Who will win the 3A state championship?

timbdp

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ruse

Maryville has some athletes also. Everybody wants to talk about how well coached Maryville is. Maryville is well coached. They are fundementally sound. Best coaching staff in the state.But! Maryville also has some darn good football players. Tyler Maples is a great athlete. He led Maryville to state titles in Football and Basketball.Maples runs a 4.4 forty. Aaron Douglas is a great athlete for a 6'7 260lbs guy. He was the dominant player in the Boys State Basketball tourney last March.He is a great blocker with very soft hands. Brent Burnett is one of the states top passers. Steven Shiver is a great athlete.

Here are some other kids who were outstanding athletes. Landon Hall was a kid who ran a 4.7 forty. He was 5'10 190lbs. He is also one of the best wrestlers in Tennessee. He is at Carson Newman. Dwight Wood ran a 4.6 He is 6' 205lbs. He is at Lambuth College. Tank Baker was 5'9 215lbs and ran a 4.7 He was the strongest player on the team last year.

Maryville over the years has had a few D1 players. What people don't realize is they send a ton of kids to small schools like Austin Peay,Carson Newman,Tusculum,Maryville College,Cumberland,Union and TN Martin.

While Maryville doesn't always have the 6'5 290lbs linemen. They are always chock full of kids who are around the 6'1 235-240lbs range who are very athletic. You don't see any big fat linemen at Maryville. Give me a kid who is athletic around the 230lbs mark over a big overweight kid who is 6'5 290 anyday.

As great of a coaching staff Maryville has. You don't win titles without good players. You don't win the Kentucky Derby with a mule.

Hey REBELRON.

My appologies. You are absolutely right judging soley by the fact that Mville won state championships last year in 2 of the major men's sports. Justin Smith, Marcus Englehardt, Tyler Clendenon, Shiver, etc, are great lineman and athletes. I would expect that all of them will be playing on Saturdays somewhere, and well, Douglas is just special. He may play on Sunday. Now back to 3A, and Fulton. Obviously Rogan was a great HS football player. However, Dennis Freeney was the guy that really made that team go. When Alcoa held Rogan in check, it was Freeney who kept them moving the ball, and it was Freeny who laid the wood on Alcoa's WR's & RB's. When Catholic held Rogan to 60 yds, and was up by 2 scores w/6 minutes left, it was Freeney who returned the punts and made the TD grab. Freenwy was a D1 prospect @ ATH. Hammilton. 6-2, 290 @ DT, and....fullback. Hammilton pounded the Lipscomb DL/LB's in the 2nd half last yr. untill Rogan broke their back. Many say Bubba Stokes (who was MVP of the game and All State at LB as JR. last year) did the damage. Not so. Hammilton was relentless. Hammilton, when he wanted to be, was by far the most domminant DT in the state last yr. I hope he takes care of business @JC, and straps it on in the SEC/ACC somewhere. He is every bit the talent Langley @ UT is right now. 3 other OL/DLs from that team should also pop up on rosters if they take care of business at their respective JCs as well. Blake Gildner and the Winters kid, along with JaMicheal Mathis were the same size/mold as Hall, and Wood. When you have that kind of talent in a SR class with JRs like Tyson, Humphrey, Smith, Cobb, Stokes, you win. Those JRs are now SRs and kids like Blair and Stinson are now JRs, and the athletes keep coming behind them.

