Will Temple's problems finally cause a public-private split?

A bunch of fans of schools that Temple beat last year think they had to have cheated to do so. They will all be sorely dissapointed when Temple is cleared.

I don't think Temple will be cleared because some of the violations, like the CSAS kids practicing in spring, occurred. Too much pressure on the TSSAA to do something. The level of penalties is another matter and that will hinge more on what the recruiting part of the investigation discovers. Was it just parents/boosters on a personal level? Were the coaches/admin involved and/or did they have knowledge of the actions? Does it go back beyond this year? If the TSSAA finds no credible evidence on the recruiting then the penalties should be light for the practice violations. Recruiting is hard to prove even if it did occur.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a public school guy ,but I'm not in favor of a split. The multiplier should be enough to even things out. Sure,private schools gets a few impact transfers, but I think their biggest advantage is having good hard working,dependable kids. Good hard working parents usually raise good hard working kids. Public schools have these same kind of kids, but the percentages would be extremely low. Wonder how many kids who attend these private schools gets food stamps.

I'm with you Pujo. I don't want to see a split either...yet . Give the multiplier a couple more years to get a good picture of what is happening. Two years is just not enough time. Whatever happens at Temple should have no effect on classifications.

Your acessment is real close to mine. Just a higher percentage of good kids and parents willing to go the extra mile. Those kids/parents are at publics just in a smaller percentage

Why "unfortunately"? You'd probably be in a football region with Grace, Temple, Boyd-Buchanan and David Brainerd, possibly Chattanooga Christian when they add a varsity team. I couldn't see Silverdale in a region with McCallie or Baylor since there are classifications within Division II already and they'd even out even better with all the private schools in it.

Temple's problems have nothing to do with any movement toward a total split. The ground swell has been there for a long time. Every single DII school, plus most public schools favor the split. That was the strong majority vote last time around and it was ignored by the B of C. It won't be ignored this time around.

Everyone keeps on talking about Temple and recruiting. Temple had no serious allegations of recruiting until Chastain came on board in the Spring of '06. Wadley ran a clean program. Temple has always had a strong Basketball program and they have always had a better than .500 football program and for 8+ years has had a Skogen or a Wadley playing and contributing significantly. Not to mention, we have had a Wadley and/or Skogen, coaching. The whole recruiting issue is not so much a Temple issue as it is a Chastain issue. The article in today's paper indicated that the school had conducted some of its own investigation and fired the coach as a result of the shadows, not any concrete evidence. I know that recruitment type activity did go on but there is no hard evidence, apparently, that any real recruitment did actually occur.

Let's not forget that the TSSAA is not out to hurt schools or the kids. Even if violations occurred, if the schools correct them on their own when they are aware of them, the TSSAA is not interested in stirring up unnecessary trouble. And none of the good coaches are out to hurt other schools or players. Even at times when they know that a kid is not eligible to play somewhere, they won't say anything about it because they do not want to hurt the kid.

Some of you guys are blowing this Temple thing way out of proportion. Let's try to quit being such sensationalists...

Everyone keeps on talking about Temple and recruiting. Temple had no serious allegations of recruiting until Chastain came on board in the Spring of '06. Wadley ran a clean program. Temple has always had a strong Basketball program and they have always had a better than .500 football program and for 8+ years has had a Skogen or a Wadley playing and contributing significantly. Not to mention, we have had a Wadley and/or Skogen, coaching. The whole recruiting issue is not so much a Temple issue as it is a Chastain issue. The article in today's paper indicated that the school had conducted some of its own investigation and fired the coach as a result of the shadows, not any concrete evidence. I know that recruitment type activity did go on but there is no hard evidence, apparently, that any real recruitment did actually occur.

Let's not forget that the TSSAA is not out to hurt schools or the kids. Even if violations occurred, if the schools correct them on their own when they are aware of them, the TSSAA is not interested in stirring up unnecessary trouble. And none of the good coaches are out to hurt other schools or players. Even at times when they know that a kid is not eligible to play somewhere, they won't say anything about it because they do not want to hurt the kid.

Some of you guys are blowing this Temple thing way out of proportion. Let's try to quit being such sensationalists...

Pasture, sorry but it sounds a little like whistling past the graveyard .

Unfortunately for Temple the recruting allegations occured at the same time that Temple got good enough to make a championship run and Chastain was tied to the two kids who filled some really big holes for Temple. With even the Temple Admin implying Chastain was recruiting it really makes their coming to Temple more suspicious. It may never be proved or disproved but it will always be a question mark.

One of two things happened, (1) Chastain was recruiting and Marcum and Pearson were convinced enough of the fact that they fired him ("We were never able to nail down a concrete violation, but there was a lot of dishonesty from what Coach Chastain had told us," Marcum said. "I hated to do it, but that was the reason we had to fire him.") or (2) Marcum and Pearson concocted that story to fire him for other reasons (Chastain - "Since I left, I do feel like the Temple administration has been very dishonest about why I was fired and what really happened."). Temple has a PR mess at the least and if some of these things are proven then I see some penalities headed Temple's way. The TSSAA isn't out to hurt kids but Chastain was a coach for the last 2 years at Temple so if he violated rules then Temple, not Chastain, will be the one to pay. If they were to let Temple skate just because they fired the offending coach it would set a bad example. I hope all of you left can get it all straightened out