Will Temple's problems finally cause a public-private split?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chastain was a coach for the last 2 years at Temple

Someone from Temple correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Chastain only coached at Temple 1 year. If memory serves, he showed up at Temple at the same time Ridely and Larson did. Since they came from the same school, it may have been a situation where Chastain said to the boys "I'm going to coach at Temple next year, wanna come over?" I don't see how that would be a violation if Chastain wasn't even at Temple yet.

A bunch of fans of schools that Temple beat last year think they had to have cheated to do so. They will all be sorely dissapointed when Temple is cleared.

Someone from Temple correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Chastain only coached at Temple 1 year. If memory serves, he showed up at Temple at the same time Ridely and Larson did. Since they came from the same school, it may have been a situation where Chastain said to the boys "I'm going to coach at Temple next year, wanna come over?" I don't see how that would be a violation if Chastain wasn't even at Temple yet.

None of this looks good for Temple. Thank you for giving honest private schools a black eye. Whether it is warranted or not, it never looks good when a group starts to circle the wagons.

Ok, ok not 2 full years. The whole 2006 season and started the 2007 season as head coach. If Chastain had actually said "I'm going to coach at Temple next year, wanna come over?" after he accepted (or maybe even was approached about) the Temple job then there is no doubt that it was recruiting. It doesn't take much. See www.TSSAA.org .Somebody at Temple needs to know the rules .

I could be wrong but I believe that I first saw Chastain hanging around Temple in the Spring of 2005. He coached as an assistant on the varsity football team in the fall of 2006. He also coached the middle school basketball program. And if I am not mistaken was in involved in the 2005 and 2006 middle school baseball team. He was named head coach of the varsity football program in December 2006. He was actively involved in starting a weight training program for the boys from then until his departure.

That is about all I know

Pasture, sorry but it sounds a little like whistling past the graveyard .

Unfortunately for Temple the recruting allegations occured at the same time that Temple got good enough to make a championship run and Chastain was tied to the two kids who filled some really big holes for Temple. With even the Temple Admin implying Chastain was recruiting it really makes their coming to Temple more suspicious. It may never be proved or disproved but it will always be a question mark.

One of two things happened, (1) Chastain was recruiting and Marcum and Pearson were convinced enough of the fact that they fired him ("We were never able to nail down a concrete violation, but there was a lot of dishonesty from what Coach Chastain had told us," Marcum said. "I hated to do it, but that was the reason we had to fire him.") or (2) Marcum and Pearson concocted that story to fire him for other reasons (Chastain - "Since I left, I do feel like the Temple administration has been very dishonest about why I was fired and what really happened."). Temple has a PR mess at the least and if some of these things are proven then I see some penalities headed Temple's way. The TSSAA isn't out to hurt kids but Chastain was a coach for the last 2 years at Temple so if he violated rules then Temple, not Chastain, will be the one to pay. If they were to let Temple skate just because they fired the offending coach it would set a bad example. I hope all of you left can get it all straightened out

When Chastain was a coach for Temple and put his son in 3 games, where was the head coach? Who is ultimately responsible? Coach Skogen should have known what was happening. He should have known the rules. There is a very huge question out there. Did Coach Skogen know what was going on when Chastain played an ineligible player or were there other players in the same category? What about his sons? Temple is trying to get this over and focused in a direction that they are trying to steer things to-Chastain. If he goes down and takes the blame, Temple hopes maybe the investigation will go away!

When Chastain was a coach for Temple and put his son in 3 games, where was the head coach? Who is ultimately responsible? Coach Skogen should have known what was happening. He should have known the rules. There is a very huge question out there. Did Coach Skogen know what was going on when Chastain played an ineligible player or were there other players in the same category? What about his sons? Temple is trying to get this over and focused in a direction that they are trying to steer things to-Chastain. If he goes down and takes the blame, Temple hopes maybe the investigation will go away!

Are you saying that every head coach of every private school ought to know if every kid is paying tuition or not? That seems more like the responsibility of the administration or the Athletic Director.

According to today's article, the school sent Chastain a bill for his son's tuition which he neglected/refused to pay.

If that's the case, his son still should not have been playing. Pin the blame on whoever you want to but if the money wasn't there he shouldn't have played.

I agree. But the TSSAA handbook does say basically that it is the principal's responsibility to make sure everything/everyone is eligible.

One thing I am not sure on is the situation with him being an 8th grader. He was not under TSSAA jurisdiction. I know that 8th graders can be moved up to JV or Varsity. Did the son have to be added to the varsity roster even as an 8th grader to even be able to play in a varsity game?

One good thing about all this is that for those of us who have been a little sketchy in the past on what exactly the rules say, we are getting a crash course, are we not?