Will Temple's problems finally cause a public-private split?

If Temple is found guilty of infractions in football, but only given a couple of years of post-season playoff ban, then the pressure will be on the TSSAA to have a total split. The TSSAA does NOT want a split or we would have had one years ago. The only hope for those who want to keep the TSSAA like it is today is for the HAMMER to come down on Temple as an example to all if they are found guilty!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This time it will be different. The multiplier was put in a couple of years back to try to appease the publics. Now they say all the problems moved up a classification or two but they are still there. Just watch and see. It is not an easy time for our schools waiting to see the outcome at Temple and how it all affects the rest of us!

Whatever happens with the Temple situation, including nothing at all, will have an effect on us, Grace, CCS, David Brainerd, ND, and all the other small christian schools. We will likely face traveling and competing with schools we don't want to be playing if a split occurs.

No, you won't. This has been gone over plenty of times, with all private schools in Division II travel would be reasonable, if not ideal for some schools. I believe the TSSAA used your concern, the smallest private schools' fear of playing Brentwood Academy, etc, to help prevent a total split. They did not clarify how there would be classifications within the division, and in basketball, other sports, made one class-in my opinion to try and keep as many private schools in Division I as possible.

This time it will be different. The multiplier was put in a couple of years back to try to appease the publics. Now they say all the problems moved up a classification or two but they are still there. Just watch and see. It is not an easy time for our schools waiting to see the outcome at Temple and how it all affects the rest of us!

The public schools wanted a split 2 years ago. They knew the problem would only move up. The one thing that people underestimated was the ability of the private schools that were left in 1a, to take over where the others left off. It didn't take long. I'd say 5 of the best 1a schools in the state were private last season.. Good chance it will be the same this season.

The public schools wanted a split 2 years ago. They knew the problem would only move up. The one thing that people underestimated was the ability of the private schools that were left in 1a, to take over where the others left off. It didn't take long. I'd say 5 of the best 1a schools in the state were private last season.. Good chance it will be the same this season.

I agree and because of that the publics are now looking to see how some of these small privates like Temple got so good so fast and will demand a total split. The fact that Temple will be dramatically worse this year after beating everyone last year will be magnified!!!

I agree and because of that the publics are now looking to see how some of these small privates like Temple got so good so fast and will demand a total split. The fact that Temple will be dramatically worse this year after beating everyone last year will be magnified!!!

I'm a public school guy ,but I'm not in favor of a split. The multiplier should be enough to even things out. Sure,private schools gets a few impact transfers, but I think their biggest advantage is having good hard working,dependable kids. Good hard working parents usually raise good hard working kids. Public schools have these same kind of kids, but the percentages would be extremely low. Wonder how many kids who attend these private schools gets food stamps.

I'm a public school guy ,but I'm not in favor of a split. The multiplier should be enough to even things out. Sure,private schools gets a few impact transfers, but I think their biggest advantage is having good hard working,dependable kids. Good hard working parents usually raise good hard working kids. Public schools have these same kind of kids, but the percentages would be extremely low. Wonder how many kids who attend these private schools gets food stamps.

Just the 6'5", 270lbs, 40 time of 4.8 get the stamps.

If Temple is found guilty of infractions in football, but only given a couple of years of post-season playoff ban, then the pressure will be on the TSSAA to have a total split. The TSSAA does NOT want a split or we would have had one years ago. The only hope for those who want to keep the TSSAA like it is today is for the HAMMER to come down on Temple as an example to all if they are found guilty

The only fair way is a total split. The TSSAA is not going to enforce recruiting rules violations anyway. Chattanooga could have their very own private school leaque. Norte Dame, Boyd, Temple, David Brainard, Grace, and Silverdale would give you 5 district games. Continue to play local publics for non-region games. Play for own state championships!

Yes, that's right. In a two class private division, with all privates, you'd probably have Chattanooga Grace, Silverdale, Temple, Boyd-Buchanan and David Brainerd in the smaller class. McCallie, Baylor, Notre Dame, possibly Chattanooga Christian depending on the cutoff, with Knoxville Catholic and Knoxville Webb might make up a larger East TN class. That would also help the travel of McCallie and Baylor, even though they have large pockets it's a big hit for them to travel to Memphis (and for Memphis teams to travel to Chattanooga). There's also the possibility of schools joining the TSSAA eventually adding football (like Hamilton Heights). A few years ago nobody would have ever thought of Silverdale adeding football, so if they can, other new schools can and will, too. Like I said in another post once, I can also see a lot of the larger non-TSSAA schools with athletics joining, if they can be assured they won't be in a classification with the likes of McCallie or Brentwood Academy. That will help travel even more, especially for games on weekdays (basketball, baseball, volleyball, etc).