Will Temple's problems finally cause a public-private split?

Just for the sake of clearing up any misconceptions could someone explain how the "breakfast program" actually works?

Also do any of the Chattanooga schools use work aid programs?

I would really like to hear answers to both questions but hopefully from someone at the schools that actually knows what the situations are.

I don't know what the Breakfast Program is, and neither does anyone else not involved I would guess. There have been rumors but we all know how accurate they usually are.

And I can't speak for any privates except the one I know of about work aid. By work aid I would assume that you mean that the kids work over the summer to pay off tuition. Boyd doesn't do that. That said, the school does hire 4 to 6 kids a year to work in the summer. But they are paid right at minimum wage and recieve a check that they can do what they wish with. Further, not all are athletes, so I would think that those kids wouldn't be considered 'work-aid' but rather part time help. Again, I don't know about any other privates first hand.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that private school kids as a general rule are more motivated. The question still remains, however...are they more motivated because they were born that way or because of their school environment? Chicken or egg...I would say a little of both.

There are motivated kids with motivating parents (important key) in public schools. The precentage of those kids and parents at private schools is much higher than at public schools. (at least at schools I am familiar with, Boyd being one). Every time a movated kid moves out of a public school into a private school the pool of motivated kids becomes more diluted. The school environment has some to do with it but I feel the parental involvement is more of a factor than anything. If your are paying money to send your kid to a private school you are going to make sure your kid stays motivated

There are motivated kids with motivating parents (important key) in public schools. The precentage of those kids and parents at private schools is much higher than at public schools. (at least at schools I am familiar with, Boyd being one). Every time a movated kid moves out of a public school into a private school the pool of motivated kids becomes more diluted. The school environment has some to do with it but I feel the parental involvement is more of a factor than anything. If your are paying money to send your kid to a private school you are going to make sure your kid stays motivated

Temple requires each parent to volunteer 10 hours per year. A very successful public school is CSAS and they also require parents to volunteer hours. Do you think one of the problems with the publics is an entitlement mentality? It is a government funded institution. This may not come out right, but I wonder if it is related to the problem that goes along with government funded housing, health insurance, food, etc. where people become dependent upon it and lose a sense of responsibility. Because some kids have always, along with their parents, gone to public school, do you think involvement in the school never emerges into their conscious thinking?

If so, what can concerned public school activists do to breed more involvement and sense of responsibility?

I don't know what the Breakfast Program is, and neither does anyone else not involved I would guess. There have been rumors but we all know how accurate they usually are.

And I can't speak for any privates except the one I know of about work aid. By work aid I would assume that you mean that the kids work over the summer to pay off tuition. Boyd doesn't do that. That said, the school does hire 4 to 6 kids a year to work in the summer. But they are paid right at minimum wage and receive a check that they can do what they wish with. Further, not all are athletes, so I would think that those kids wouldn't be considered 'work-aid' but rather part time help. Again, I don't know about any other privates first hand.

I don't see any problem with kids working at the school during the summer. It is done at SP and rooms get painted, weeds get pulled, etc and the kids get paid a laborers wage. If these kids weren't doing the work somebody would have to be hired. As long as there is actual work being done I think it is great to use the kids

The breakfast program (as I overheard being talked about by Coach Allen) is where they furnish breakfast for underprivileged kids. I didn't catch whether they go to neighborhoods or schools or the kids come to Silverdale. As I said before a noble effort if done entirely for the right reasons. When the head coach is involved in running the program and the neighborhoods are recognized as where athletes are it raises a few flags. Maybe it's innocent but it just isn't perceived that way. I can tell you that his idea about starting a breakfast program in South Pittsburg received a rather cool reception . In a TFP article on 8/24 Efrin Stewart made a statement (C & P below) that is directed at these type programs. I think having a coach involved will always led to suspicions about motives.

"According to Efrin Stewart, a Tyner assistant coach who has also coached the Brainerd Bills 12-under teams for 27 years, recruiting has now moved below the middle school ranks and sometimes even away from the field. Stewart said some "nonrecruiting recruiters" have used church engagements as chances to get in good with players and their families."

Temple requires each parent to volunteer 10 hours per year. A very successful public school is CSAS and they also require parents to volunteer hours. Do you think one of the problems with the publics is an entitlement mentality? It is a government funded institution. This may not come out right, but I wonder if it is related to the problem that goes along with government funded housing, health insurance, food, etc. where people become dependent upon it and lose a sense of responsibility. Because some kids have always, along with their parents, gone to public school, do you think involvement in the school never emerges into their conscious thinking?

If so, what can concerned public school activists do to breed more involvement and sense of responsibility?

If you are required to "Volunteer" are you really volunteering?? Joke aside I do think that is a good idea

I think that would be too broad a brush. Entitlement mentality has some to do with it but I see people who are living in public housing that volunteer and support their kids while other more fortunate folks don't seem to care. I think it has to do more with how people are raised and the changes in society as a whole. Rich or poor if you are raised to be responsible you tend to raise your kids in the same way. Because of sports, church or other factors the bad patterns can be broken. The private schools have responsible parents raising responsible kids because unlike public schools if they have problems they can weed out the bad eggs very quickly. It's tougher to do in public schools.

If you are required to "Volunteer" are you really volunteering?? Joke aside I do think that is a good idea

I think that would be too broad a brush. Entitlement mentality has some to do with it but I see people who are living in public housing that volunteer and support their kids while other more fortunate folks don't seem to care. I think it has to do more with how people are raised and the changes in society as a whole. Rich or poor if you are raised to be responsible you tend to raise your kids in the same way. Because of sports, church or other factors the bad patterns can be broken. The private schools have responsible parents raising responsible kids because unlike public schools if they have problems they can weed out the bad eggs very quickly. It's tougher to do in public schools.

You make some very good points (Especially that volunteering thing ).

I remember when CSAS started up they had an interview process. I do not remember the details but apparently they had more National Honor Society (?) members than all the other privates combined and some of the parents from schools like McCallie, GPS, Baylor, etc. were upset that they were paying thosands of dollars a year for high quality educations and here a public school was out performing them. I probably do not have the story quite right but I think the general idea is there. Zone, You are OLD ( ) enough to remember that, are you not?

NHS is based on GPA.

Getting a 3.75 at CSAS and geting a 3.75 at McCallie are two very different things.

I am not trying to down CSAS, it is a good school.

I may not be correct about it being the National Honor Society... Whatever it was, the parents of the privates put pressure on the school board (?) to make CSAS stop or alter their interview process (?). A little help here from someone?