Will Temple's problems finally cause a public-private split?

I'd hope you understand the difference between the things Temple's apparently done and coaches standing on the fence

I definitely understand the difference. I was just going for a little comic relief. I have read multiple posts from people who cite recruiting issues as some fundamental justification for a split between publics and privates.

Personally, I could care less what division Temple is in.

Have you ever noticed that it is normally the loser who whines after the game is over with?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging from the article in yesterdays TFP, the privates ought to be demanding that the publics quit their recruiting. I could not believe all the recruiting that goes on in public schools. Why, the audacity of high school coaches lining up next to each other on the football field trying to get noticed by 8th grade athletes. How bold! I guess they think that just because they do not charge tuition, they can just do whatever they want.

Read it closer....it didn't say all of those coaches lining up on the sidelines were from public schools. Some were public but some were privates too. It happens at the little league level too. There is a group of 6th grade athletes from Marion Co that may be going to Silverdale next year. They are all on one team that pretty much dominated last year. Just a coincidence??? I think all recruiting should be stopped.

Read it closer....it didn't say all of those coaches lining up on the sidelines were from public schools. Some were public but some were privates too. It happens at the little league level too. There is a group of 6th grade athletes from Marion Co that may be going to Silverdale next year. They are all on one team that pretty much dominated last year. Just a coincidence??? I think all recruiting should be stopped.

Hmmm.... It will not be long before certain coaches (ah, hmmm) start showing up to read for story book time in the kindergarten classes.

Many on here seem to missing the forest for the trees. What you are seeing is people being fed up with the sorry state of most public schools. High school football players and their parents entertaining thoughts of playing in college sure as he!! aren't going to Silverdale to get noticed. They are going in hopes of getting a better education , in a safer environment , much more in line with their personal beliefs and philosophies. Parents are voting with their feet. The private schools are selling a superior product in the eyes of many parents, one that has little or nothing to do with sports. The idea most parents only care about sports when chosing to place their kids in private schools is nuts.

In for a penny, in for a dollar? Even if public does attempt to recruit, it still makes it wrong. It is not "more" wrong if a private recruits over a public.

Better education? I don't think so... what problems do you think they can escape at privates? Do private schools not have drug problems? Do private school kids not fight? Do private school kids not use vulgar language? If you said "no" to any of these you obviously have a misguided concept of what private schools are really like...

What planet have you been living on ? Do you really believe parents are forking over thousands just to duplicate the public school experience in a private setting ?

The quick answer to all of your not so well thought out questions is NO. No is not the same as zero, so while you may be able to dig up a rare example of a private school drug problem overall the situation is much, much better than publc schools. I am sure some private school kids do use vulgar language but not in the classroom and not in front of their teachers or other adults. Stroll down the halls of your local public school and you will quickly see who is

"misguided " around here. As far as education goes, you must be joking. While a decent education MAY be had in some public schools it is expected at the better known privates.

So, the millions of success stories who graduated from public schools, are you saying they achieve in spite of their public background? If you traded the students from publics and privates, around Chattanooga I think it's about 70-30 percent, what kind of effect would that have on both types' test scores, college acceptance, etc? I'd guess if you put McCallie's students in Howard High School, there would be a bit of a rise in numbers at Howard, what do you think? Or would the public atmosphere bring the former McCallie group "down to the public levels?" How about Howard's students, or those from any mid-level to low-performing school, would McCallie still have all its success (or Baylor, pick any private).

In for a penny, in for a dollar? Even if public does attempt to recruit, it still makes it wrong. It is not "more" wrong if a private recruits over a public.

Absolutely not. I just wanted Pasture to know that it was both sides standing on the sidelines because the article was not real clear on that point. I don't like cheating no matter who does it and even though standing on the sidelines and watching is not actually "recruiting" it sure is not following the spirit of the law. Any coach that would go that far will probably go farther. The TFP needs to get pictures of that happening this year and post them for all to see. That would certainly make coaches think twice.

