Will Temple's problems finally cause a public-private split?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've held my tongue as long as I can here: Why, oh why, in the world would the actions of ONE school spell doom for the others of similar structure? Why in the wide world of sports can anyone assume (yes, I know what that means) that you can lump these schools together and say "well, they are all guilty of the same things." Ludicrous!

I can only respond that I personally KNOW families whose kids are attending public schools out of zone by working the system. A relatives address, a "hardship" transfer, an apartment across the state or zone line, whatever. Do I think that ALL public schools are guilty of this? Of course not!

Temples problems are there own! I hurt for those kids, I hurt for the innocent bystanders, I hurt for the reputation of the past coaches and players and I hurt for their loyal and honest fans. To say that this drives a wedge into the public/private debate is about like saying that the Mets and Yankees cheat because they are both in New York. Only the very uneducated and voluntarily blind will argue the point.

I know several schools (public and private) who have made honest mistakes in playing ineligable kids, had kids fall behind on tuition, had a zealous parent make pie-in-the-sky promises, played kids who were in academic trouble, etc... and SELF-reported in a BIG hurry! They corrected the situation post-haste, no matter whose head hit the cabbage basket. IMO that has made a big difference in probation periods, punishments and fines. It shows institutional awareness, control and discipline.

Temple deserves a fair hearing, is innocent until proven guilty (which sadly, is inevitable) and the innocent treated as such! In the words of Andy Taylor: Y'all act like you got some smarts.

Whew, I feel better.

I've held my tongue as long as I can here: Why, oh why, in the world would the actions of ONE school spell doom for the others of similar structure? Why in the wide world of sports can anyone assume (yes, I know what that means) that you can lump these schools together and say "well, they are all guilty of the same things." Ludicrous!

I can only respond that I personally KNOW families whose kids are attending public schools out of zone by working the system. A relatives address, a "hardship" transfer, an apartment across the state or zone line, whatever. Do I think that ALL public schools are guilty of this? Of course not!

Temples problems are there own! I hurt for those kids, I hurt for the innocent bystanders, I hurt for the reputation of the past coaches and players and I hurt for their loyal and honest fans. To say that this drives a wedge into the public/private debate is about like saying that the Mets and Yankees cheat because they are both in New York. Only the very uneducated and voluntarily blind will argue the point.

I know several schools (public and private) who have made honest mistakes in playing ineligable kids, had kids fall behind on tuition, had a zealous parent make pie-in-the-sky promises, played kids who were in academic trouble, etc... and SELF-reported in a BIG hurry! They corrected the situation post-haste, no matter whose head hit the cabbage basket. IMO that has made a big difference in probation periods, punishments and fines. It shows institutional awareness, control and discipline.

Temple deserves a fair hearing, is innocent until proven guilty (which sadly, is inevitable) and the innocent treated as such! In the words of Andy Taylor: Y'all act like you got some smarts.

Whew, I feel better.

I am educated and I can see, just for the record. I started this thread because I believe that Temple's situation, if not handled correctly-or perceived that way, will act to further the cause for a split. There are enough people out there right now who want a split but haven't been able to get it. If Temple is found guilty and not punished with something that fits their "crime" then the screams for a split will be too loud not to hear. Only my opinion, I am a private school guy but as I said, I can see and I do read!

Whew, I feel better.

you bring up some very agreeable points. howver, i do think that perception is reality with most people and if one private school breaks the rules, the perception is that all privates do so. is this right or fair? No. its the old cliche, "It is what it is."

Whew, I feel better.

good post

Judging from the article in yesterdays TFP, the privates ought to be demanding that the publics quit their recruiting. I could not believe all the recruiting that goes on in public schools. Why, the audacity of high school coaches lining up next to each other on the football field trying to get noticed by 8th grade athletes. How bold! I guess they think that just because they do not charge tuition, they can just do whatever they want.

Judging from the article in yesterdays TFP, the privates ought to be demanding that the publics quit their recruiting. I could not believe all the recruiting that goes on in public schools. Why, the audacity of high school coaches lining up next to each other on the football field trying to get noticed by 8th grade athletes. How bold! I guess they think that just because they do not charge tuition, they can just do whatever they want.

I'd hope you understand the difference between the things Temple's apparently done and coaches standing on the fence, regardless if they're trying to attract attention or not. If the administrators would have any guts on zoning issues in Chattanooga there would be no problems with students switching schools after eighth grade. I didn't read any specifics on any publics recruiting, just the coaches on the fence. Is that any different than Notre Dame putting up a billboard with one of their volleyball players, their coach and a mention of their state title, stating "player of the year, coach of the year and state champs?" This wasn't near their school though there could have been one there also, this was at the foot of Lookout Mountain and I'm sure you understand why it was placed there.

If Tyner's assistant knows anything he's required by TSSAA rules to tell them otherwise he's in violation as are any breaking them. There were no specific public schools mentioned in the article, there seemed to be a reference to Silverdale in one part and the other had Sliverdale's Coach (they hated Jesus, so they'll hate me too) Allen changing the subject when his half-a-dozen transfers were brought up.