Who will win the 3A state championship?

timbdp

They didn't stop playing football at Fulton did they? Nope....I didn't think so. Fulton!!

Fulton is down a bit this year ... the OL/DL play is where they are lacking and games against big strong teams like Catholic and Oak Ridge and some others ..this is where it will be felt ... they may be in same mode next year and should be back maybe in 2009 .. they have a very good looking Freshman class this year .... Catholic's boys have been hitting weights hard and this could very well be the year for them .. their offense is different and hard to defend when they want 4 yards a carry and keep clock running and away from opposing offenses ... Fulton has had a good run but may have to take a couple years off from getting deep into playoffs .. well see !!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My pick right now is Fulton, I wanted to say Catholic, but after watching the Halls/ Catholic scrimmage, I dont think Catholic is quite there yet.

Catholic needs 1 or 2 more OL's to step up. The offense still moved the ball up and down the field on Halls, but 3 fumbles kept the scrimmage from being 35-0 to 14-0. The "D" is stout! Halls didn't stand a chance.

Catholic needs 1 or 2 more OL's to step up. The offense still moved the ball up and down the field on Halls, but 3 fumbles kept the scrimmage from being 35-0 to 14-0. The "D" is stout! Halls didn't stand a chance.

Thats why I think Catholic is just too stout in its OL/DL this year .... thats where they say the battle is won ... sometimes you win the battle and not the war if breaks go against you .. maybe Fulton can get some of those breaks that can turn the game .....

You people forget the athelete factor. Fulton will always have the athelete factor. Speed kills. I don't keep up with Fulton much these days but I would guess that coaching crew just reloads.

bigreid.

Fulton does have some great athletes this yr. Humphrey, Tyson, Smith, Stinson, Cobb, Stokes, Blair, etc. The only 3A team, IMO, that was athlete for athlete w/Fulton last yr. was Pearl Cohn.

In fact only a couple of teams had as many athletes last yr. as Fulton irrespective of class. Alcoa, whom Fulton beat, Hillsboro, Riverdale, Smyrna, Melrose come to mind.

This yr., IMO, Fulton does not have as many. I don't know about Pearl, but on paper, maybe not. AE has a number this yr., and while some may scoff at this notion; Catholic has quite a few. JMO. So too, does Dyersburg. Moneypenny, Tenpenny, Holt, and Rodgers at Lipscomb are also very athletic.

ruse?

ruse

Maryville has some athletes also. Everybody wants to talk about how well coached Maryville is. Maryville is well coached. They are fundementally sound. Best coaching staff in the state.But! Maryville also has some darn good football players. Tyler Maples is a great athlete. He led Maryville to state titles in Football and Basketball.Maples runs a 4.4 forty. Aaron Douglas is a great athlete for a 6'7 260lbs guy. He was the dominant player in the Boys State Basketball tourney last March.He is a great blocker with very soft hands. Brent Burnett is one of the states top passers. Steven Shiver is a great athlete.

Here are some other kids who were outstanding athletes. Landon Hall was a kid who ran a 4.7 forty. He was 5'10 190lbs. He is also one of the best wrestlers in Tennessee. He is at Carson Newman. Dwight Wood ran a 4.6 He is 6' 205lbs. He is at Lambuth College. Tank Baker was 5'9 215lbs and ran a 4.7 He was the strongest player on the team last year.

Maryville over the years has had a few D1 players. What people don't realize is they send a ton of kids to small schools like Austin Peay,Carson Newman,Tusculum,Maryville College,Cumberland,Union and TN Martin.

While Maryville doesn't always have the 6'5 290lbs linemen. They are always chock full of kids who are around the 6'1 235-240lbs range who are very athletic. You don't see any big fat linemen at Maryville. Give me a kid who is athletic around the 230lbs mark over a big overweight kid who is 6'5 290 anyday.

As great of a coaching staff Maryville has. You don't win titles without good players. You don't win the Kentucky Derby with a mule.