the longest run for the devils of 15 yards.

- As stated above, running backs ran hard. (see info above)

- Defense - tackling was much improved. When tackles were missed, others were close by and finished the runners off. Players were swarming to the ball. Highlights include Kelley(he was all over the field), Cottrell with a big hit, and the defensive play of the game by Gresham (Soph) with a pick in the end zone. Gresham went up and took the ball away from a DB player with another DB player there. What an athelete! Only one other player on this team has shown that kind of atheleticism, he is:

- Daniel Dayton - playing with a bad leg, still shows why he is the playmaker on this team. Could have had two TD receptions (I don't want to blame official, he was closer than me) - Halls fans don't take DD for granted- good job Daniel.

- Coaching - Coach J played many people early and often. Kids played hard which is a reflection of this coach!

The areas to improve (I wont say the bad):

- Picking up the blitz

- Offsides -going on a different snap count (this would help with picking up the blitz)

- Eliminate the big play - one run of twenty yards, one run of 15, and one pass of 35

All in all a great day for the devils. Monday we will see if these boys are going to take a step froward or backward. If improvement continues, maybe we might surpriss a feww people this year. Catholic might knock us back into reality, but as long as they play hard I will be happy!

Can Ruse? or anyone else help me with a question - I saw a name for Catholic I hadn't seen in a long time. Daniel Hood. I belive this is a kid I saw from Kingsport several years ago. If so, how is he doing. did he play last year? I thought this kid would be a stud someday - big, strong, and athletic. What is his number? Any info. on him would be appreciated. Thanks.

Some unofficial info. from the scrimmage with DB.

After the first nine series (1st and 2nd teamers):

- Score - Halls7, DB 7

- Total yards - Halls 105, DB 110

- Rushing yards(net) - Halls 70, DB 60

- Passing yards - Halls 35 (3-9), DB 50 (5-12 with 35 yards on one play)

- First downs - Halls 6, DB 5

- Scoring drive - Halls about 20 yards, DB about 15

- Fourth down conversion - Halls 0-2, DB 2-4

- Turnovers, Penalties and busted plays - too many to count (1st srimmage, what do you expect!)

Sounds about even to me on this night - no "butt kicking". However, as many have said IT WAS A SCRIMMAGE!

The good:

- TT looked good for his first time out. Did anyone else notice the blocks he made after he handed the ball off? Reminded me of Chip ward back in the day. No wonder his teammates(especially lineman) love this kid. He is one tough cookie!

- O. Line did a good job. Four different backs averaged over 4 yards per carry (Kelley, Kitts, Gibson and Hodge) Kelley was a work horse and Gibson (Soph) had the longest run for the devils of 15 yards.

- As stated above, running backs ran hard. (see info above)

- Defense - tackling was much improved. When tackles were missed, others were close by and finished the runners off. Players were swarming to the ball. Highlights include Kelley(he was all over the field), Cottrell with a big hit, and the defensive play of the game by Gresham (Soph) with a pick in the end zone. Gresham went up and took the ball away from a DB player with another DB player there. What an athelete! Only one other player on this team has shown that kind of atheleticism, he is:

- Daniel Dayton - playing with a bad leg, still shows why he is the playmaker on this team. Could have had two TD receptions (I don't want to blame official, he was closer than me) - Halls fans don't take DD for granted- good job Daniel.

- Coaching - Coach J played many people early and often. Kids played hard which is a reflection of this coach!

The areas to improve (I wont say the bad):

- Picking up the blitz

- Offsides -going on a different snap count (this would help with picking up the blitz)

- Eliminate the big play - one run of twenty yards, one run of 15, and one pass of 35

All in all a great day for the devils. Monday we will see if these boys are going to take a step froward or backward. If improvement continues, maybe we might surpriss a feww people this year. Catholic might knock us back into reality, but as long as they play hard I will be happy!

Just sitting in the stands but these stats look pretty accurate. I would give the nod to Halls, not by much. I wouldn't put too much stock in the outcome against DB. They are really down this year. One of the few returning starters (DL & OL) got injured early and stayed out. The center was 2nd string and he got hurt too, thus they used a 3rd string. That explains the ugly snaps. Not sure why DB didnt move up under center. The Halls punter looked good. The WR made a good TD catch taking the ball away from the defender. They are not very strong. The "butt kicking" is coming next week from Maryville. It is good to see the excitement at Halls. I thought the Halls fans were fine. DB better get used to fans being excited about beating up on them. I think they are going to see a lot of it this year.

Can Ruse? or anyone else help me with a question - I saw a name for Catholic I hadn't seen in a long time. Daniel Hood. I belive this is a kid I saw from Kingsport several years ago. If so, how is he doing. did he play last year? I thought this kid would be a stud someday - big, strong, and athletic. What is his number? Any info. on him would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yes. Daniel Hood is from Kingsport. He is doing very good and improving everyday. Played the last half of the season last year because he enrolled in school late. #78. 6'5, 245 and I belive he is starting at DT.

Yes. Daniel Hood is from Kingsport. He is doing very good and improving everyday. Played the last half of the season last year because he enrolled in school late. #78. 6'5, 245 and I belive he is starting at DT.

He has the potential to be very good. wondered where he was. glad to hear he is doing well.

Ironman80, ZACAR, DiverCity, sneakypete, DBWATCHDOG.

I think HappyHour22 is much closer to Catholic's program than I am. I tend to roam for the best game. Last Friday for example I was headed to OR for Maryville, and got spooked by the Doppler, went to see Fulton @ Bearden, got rained out and made it to Catholic to see Powell. I did see Catholic last yr. 3 times, 2 Fulton, 1 AE.

The Hood kid is as described, and was also rotating in at LT on offense. sneakypete is right about the Halls/DB scrimmage a couple of yrs. ago, and DB went on to have a good season. These thing don't mean much. Coaches seeing who can do what with whom, and so on. Also, IMO, there is not a great difference between the talent level in SOME 3A, 4A, and 5A teams.

IMO, Fulton's talent last yr. (Freeney, Hammilton, Higgins, Gildner, Winters, Cobb, Stokes, Rogan) and, Alcoa's in 05 (Warren, Sykes, Hicks, White, Sommer, Lanxter, etc) were just as good as any from a talent standpoint. Now REBRON, STARSNBARS, and the Mville guys will argue Melrose/Hillsboro of a few yrs. back. From a team perspective, I would agree, not so much from a talent perspective.

Catholic does have some talent. Tait @ OG/DT, 6-4, 295 was all state as soph last yr. What I did not know was that he is just 15. Heard UT/Bama/ND, bunch of others were by this spring. Both LBs are back Trusller, and the other Tait. Both 6-2, 225. and hit with authority against Powell. NG looked good. DEs, DB, all get there quickly. QB, Lindsey is back. Runs the offense well. Rotated fullbacks, RBs. WRs block well. Big. TE is Tim Irwins boy. 6-5, 235. Good blocker. From a talent standpoint, there should not be too much of a talent level drop off from Kingsport DB.

ruse?