Having said all that about Fulton, and much the same could be said about AE, the athletic ability of some of the kids at Catholic is pretty impressive. That coupled with the fact that Catholic should by now, be familiar w/the level of athletes that those schools put on the field, and in having the confidence to beat them; which, they have done. Their off season program must be like Maryville's. I don't know what their times are, and I am pretty skeptical of times, but both DE/OLB (Giles/Mubarak) types must be 4.7 guys, and look to be 190, and 210 respectively. Both ILB's look to be 4.7-4.8 and 220, with the Tait kid closer to 230 IMO. All the DB's look like clones. Most 165-180, quick 4.7-4.8 kids, maybe some 4.6 guys. The DL is talented. This Hood kid who came down from Kingsport or Sullivan, and sat last yr as a Soph has big potential. 6-5, 250 or so. No fat, and must be 4.9. range. They have another kid Coulter, I think who looks a lot like Egnlhardt build wise. Also 4.9 range. I watched the Zak Tait kid's video on rivals and @ 6-4, 300 he must be a 5.2. While listed as a OG prospect, his athletisim on D was incerdible, and many of the clips on both sides seemed to be against Fulton (Hammilton) or AE. WR's are pretty big, athletic, blockers. Tim Irwin's boy is 6-5, 235 lb TE, RB's are #32 who is 6-2, 210, and fast, and the other is Vann, #2, 5-9, maybe 170, and slick as snot.

My point is not so much that Catholic is going to win a Championship, but that they like a Lipscomb or a Maryville do have a # of very good athletes, that are perhaps not thought of as such, and that Catholic, IMO, (been saying this for a while REBELRON, and Big Country) is building a serious high school program that is where maryville was 5-6 yrs. ago.

ruse?

No doubt about Knoxville Catholic ruse?. They have been the best team in Class 3A over the last two years from weeks 0-12. In week 13 of the last two years they have lost two HEARTBREAKERS to LA & Fulton respectively. Both were games that Catholic can easily make the argument that they should have won.

For this reason plus the fact that KC returns a lot of studs from last year's bunch I have picked them as my #1 ranked team. They were #1 in the poll that I submitted to Murphy Fair's Magazine for CCCHS. YES I JUST GAVE AWAY CONFIDENTIAL INFO BUT WHO CARES???????

Knoxvill Catholic will win a state title in the not too distant future. They'll win multiple titles in all likelihood.

ON A SIDE NOTE

You are absolutely right about Antonio Hamilton. In Fulton's big games against teams like AE, Carter, Knoxville Catholic, Pearl Cohn, & David Lipscomb the kid was the most dominant player on the field. He, along with Higgins, were two huge tackles that when they cranked up and played were all but unstoppable. THE THING THAT I DO NOT LIKE ABOUT HAMILTON IS THE FACT THAT HE DOES TAKE PLAYS OFF AND WHEN FULTON WAS CLEARLY BETTER THAN A TEAM LIKE LA, SCOTT, OR ANDERSON CO. LAST YEAR HE WOULD TAKE MULTIPLE PLAYS OFF BECAUSE THE TEAM WOULD BE ABLE TO GET BY IN THOSE CONTESTS WITHOUT HIS SERVICES!!!! If Hamilton plays every rep to the fullest then he will someday down the line be a star in either the SEC or ACC. There aren't many 300lbs. kids with that kind of athleticism and strength walking around the country these days (especially ones that just graduated HIGH SCHOOL).

No doubt about Knoxville Catholic ruse?. They have been the best team in Class 3A over the last two years from weeks 0-12. In week 13 of the last two years they have lost two HEARTBREAKERS to LA & Fulton respectively. Both were games that Catholic can easily make the argument that they should have won.

For this reason plus the fact that KC returns a lot of studs from last year's bunch I have picked them as my #1 ranked team. They were #1 in the poll that I submitted to Murphy Fair's Magazine for CCCHS. YES I JUST GAVE AWAY CONFIDENTIAL INFO BUT WHO CARES???????

Knoxvill Catholic will win a state title in the not too distant future. They'll win multiple titles in all likelihood.

ON A SIDE NOTE

You are absolutely right about Antonio Hamilton. In Fulton's big games against teams like AE, Carter, Knoxville Catholic, Pearl Cohn, & David Lipscomb the kid was the most dominant player on the field. He, along with Higgins, were two huge tackles that when they cranked up and played were all but unstoppable. THE THING THAT I DO NOT LIKE ABOUT HAMILTON IS THE FACT THAT HE DOES TAKE PLAYS OFF AND WHEN FULTON WAS CLEARLY BETTER THAN A TEAM LIKE LA, SCOTT, OR ANDERSON CO. LAST YEAR HE WOULD TAKE MULTIPLE PLAYS OFF BECAUSE THE TEAM WOULD BE ABLE TO GET BY IN THOSE CONTESTS WITHOUT HIS SERVICES!!!! If Hamilton plays every rep to the fullest then he will someday down the line be a star in either the SEC or ACC. There aren't many 300lbs. kids with that kind of athleticism and strength walking around the country these days (especially ones that just graduated HIGH SCHOOL).

