Farragut v. Knox West

CU06

ruse? i dont really recall wagner having as stellar performance against alcoa as you describe. i remember alcoa blitzing and shutting fulton down until wagner made a little dump pass to rogan on a screen. still in the second half alcoa was still shutting fulton down until rogan busted a long run. case in point i remember dennis rogan being the stellar player in the game and hardly recall wagner doing anything with his feet. not saying that he's not a good athlete or qb, but just that it seemed to me that you hyped him up too much about the alcoa game last year

CU06.

Don't think it was overhype to say that Wagner was the starting QB for the winning team, against a team that likes to blitz, and is a kid that is very confident, perhaps overly so. I think Wagner did plenty with his feet after the 1st series, and the sack by Sykes. Rogan had a nice game, but Freeney, especially on defense was the difference. Hammilton played very well also.

ruse?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ruse?,

you seem convinced that it would be in Farragut's best interest to blitz Ryan if he is indeed able to play. Doesn't Scott Cummings still run the veer? A dangerous strategy, in my opinion, against split backs a yard and a half off the ball. I would be afraid the dive and the toss sweep, two staples of the veer, would kill me. You might have some success against the lead veer, especially if the quartererback isn't at least proficient at checking to direction, and the dropback pass. In this case, however, I feel the risk would far outweigh the reward. I would certainly think any defensive coordinator's objective would be to stop the run first. I think Ken Sparks would be delighted to see an aggressive blitzing defense against his veer.

Just a thought.

Former44.

Good question. As far as I know Cummings runs the veer. Farragut, if I recall, has the personnel to run a 4-4, and has done some variations towards that end out of base defenses with shading in the past. If you have the players, the 4-4 can be very effective against the veer. It opens up all kinds of run blitz possibilities and most importantly gives soild balance in the box. The key is disciplined gap control. Each player must know his primary gap, and cover it first. The other thing that I like about the 4-4, or variations on it, is that it gives some space to the DL, to run some stunts and rolls. Also, I have seen folks effectively "accordian" the DL in and out and still keep 4 LBs behind. Those kinds of actions cause problems for many of the options out of the veer, including the option itself, misdirection, dive, etc. The concept is to level the risk that you wrote of.

ruse?

I get that West has good athletes, but so do a lot of teams. Farragut plays Oak Ridge and Ooltewah every year and sometimes twice a year. Do you really think West has the athletes to compare with those teams? I doubt that West will have much success running the ball. They may escape with 1 or 2 big gainers if Farragut busts an assignment, but it wont hold up for much of the game. This game will hinge on West being able to throw the football, and Farragut has some serious athletes of their own in their defensive backfield.

STARPOWER.

IMO, West has every bit the skill athletes that Farragut, OR have.

ruse?

This has nothing to do with football, but I saw a track meet this year with all three involved. West looked like a varsity team running against JV teams. Don't let the past ability of teams and its athletes fool you into thinking they still have that advantage. West has gained a sizable amount of athletes and speed over the past several years.

ruse? you've yet to give your prediction on this game since the lastest developments have occured. So what do you think the outcome will be?

Hey Knoxvegas98.

I just don't see a low scoring game. Both teams have weapons on the offensive side of the ball, and while I think that both team's LB's and DB's can make plays, the ground game will eventually take it's toll. Andre will have a big night, as will West's backs. Farragut has the edge in depth on OL/DL. West has edge in team speed. Last team w/the ball wins a close game. Farragut grinds and pounds, while West scores quickly. At the end of four quarters 28-27.....West.

ruse?

ruse?, I guess my point on athletes didn't come across like I intended. My point was not that West doesn't have good ahtletes, but when facing OR and Ooltewah a couple of times a year your players are used to seeing that kind of speed and there for it has less impact than against a team that rarely sees that much speed across the line.

Farragut runs a 3-5 defense which is very flexible and allows you to bring pressure from a lot of different places. Farragut's defense will definitely have to be solid in their assignments against the veer, but West better be solid in their protections or their QB wont have any time at all.

ruse?, I guess my point on athletes didn't come across like I intended. My point was not that West doesn't have good ahtletes, but when facing OR and Ooltewah a couple of times a year your players are used to seeing that kind of speed and there for it has less impact than against a team that rarely sees that much speed across the line.

