Halls High Red Devils

DiverCity

Wow ruse has us all in a high spirited discussion. Lets be fair and civil. Constructive arguements aren't bad but belittling is a different story. Lets keep current players or ex players out of mix if all we are going to do is ridicule them.

I believe like most Halls is steamrolling and constantly getting better. I do think we will be better this year but may not have a better record. Bearden is a quality opponent and are light years ahead of Karns who we have traded for in our new schedule. Powell being down this year may offset our matchuop against the Bulldogs and now Halls could be in with a great shot with Sevier Co. & Central. Realistically fourth will be a good target to shoot for with a outside chance of third.

To keep things in perspective O'Conner was a excellent kicker and will be sorely missed. We never had to really defend kickoff returns most of the year and he did kick some impressive field goals. But to be fair he really didn't deceide any games and really had a tough time against Powell which we should have beaten the past two years. Most of the scoring just wasn't by O'Kicker lets be fair. Kitts, Dayton & Kelley did most of the grunt work and are still part of this team and are all seniors. That should suggest that this team should be better. The young defense last year was the telling point and how they meshed together and after being stung in the first few games bounched back and played great. Perhaps people overlook that but they were hungry and you could see we were moving forward regardless of the opposition.

Coach Julian isn't going to make everyone happy he knows what he has to deal with and against some peoples opinion he wants to win every game just like everyone else does. So against a formidable opponent he make have to slow the clock and play UGLY football sometimes to keep the game within reason. Somewhat like the Powell game last year.

In conclusion, Halls will have a better team this year and it will be a big dissapointment if we don't make the playoffs. But regardless lets rally around these players and Coaching staff and be the 12th man and give them the confidence to play the greatest game today. High School Football.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sarcasm-A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

I was responding to the questioning of my integrity and knowlege.

For what I see it would be hard for them to improve on thier 5-5 season, not because they havent got better, but because dropped karns and picked up bearden. Now you have loss instead of a win. We now have 4 atomatic losses on our schedule now w/ Maryville, West, Bearden, and Central. Not only do I believe we will lose, but not even score now that we lost O'Connor. Those four teams are about as much facts as you can come by.

gun816.

When in a debate concerning integrity, it is unwise to overly defend one's own character as it drives a perception of arrogance.

When in a debate concerning knowledge, it is unwise to speculate as it drives perception of deceit or position without fact.

There are no facts upon which to base the statement that Halls will have four automatic losses or that in those losses, Halls will not score because Logan O'Conner will not be kicking. That is speculation, and not fact.

ruse?

Wow ruse has us all in a high spirited discussion. Lets be fair and civil. Constructive arguements aren't bad but belittling is a different story. Lets keep current players or ex players out of mix if all we are going to do is ridicule them.

I believe like most Halls is steamrolling and constantly getting better. I do think we will be better this year but may not have a better record. Bearden is a quality opponent and are light years ahead of Karns who we have traded for in our new schedule. Powell being down this year may offset our matchuop against the Bulldogs and now Halls could be in with a great shot with Sevier Co. & Central. Realistically fourth will be a good target to shoot for with a outside chance of third.

To keep things in perspective O'Conner was a excellent kicker and will be sorely missed. We never had to really defend kickoff returns most of the year and he did kick some impressive field goals. But to be fair he really didn't deceide any games and really had a tough time against Powell which we should have beaten the past two years. Most of the scoring just wasn't by O'Kicker lets be fair. Kitts, Dayton & Kelley did most of the grunt work and are still part of this team and are all seniors. That should suggest that this team should be better. The young defense last year was the telling point and how they meshed together and after being stung in the first few games bounched back and played great. Perhaps people overlook that but they were hungry and you could see we were moving forward regardless of the opposition.

Coach Julian isn't going to make everyone happy he knows what he has to deal with and against some peoples opinion he wants to win every game just like everyone else does. So against a formidable opponent he make have to slow the clock and play UGLY football sometimes to keep the game within reason. Somewhat like the Powell game last year.

In conclusion, Halls will have a better team this year and it will be a big dissapointment if we don't make the playoffs. But regardless lets rally around these players and Coaching staff and be the 12th man and give them the confidence to play the greatest game today. High School Football.

ZACR.

Great post, both in content and spirit. Those that play, or HAVE played should appreciate those that remain supportive of people in our lives that are acting in the best interest of kids.

ruse?

Thanks Ruse.

Well this team looked great tonight compared to this spring. No misprint Halls 21 DB 13. All this with the first team exiting after 1 hour. Our Second & third teams played the last hour and 15 minutes and looked solid.

Turner's getting in the groove and found Dayton twice for in reality two touchdowns but one was waived off for no apparent reason. Who said Turner couldn't throw a deep route both looked around 40 yard plus in the air. Kitts and Kelley ran strong for the first team and the defense looks great I can't even begin to tell you about them. Gresham makes a great interception to stop a DB drive in the endzone. Linebackers played well and I'm sure I caught KJ having a big smile on his face. Defense at Halls this year will be something to write home about. Usually we go up to DB and most of the time get it handed to us but not this year. This team does remind me a little of the 05 team. They are swarming on the ball carrier and picking the Qb. I think four interceptions tonight and I may be conservative on that. Defensive backs looked impressive first and second team. A far cry from the William Blount showing in the spring.