Hey BC.

With your stature, pretty sure ole Murph might let it slide. I like watching programs build, but at the end of the day, I find them rather boring. That is why I follow 2-3A. AE, LA, Fulton, Catholic have all beenl so competitive, and keep upping the ante. Alcoa rule without much interruption in 2A over here, but Sweetwater, and CAK could push this yr. 4A. Mville, and I hope Central, West, Halls, keep interesting 2-4. MoWest, and East should both be good. 5A is dissapointing at best this way. DB is down, OR ain't what they used to be. Perhaps Stanton Stevens can get back to 05 form? Another interesting piece on Antonio is that as a Soph, he started at LB. At that time he was a scrwany 265 lbs, and quite a bit quicker. Yeah, you are right about the "taking plays off." Old ZonePirate called it right about the Tait brothers at the Alabama camp. You really should check out Zak Tait highlights on rivals. There are two up. D is great. On O, he pancakes Hammilton once, drives him up, and back once, and drives Higgins almost out of view. That, as a 15 yr.old Soph. The other, Dustin, who I guess is a SR. really does just unload on OL's and ball carriers @ ILB. Unapproved website had him on there, said he knew how to tackle. IMO, he could wrap up better, but then again, when you knock them off their feet on initial contact, no need to. Now, will you be able to update us on the DL scrimmage later on?? Thanks.

ruse?

ON A SIDE NOTE

I agree about Hamilton ..I watched him play for 4 years, taking plays off etc ... I told him last year that he could single handedly decide outcomes of games if he decided to play and some games he did just that .. a great talent that if he does what he needs to do can definately play D1 football ... I agree that Catholic has had the last 2 years teams that could have been in the BC bowl and won ... last year Fulton won a game that Catholic had control of for 3 qtrs .. the year before you mentioned them loosing to LA ... well Fulton dominated the Catholic playoff game that year only to loose on a miraculous catch by H Smith in the endzone not to mention converting some 4th downs on the way .. I truly believe had Fulton won that game that they would have won State in 2005 .. so looks like the tables turned last year on Catholic .. loosing on a miraculous catch in the end zone ... I think Catholic is in line to do it this year .. they look to be alot stronger and experienced in OL/DL 's than Fulton ... Fulton will try its best and may win some games with its athletes but with the losses in the OL/DL ..teams will be looking to run right at them and try to dominate the line of scrimmage ... this is where they are vulnerable at this time .. hopefullt they will improve and some Soph's get alot stronger and gain experience as the season goes on .....

ruse

Maryville has some athletes also. Everybody wants to talk about how well coached Maryville is. Maryville is well coached. They are fundementally sound. Best coaching staff in the state.But! Maryville also has some darn good football players. Tyler Maples is a great athlete. He led Maryville to state titles in Football and Basketball.Maples runs a 4.4 forty. Aaron Douglas is a great athlete for a 6'7 260lbs guy. He was the dominant player in the Boys State Basketball tourney last March.He is a great blocker with very soft hands. Brent Burnett is one of the states top passers. Steven Shiver is a great athlete.

Here are some other kids who were outstanding athletes. Landon Hall was a kid who ran a 4.7 forty. He was 5'10 190lbs. He is also one of the best wrestlers in Tennessee. He is at Carson Newman. Dwight Wood ran a 4.6 He is 6' 205lbs. He is at Lambuth College. Tank Baker was 5'9 215lbs and ran a 4.7 He was the strongest player on the team last year.

Maryville over the years has had a few D1 players. What people don't realize is they send a ton of kids to small schools like Austin Peay,Carson Newman,Tusculum,Maryville College,Cumberland,Union and TN Martin.

