Will Temple's problems finally cause a public-private split?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. But the TSSAA handbook does say basically that it is the principal's responsibility to make sure everything/everyone is eligible.

The buck stops at the principal

One thing I am not sure on is the situation with him being an 8th grader. He was not under TSSAA jurisdiction. I know that 8th graders can be moved up to JV or Varsity. Did the son have to be added to the varsity roster even as an 8th grader to even be able to play in a varsity game?

If Temple is part of the TMSAA (middle school assoc) or he participated with the varsity then he wpuld be under their watchful eye. It's pretty minor even if he wasn't added. The tuition deal is the real issue

The buck stops at the principal

If Temple is part of the TMSAA (middle school assoc) or he participated with the varsity then he wpuld be under their watchful eye. It's pretty minor even if he wasn't added. The tuition deal is the real issue

Any student athlete 8-12 that is competing in varsity sports is under TSSAA rules.

No, you won't. This has been gone over plenty of times, with all private schools in Division II travel would be reasonable, if not ideal for some schools. I believe the TSSAA used your concern, the smallest private schools' fear of playing Brentwood Academy, etc, to help prevent a total split. They did not clarify how there would be classifications within the division, and in basketball, other sports, made one class-in my opinion to try and keep as many private schools in Division I as possible.

Maybe then Temple would know how some of the small "public" schools feel when Temple's AAU All-Star team composed of players from different cities and states comes to town. It would be an even playing field at that point in my opinion. Privates that actively and openly recruit i.e. "billboards", newspaper ads, like Temple, Friendship Chr, etc... should be made to play Div II sports period. Should Temple be found in violation i'm very interested in seeing what will happen to them.

Everyone keeps on talking about Temple and recruiting. Temple had no serious allegations of recruiting until Chastain came on board in the Spring of '06. Wadley ran a clean program. Temple has always had a strong Basketball program and they have always had a better than .500 football program and for 8+ years has had a Skogen or a Wadley playing and contributing significantly. Not to mention, we have had a Wadley and/or Skogen, coaching. The whole recruiting issue is not so much a Temple issue as it is a Chastain issue. The article in today's paper indicated that the school had conducted some of its own investigation and fired the coach as a result of the shadows, not any concrete evidence. I know that recruitment type activity did go on but there is no hard evidence, apparently, that any real recruitment did actually occur.

Let's not forget that the TSSAA is not out to hurt schools or the kids. Even if violations occurred, if the schools correct them on their own when they are aware of them, the TSSAA is not interested in stirring up unnecessary trouble. And none of the good coaches are out to hurt other schools or players. Even at times when they know that a kid is not eligible to play somewhere, they won't say anything about it because they do not want to hurt the kid.

Some of you guys are blowing this Temple thing way out of proportion. Let's try to quit being such sensationalists...

Temple has always recruited this is nothing knew. They were reprimanded in the past for posting a billboard up with their state championship they had won in basketball that said something to the effect of "come on over and join the winning team" if that isn't recruiting i don't know what is! They just got caught with their hand in the cookie jar this time it was inevitable. Now lets see what is done about it!

Why are you worrying about a split when your region/district would likely be Silverdale, Grace, Boyd-Buchanan, Temple if they still have any programs, Hamilton Heights in basketball and maybe eventually in football, possibly Chattanooga Christian if they're not too large for the smaller class, and maybe Berean, which is trying to join the TSSAA. You wouldn't be facing McCallie or Baylor unless you wanted to, in nonregion games.

Why are you worrying about a split when your region/district would likely be Silverdale, Grace, Boyd-Buchanan, Temple if they still have any programs, Hamilton Heights in basketball and maybe eventually in football, possibly Chattanooga Christian if they're not too large for the smaller class, and maybe Berean, which is trying to join the TSSAA. You wouldn't be facing McCallie or Baylor unless you wanted to, in nonregion games.

Old Pirate says SPLIT..... that is what the TT issue is likely to bring a new focus on. Lets face the FACT that privates recruit. The Chattanooga area is full of privates and SOME are HONEST and admit they recruit on offer incentitives to potential students/transfers. The church related schools use the "FUTURE PREACHER" path to help provide payment for tuition. The latest SCHEME............. is something called the "Breakfast Program". This in some way allows kids to come to the schools using this. FUNNY isn't, Old Pirate would bet the bank...... most are of the athletic nature from surrounding areas and even across state lines. The rumor is that is becoming a source used in the north Ga area.

Old Pirate says SPLIT..... that is what the TT issue is likely to bring a new focus on. Lets face the FACT that privates recruit. The Chattanooga is full of privates and SOME are HONEST and admit they recruit on offer incentitives to potential students/transfers. The some church related schools use the "FUTURE PREACHER" path to help provide payment for tuition. The latest SCHEME............. is something called the "Breakfast Program". This in some way allows kids to come to the schools using this. FUNNY isn't, Old Pirate would bet the bank...... most are of the athletic nature from surrounding areas. The rumor is that is becoming a source used in the north Ga area.

This may be the hardest to interpret post I have ever read...

A fact is something that is true...I don't know about your FACT. Are you saying that it is a fact that all privates recruit athletes? If so, why is the TSSAA only investigating Temple. It seems to me that if your FACT is so plain then all the privates would be under investigation. Do you think, perhaps, they have recruited RC and the TSSAA too?

Are you saying that some schools are honest, or that some are honest and admit they are dishonest? Is that like Wesley in the Princess Bride when he was only "mostly dead"?

Are you saying that a "breakfast program" is being used to recruit athletes? Like, pancakes for QBs or something? Would you have to include maple syrup to get the really good ones?? I would have come to play for some really good homemade biscuits and gravy, but I was only a TE/DE...probably wouldn't have rated maple syrup.