Will Temple's problems finally cause a public-private split?

hey pasture, or any other temple person....is it true that temple is not an accredited institution? i know that most private schools are accredited through the SACS organization. someone had told me that temple did not have this status and i didn't know if i should believe him or not. just wondering....

I didn't mean for it to sound like I was saying that all private school teachers are bad. They aren't. In my opinion, anyone who is attempting to teach today's youth is worthy of praise, regardless of where they teach. I was merely trying to point out that all private school teachers are not better than public school teachers, as many private school advocates argue. Obviously I failed at making that point....

i can agree with that.....

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey pasture, or any other temple person....is it true that temple is not an accredited institution? i know that most private schools are accredited through the SACS organization. someone had told me that temple did not have this status and i didn't know if i should believe him or not. just wondering....i can agree with that.....

Temple has been acredited through the TACS. I know that they were in the process of obtaining full SACS accreditation last year but I am not sure where they are in that or if they already have finished up all the paperwork.

According to their website they have changed from TACS to SACS. They were supposed to receive the official documents on Feb. 2007.

http://www.tntempleacademy.com/site_flash/...creditation.htm

The commercial that they ran also lists ACSI accreditation in addition to the SACS.

http://www.tntempleacademy.com/site_flash/...ocommercial.htm

I still have to disagree with you. I don't think that privates get "better" education. Some privates can offer more courses than publics but that is about the only difference. But with distance learning and dual enrollment programs, publics are gaining ground on the number of course they are able to offer. The only arguments that you ever hear are "look at test scores" and "we have better teachers". First the test scores.... If publics could pick-and-choose the students that they let walk through their doors, the test scores would be out the roof. So having a higher average test score doesn't prove "better" because you aren't competing with a level playing field. Next the "better teachers"... In many privates, especially the smaller privates, the pay is less therefore they get less qualified teachers. Many teachers in the private sector couldn't hack it in the public schools so they chose to go to the private sector. And again, if the publics could select which students attend, their teachers would "look" better. To me, it takes a "better" teacher to be able to educate someone from the lower performance levels than it does someone from the higher performance levels. The only valid argument that I have ever heard in this debate is your argument of parental support. I do believe that parents are more involved with their children at the privates than in the public system. However, we can't just paint with that broad brush. There are many very successful public schools in this country where parental support meets or exceeds the private schools.

What happens is that people get a perception that privates are better. I'm paying money and waiting for years to get my kid in so it has to be "Better". The fact is, there are kids who come out of Howard, Marion County, South Pittsburg and any other public school around who are just as smart as the smartest person coming out of Boyd, Temple, McCallie or Baylor. I still think that privates have a bigger drug problem than people want to admit because those kids, generally speaking, are wealthy enough to pay for them. The problems at privates don't appear as numerous because you typically have a smaller student body, but percentage wise, I think that the drugs, sex and all those things that parents say they are running from, are all still there.

Is it a "Better" education? I don't think so. Especially if you want to include diversity as part of the education.

Re: " There are many very successful public schools in this country where parental support meets or exceeds the private schools. "

A more accurate statement would be there are some. They are in the minority. You can tip toe around the obvious, public education as a WHOLE is bad and getting worse, but I doubt seriously you will convince anyone the so called success stories you cite are anything more than an exception. Like I said before, parents are not paying their property taxes AND forking over thousands of dollars more to a private school for no reason. The root causes are many and convoluted, but the bottom line is that public education in this country is broken and can’t be fixed. The entire system needs to be scrapped in favor of something not run by government functionaries. Obviously parents aren't going to successfully battle teachers unions and the entrenched bureaucracies so they take charge of their own kids.

Re: " There are many very successful public schools in this country where parental support meets or exceeds the private schools. "

A more accurate statement would be there are some. They are in the minority. You can tip toe around the obvious, public education as a WHOLE is bad and getting worse, but I doubt seriously you will convince anyone the so called success stories you cite are anything more than an exception. Like I said before, parents are not paying their property taxes AND forking over thousands of dollars more to a private school for no reason. The root causes are many and convoluted, but the bottom line is that public education in this country is broken and can’t be fixed. The entire system needs to be scrapped in favor of something not run by government functionaries. Obviously parents aren't going to successfully battle teachers unions and the entrenched bureaucracies so they take charge of their own kids.

Folks in Williamson County might disagree with you. It seems to be a pretty successful school system that actually draws quite a few students away from local private schools.

Folks in Williamson County might disagree with you. It seems to be a pretty successful school system that actually draws quite a few students away from local private schools.

2 things....

1.) williamson county has the largest education budget of any in the state (or at least it was as of a few years ago). their facilities are the best in the state.

2.) there is a larger selection of private schools in the nashville area, so it may be easier to take some enrollment away from them.

2 things....

1.) williamson county has the largest education budget of any in the state (or at least it was as of a few years ago). their facilities are the best in the state.

2.) there is a larger selection of private schools in the nashville area, so it may be easier to take some enrollment away from them.

True about the budget. The citizens also expect alot in return for that. Actually it is more than a few kids that opt to leave private schools to attend county county school in Williamson.

NAEP Report

"To wit, many of us believe, hands-down, that private schools are better than public schools. However, a recent study by the husband-and-wife team of Sarah Thuele Lubienski and Christopher Lubienski, researchers at the University of Illinois-Champaign, found that when they controlled for a family’s socioeconomic background, public-school kids slightly outperformed private-school kids." -- Victoria Clayton, MSNBC

My only argument is with the broad statement that private education is "Better" than public. This simply isn't true. Does Temple provide a better education than Public High School A? Quite possible but not absolute... Don't just blindly think that all private school education is hands down better than all public school education. There are good schools on both sides... just like there are bad schools on both sides... it's up to the parents to know the difference...

Rather meaningless report written by people basically evaluating themselves, and not much of a bolster to a weak arguement.

In football terms if we, controlled for a team's lack of size, speed, strength and coaching, plus we ignore the score, Tellico Plains may slightly outperform Maryville if they were to meet on the field.

As someone who has had a very insightful view of private education, I think that many people might be amazed at the number of outdated textbooks and lack of technology as well as physical resources that some private schools offer their students. Some public schools can offer a wider array of resources to their students. Many of the parents that leave private education for Williamson Co. point to this fact as the primary reason they choose the public county system.

"Meaningless" because it speaks against your perception that you are "better". You will never be able to convince me that privates are "Better" than publics. Period. So, with that in mind, I suggest that we mutually agree to disagree and move on...

Meaningless because it ( the report ) is flawed and self serving.

No problem moving on, though I am not trying to convince you of anything. The only perception I have is rooted in fact. The major private schools are academically more rigerous, have higher standards of discipline and conduct than MOST public schools. I am glad you are pleased with your school.

Maj-If you switch the students from the state's top performing school, as far as ACT scores, etc, and from the lowest performing, how do you think it would change the performance of each school? Would you admit factors such as one or two-parent households, percentage of parents who graduated college, race, family income, play a large part in success or relative lack of success at schools across the state, public or private? I say those factors are more important than the school attending, as far as predicting and seeing success of individuals.