While Maryville doesn't always have the 6'5 290lbs linemen. They are always chock full of kids who are around the 6'1 235-240lbs range who are very athletic. You don't see any big fat linemen at Maryville. Give me a kid who is athletic around the 230lbs mark over a big overweight kid who is 6'5 290 anyday.

As great of a coaching staff Maryville has. You don't win titles without good players. You don't win the Kentucky Derby with a mule.

i could of sworn that this was a 3a thread......GO FALCONS!!

Hey BC.

With your stature, pretty sure ole Murph might let it slide. I like watching programs build, but at the end of the day, I find them rather boring. That is why I follow 2-3A. AE, LA, Fulton, Catholic have all beenl so competitive, and keep upping the ante. Alcoa rule without much interruption in 2A over here, but Sweetwater, and CAK could push this yr. 4A. Mville, and I hope Central, West, Halls, keep interesting 2-4. MoWest, and East should both be good. 5A is dissapointing at best this way. DB is down, OR ain't what they used to be. Perhaps Stanton Stevens can get back to 05 form? Another interesting piece on Antonio is that as a Soph, he started at LB. At that time he was a scrwany 265 lbs, and quite a bit quicker. Yeah, you are right about the "taking plays off." Old ZonePirate called it right about the Tait brothers at the Alabama camp. You really should check out Zak Tait highlights on rivals. There are two up. D is great. On O, he pancakes Hammilton once, drives him up, and back once, and drives Higgins almost out of view. That, as a 15 yr.old Soph. The other, Dustin, who I guess is a SR. really does just unload on OL's and ball carriers @ ILB. Unapproved website had him on there, said he knew how to tackle. IMO, he could wrap up better, but then again, when you knock them off their feet on initial contact, no need to. Now, will you be able to update us on the DL scrimmage later on?? Thanks.

ruse?

Hey ruse, sorry it took so late for me to reply. I was unable to attend the DL scrimmage last week as you already knew. I am going to watch the scrimmage tomorrow between David Lipscomb & Sycamore. I will give a summary to you when I get back.

I just watched those highlights on Rivals. The Taits are both excellent players. I saw some of Eberle on film from last year against Polk Co. & White House. He is a stud as well at ND. The Taits will have Knoxville Catholic in the hunt for the big one at the end of the year no doubt about it.

Tadvols & ruse?, you both know that I love Higgins & Hamilton as players. Both young men were the difference makers on the defensive side of the football in Fulton's wins last year over Pearl Cohn & David Lipscomb. Rogan had big games rushing against both of those teams and neither of those teams could really run the football against Fulton. If both would have played every game the way that they did in those two games then they'd be at bigger schools than where they are right now. Maybe reality had hit them after the Catholic playoff win and they knew that as seniors they had two games to go before it was all over. Maybe they just were lazy at times but when they cranked up and played they became UNSTOPPABLE!!! Who knows???? I do know that when I watched them both in those two games they were the two most dominant players on the field defensively.

i wouldn't be so quick to crown knoxville catholic. IMO fulton is still king, and will be again this year. everyone is sayin all about catholic dominating the 3 quarters of last years playoff game, and that they should've beatin LA 2 years ago but when it all comes down to it. Fulton did when the big game when it needed to so until catholic does that and gets the gold, i just don't buy it.

i wouldn't be so quick to crown knoxville catholic. IMO fulton is still king, and will be again this year. everyone is sayin all about catholic dominating the 3 quarters of last years playoff game, and that they should've beatin LA 2 years ago but when it all comes down to it. Fulton did when the big game when it needed to so until catholic does that and gets the gold, i just don't buy it.

CO-SIGN

Yea, that region is kind of like the SEC in that respect. probably the toughest in TN., but they all beat the crap out of each other all year.

I would not say beat each other up, clearly the class of that district is A-E, Catholic and Fulton (in no particular order). I know Livingston won the title a few years ago, but playing against those three teams probably helped them (and the QB Cates). Should be an exciting year within that district again.