Better education? I don't think so... what problems do you think they can escape at privates? Do private schools not have drug problems? Do private school kids not fight? Do private school kids not use vulgar language? If you said "no" to any of these you obviously have a misguided concept of what private schools are really like...

PG I have been on both sides. There is no doubt is a better education at privates and the overall parental support is night and day. Private schools have the same problems we have just less of them. The one thing we (at least in Marion Co.) have that they don't is connection to our community and diversity. The decision to come back to public schools was a tough one but the right one for us.

I still have to disagree with you. I don't think that privates get "better" education. Some privates can offer more courses than publics but that is about the only difference. But with distance learning and dual enrollment programs, publics are gaining ground on the number of course they are able to offer. The only arguments that you ever hear are "look at test scores" and "we have better teachers". First the test scores.... If publics could pick-and-choose the students that they let walk through their doors, the test scores would be out the roof. So having a higher average test score doesn't prove "better" because you aren't competing with a level playing field. Next the "better teachers"... In many privates, especially the smaller privates, the pay is less therefore they get less qualified teachers. Many teachers in the private sector couldn't hack it in the public schools so they chose to go to the private sector. And again, if the publics could select which students attend, their teachers would "look" better. To me, it takes a "better" teacher to be able to educate someone from the lower performance levels than it does someone from the higher performance levels. The only valid argument that I have ever heard in this debate is your argument of parental support. I do believe that parents are more involved with their children at the privates than in the public system. However, we can't just paint with that broad brush. There are many very successful public schools in this country where parental support meets or exceeds the private schools.

What happens is that people get a perception that privates are better. I'm paying money and waiting for years to get my kid in so it has to be "Better". The fact is, there are kids who come out of Howard, Marion County, South Pittsburg and any other public school around who are just as smart as the smartest person coming out of Boyd, Temple, McCallie or Baylor. I still think that privates have a bigger drug problem than people want to admit because those kids, generally speaking, are wealthy enough to pay for them. The problems at privates don't appear as numerous because you typically have a smaller student body, but percentage wise, I think that the drugs, sex and all those things that parents say they are running from, are all still there.

Is it a "Better" education? I don't think so. Especially if you want to include diversity as part of the education.

i have to say that this may be the most disagreeable post i've seen on coacht (or, at least one of them). you really think that the lower qualified teachers flock to private schools because they can't "hack it" in public schools? at best, that's misguided. at worst, that's idiotic. talk to parents who send their kids to private schools. even the smaller ones (grace, boyd, etc.) will have teachers that the parents rave about. these are highly qualified (as designated by the state), fully competent, and professional educators. these are the same people who you'd find in the public sector. these are educators so dedicated that many late night hours are spent in their classrooms getting their rooms, curriculum, etc. ready for their students. there is no less dedication or passion shown in the private sector, and these teachers are just as capable.

i feel like public education offers a very good product (just as good as private education, in many cases). i agree with your idea that the percentages of public and private test scores are equitable. i do think that there are more opportunities offered at private schools, as well as the possibility of a christian education. this may be a reason so many parents are willing to make unbelievable sacrifices to send their child to a private school.

again, public schools employ outstanding, highly qualified teachers. but so do the smaller private schools. their training, dedication, and passion to teach is second to none.....imo.

I really am not sure that you can just divide publics from privates. There is another division to consider that makes an even greater difference and that is Christian privates from secular privates. Among the Christian privates there is a division among those who are name only and those who actually practice Christianity.

It is probably true, overall, that a private school has the potential to give a better education because of several factors that include class size, control over admissions, curriculum selections, autonomous control, and definitely the sense of investment by the parents. There are plenty of excellent public schools also who excel in spite of not having some private school benefits.

The main reason we chose Temple was for the Christian atmosphere and approach. We felt that they could get academics, athletics, etc. anywhere. What we have discovered at Temple that really stands out to us is that the teachers there genuinely care for the kids. When we have parent-teacher conferences we hear the love and concern the teachers have and they continue to demonstrate that they are not teaching for an occupation but to fulfill a calling, to exercise a ministry.