Farragut runs a 3-5 defense which is very flexible and allows you to bring pressure from a lot of different places. Farragut's defense will definitely have to be solid in their assignments against the veer, but West better be solid in their protections or their QB wont have any time at all.

STARPOWER.

I understand what you are getting at. I just feel that West plays Central and Maryville year in and year out, and from my perspective, they are used to seeing those types of athletes. Also, out of region last year, they played MoWest, Webb, and Bearden. Now they lost all three, Webb and Bearden by 1, and 3 points respectively. Then got blasted by MoWest. Again, I think they are used to playing well coached, athletic, fast teams. Lastly, their speed seemed to hold up well against Fulton in the Jamboree.

I completely agree on the pressure that can be brought against the veer using a 4-4, 3-5 front, and that West needs to be prepared for that.

ruse?

Former44.

Good question. As far as I know Cummings runs the veer. Farragut, if I recall, has the personnel to run a 4-4, and has done some variations towards that end out of base defenses with shading in the past. If you have the players, the 4-4 can be very effective against the veer. It opens up all kinds of run blitz possibilities and most importantly gives soild balance in the box. The key is disciplined gap control. Each player must know his primary gap, and cover it first. The other thing that I like about the 4-4, or variations on it, is that it gives some space to the DL, to run some stunts and rolls. Also, I have seen folks effectively "accordian" the DL in and out and still keep 4 LBs behind. Those kinds of actions cause problems for many of the options out of the veer, including the option itself, misdirection, dive, etc. The concept is to level the risk that you wrote of.

ruse?

I used to play for Farragut... that's all they preach is gap control. The D-line eats blocks and allow the linebackers to fly to the ball. We did do alot of stunts with our line to keep the Oline off of the backers so that they could make plays, but with the athleticism that is on the Dline this year, I'm not so sure if they wont be makin plays themselves. Oh and a note on team speed.... FHS has some guys that can flat out move... They'll show you tommorrow night that the speed on this team is very very underrated. Not to discredit West's team speed, but wait and see it will by no means be the deciding factor in the game.

STARPOWER.

Then got blasted by MoWest. Again, I think they are used to playing well coached, athletic, fast teams. Lastly, their speed seemed to hold up well against Fulton in the Jamboree.

ruse?

No offense, but the score was 24-19 after Mo West scored in the last minute, just thought I'd clear that up.

So Farragut won 41-24. Ryan played in the second half when Farragut was up 28-7. There was a questionable call on an onside kick that West tried. I think they ruled that it touched the West kicker before they recovered it 10yds from the kick spot. When I saw it live on TV I thought it touched him. The replay it is hard to tell. If it did touch him it hit the side of his foot, but the angle they showed on CSS it def. didn't touch him anywhere else. That I think changed the game, just as much if not mroe than the fumbled punt inside the 5 for West, cause West had just scored and were gonna probly score again had they got it, but Farragut drove down behind Sterling and scored to make it 34-17. West had 4 turnovers in the first half. Sterling finished with around 210yards on 30-34 carries.

I agree with FHSfootball51, the speed wasn't that much of a factor. It helped West here and there on a few kickoffs and when the qb in the first half ran for like 48yards, but after a missed tackle by a Farragut player it was wide open field anyways, and before he scored he got hit by 2 Farragut people. I personally think what beat Farragut was using zones to stop the passes. All West was doing was doing quick slants and they were basically wide open. just behind the linebackers but about 10-15 yards infront of the secondary. I also was wondering why Farragut didn't go to I-formation earlier in the game like they did in the second half, but 28-7 when using I-form once or twice aint too bad. They just seemed to run alot better out of I-form, cause it seemed when Farragut was spreading the field it was forcing the rbs to run outside for more blocking, except for the td run in the first 2 minutes by Sterling. I was saying to myself why did Farragut change their whole offense when they did just fine last year just running ball. I mean yes they needed to be able to pass, but they didn't need to change their whole offense to revolve around passing when you have possibly the best RB in TN. They should still rely on the run, but htey need to also be able to pass when those situations pop-up, something they couldn't do last year, except in the 1st Ooltewah game.

Aside from all of that it was a great game with 2 good teams. West could surprise some people this year in 4-A, and they def. have a great shot at beating Bearden. Congrats to Farragut for winning and congrats to West for coming back from 21 down and making it a game for the whole second half.