Lets keep it going for Catholic this week.

gun816.

When in a debate concerning integrity, it is unwise to overly defend one's own character as it drives a perception of arrogance.

When in a debate concerning knowledge, it is unwise to speculate as it drives perception of deceit or position without fact.

There are no facts upon which to base the statement that Halls will have four automatic losses or that in those losses, Halls will not score because Logan O'Conner will not be kicking. That is speculation, and not fact.

ruse?

Really are we in a debate about my integrity I was pointing out the fact that you cant detect sarcasim. Back on planet earth Halls tied DB 7-7 on honestly a scrimmage I thought was going to be another william blount beat down. Offense did look better eventhough the only time we scored was when DB gave us the ball inside the 20, but still looked better. Defense really impressed me because DB usually has good speed and we seemed to have kept that in check, tackling still stunk, but we were able to get help when we needed it. Honestly I was shocked.

I think I saw that smile on KJ's face too, ZCAR. He was pretty fired up. I don't want to get too hyped up myself, but Halls really surprised me tonight. The offense was clicking on all cylinders. The O-line looked very good in run blocking. The defense was tight. DB came out in a spread and stayed with it. Halls' defensive backs acquitted themselves very well. And the linebackers stayed home and played their assignments, which kept DB's running game from kick-starting. All in all a good showing. We met (and maybe exceeded) some of the objectives cited by others in response to ruses? questions. With all that said, Catholic is extremely good and the kids have to stay humble and keep working extremely hard. But I'm proud of all of them.

My two cents worth:

1) LSMFT - We will not "go to DB and kick their butts" - don't be silly. We should look for positive steps in becoming a better team. I am very optimistic about this years team. However, DB is a powerhouse and we are not. Right now is the time to get better and identify/fix weaknesses. Look for this to be a better scrimmage next year.

2) Haveityourway - I agree about Coach J and last years team. A 5-5 record with 3-4 seniors contributing in our district - come on, CoachJ did a heck of a job. Kids fought hard and got better. That's a sign of a good coach. Keep up the improvement Coach J!

3) I got to see part of tonights practice. Both QB's looked good (I know it was the scout team). Players were working hard. I believe we will take a step forward at the DB scrimmage, but lets look for improvement on our side - not what the score is. As stated earlier, improvement in blocking and tackling will go along way.

4) Big hits were delivered tonight by the FB's!!!! - Both Kelley and Hodge delivered crushing blows to the defense(again, scout team I know). I knew Kelley looked good last year and was expecting to have a big year, but I don't remember seeing Hodge run the ball. One of the parents said he didn't play football until 8th grade. Does anyone know? Saw him walk by and boy is he built!! Look for him to have good future - maybe spot Kelly some this year. (Still believe Kelly will have a good year!!)

5) Is Dayton still hurt?? Saw him in a limited role and was told he is battling a leg injury. Will he play at DB or not? Make no mistake, as Reggie Jackson would say, he is the stick that stirs the drink on this team.

On a final note - from watching the kids and listening to the parents - this team seems to be getting along with one another and playing "for the team". If so, could this be a team of no names? I hope so.

I just wanted to say that Halls beat DB 21 to 7 in the scrimmage, so yes we kicked their butt.

Really are we in a debate about my integrity I was pointing out the fact that you cant detect sarcasim. Back on planet earth Halls tied DB 7-7 on honestly a scrimmage I thought was going to be another william blount beat down. Offense did look better eventhough the only time we scored was when DB gave us the ball inside the 20, but still looked better. Defense really impressed me because DB usually has good speed and we seemed to have kept that in check, tackling still stunk, but we were able to get help when we needed it. Honestly I was shocked.

Halls won 21 to 7 during the DB scrimmage

I just wanted to say that Halls beat DB 21 to 7 in the scrimmage, so yes we kicked their butt.

from what I was told, both teams had a few more chances to score and didn't, so it sounds pretty even to me. I'd hardly say this was a "butt kicking", but I'm sure that everyone was pleased with the effort.

I got to see most of the scrimmage. I saw it 21-7 overall. But is was only 7-7 with first strings in the game. (14-7 if a referee is in position to give Dayton the catch in the back of the end zone ruled incomplete) I would not say that Halls "kicked their butts." Overall, I think the teams look pretty even. I think Halls had four pickoffs and one fumble recovery and Halls lost two fumbles and one interception. Plus, Halls punted much better than DB.

DB fans are expecting an off year for them so I would not get too overly excited yet. I think it is great that Halls showed up and stood toe to toe with a good 5A program. I think DB scrimmages Central this week and we have Catholic and Carter. We will know better where we stand after that.

Keep getting better Halls. Good job!

gun816.

Here on earth, fact is Halls palyed head up with a good 5A program that is by most accounts in for a down year by their standards. Fact is 21-7 total is a nice start for Halls. Fact is Halls played far better than you expected. Fact is the most important thing in team defense is pursuit angles, then tackleing. Fact is if angles are being taught well, tackles will be there. Fact is the offence that Halls runs takes time and coordination to develop. Fact is Julian comes from a fine coaching tree. Fact is staying poitive is better than projecting negativity. Fact is you were "shocked." Fact is that is a good thing. Please enjoy the rest of the season.

ruse?