Rankings Week 1

mjuhb

Live2succeed - While I am not for running up the score by any means, I have seen matches that are 9 or 10 to 0 but the coaches put restrictions on how their team could score. This is a hard balance to strike, I think. If you just start knocking the ball around the field and play possession, it can be interpreted as just as insulting to the other team. On the other hand, if you tell your team that they may only score on volleys or on headers off of crosses (or something else that will challenge your team) and they continue to put the ball in the back of the net, what are you suppossed to do?I did not see the riverdale match. So, i do not know the circumstances surrounding the throttling. Just wanted to point that out.

Oh I understand your point and it's a good point made. But last year during those blow out games the main scorer would be becca smith, there star player, and hannah mcgowen, who scored the second most on the team i think. Now if you have your star players doing all the scoring that is classless. That's half the reason becca had over 50 goals last year. I mean, star players on other teams could go out and score 10 goals against each poor team they play to pad their stats. But do most of them do that? I'm pretty sure they don't. Now, i'm not saying that this is what happened the other night because I did not see that game. I am just saying this from what I know of last year. Hey, maybe arman has developed some class this year. Who knows.

Like the St George game this week...17-0...real class, eh?

Oh yeah!! That sounds like great class.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I understand your point and it's a good point made. But last year during those blow out games the main scorer would be becca smith, there star player, and hannah mcgowen, who scored the second most on the team i think. Now if you have your star players doing all the scoring that is classless. That's half the reason becca had over 50 goals last year. I mean, star players on other teams could go out and score 10 goals against each poor team they play to pad their stats. But do most of them do that? I'm pretty sure they don't. Now, i'm not saying that this is what happened the other night because I did not see that game. I am just saying this from what I know of last year. Hey, maybe arman has developed some class this year. Who knows.Oh yeah!! That sounds like great class.

Star Players are generally recognized for the quality of scoring the go-ahead goal in a close game. Star players recognize their abilities and work to make the people around them look good by seting up goals with assists in games as such. Star players generally hold compassion for teams who do not hold the talent they do.

How many soccer matches, outside of high school, have you heard of with a score of 10-0, 14-0, 17-0? Coaches don't do it, players don't do it.

Why a "star" player remains on the field after a third goal in an uncontested match is beyond explanantion. I don't care if you name is becca or bubba.

Stamford... very well said.

This debate comes up every season, both in the girls and guys threads. I will say this; keeping the score down low can be done, with class, without embarrassing either team. It just takes a game plan in place before you have already scored 6. I think what happens is that teams get to the point of already scoring a bunch of goals, they pull their starters (or don't) and the young players are too excited and pumped to be in that they go for it all. We actually spend time in practice for these situations, so that the players know what is expected of them before the situation hits. I think it is too hard to stop, once the "cat gets out of the bag". Yes, I know that people will say "You can't tell your younger players not to score" Actually, you can, and I have. But if I know that I am going to play a team that isn't as strong, I will actually start those younger players, but keep a solid defense and goal keeper, to allow them the chance to score. Every player on our roster (including keepers) scored last season, and the highest number of goals we scored against an opponent was 7. It can be done.

I am also not saying that teams that score alot of goals are evil or are out to belittle their opponents (although I still chuckle at the 26-0 Science Hill score many years back). It is just something that I choose not to do. I have been on the end of many a thumpings, and I know how it feels.

Stamford... very well said.

This debate comes up every season, both in the girls and guys threads. I will say this; keeping the score down low can be done, with class, without embarrassing either team. It just takes a game plan in place before you have already scored 6. I think what happens is that teams get to the point of already scoring a bunch of goals, they pull their starters (or don't) and the young players are too excited and pumped to be in that they go for it all. We actually spend time in practice for these situations, so that the players know what is expected of them before the situation hits. I think it is too hard to stop, once the "cat gets out of the bag". Yes, I know that people will say "You can't tell your younger players not to score" Actually, you can, and I have. But if I know that I am going to play a team that isn't as strong, I will actually start those younger players, but keep a solid defense and goal keeper, to allow them the chance to score. Every player on our roster (including keepers) scored last season, and the highest number of goals we scored against an opponent was 7. It can be done.

I am also not saying that teams that score alot of goals are evil or are out to belittle their opponents (although I still chuckle at the 26-0 Science Hill score many years back). It is just something that I choose not to do. I have been on the end of many a thumpings, and I know how it feels.

Great post, G. And I agree wholehearedly. I would, though, have reservations about doing a mixed line-up early in the season (first couple of matches), but I do agree completely with the idea of having a game plan in place before the match in the event the goals start piling up.

I, too, still laugh about the SH score. Unbelievable. Good luck this season.

Oh I understand your point and it's a good point made. But last year during those blow out games the main scorer would be becca smith, there star player, and hannah mcgowen, who scored the second most on the team i think. Now if you have your star players doing all the scoring that is classless. That's half the reason becca had over 50 goals last year. I mean, star players on other teams could go out and score 10 goals against each poor team they play to pad their stats. But do most of them do that? I'm pretty sure they don't. Now, i'm not saying that this is what happened the other night because I did not see that game. I am just saying this from what I know of last year. Hey, maybe arman has developed some class this year. Who knows.Oh yeah!! That sounds like great class.

It's hard to respect a team or coach who has no respect for their opponents.

tonights games

carter at alcoa

st mary's at arlington

rossview at bga

soddy-daisy at baylor

collierville at bolton

cleveland at boyd buchanan

sweetwater at bradley

mlk at lipscomb

riverdale at franklin

ooltewah at gps

notre dame at grace

centennial at hendersonville

oak ridge at kingston

jcs at lexington

westview at madison

livington at maryville

ravenwood at jp2

lincoln co at tullahoma

smyrna at shelbyville

liberty at usj

tonights games

carter at alcoa

st mary's at arlington

rossview at bga

soddy-daisy at baylor

collierville at bolton

cleveland at boyd buchanan

sweetwater at bradley

mlk at lipscomb

riverdale at franklin

ooltewah at gps

notre dame at grace

centennial at hendersonville

oak ridge at kingston

jcs at lexington

westview at madison

Riverdale at Franklin or Franklin County?

livington at maryville

ravenwood at jp2

lincoln co at tullahoma

smyrna at shelbyville

liberty at usj

Star Players are generally recognized for the quality of scoring the go-ahead goal in a close game. Star players recognize their abilities and work to make the people around them look good by seting up goals with assists in games as such. Star players generally hold compassion for teams who do not hold the talent they do.

How many soccer matches, outside of high school, have you heard of with a score of 10-0, 14-0, 17-0? Coaches don't do it, players don't do it.

Why a "star" player remains on the field after a third goal in an uncontested match is beyond explanantion. I don't care if you name is becca or bubba.

Sorry, I'm confused. Are you agreeing with what I said about it being classless in how they play? or not