Scores

VolunteerGeneral

DB 8 ElizabBy Ron Bliss

Here the story:

TriCitiesSports.com

September 6, 2007

KINGSPORT -- Katie Clark pulled the hat trick, banging home three goals and adding an assist Thursday night as Dobyns-Bennett celebrated a return to an easier portion of the schedule with an 8-0 victory over Elizabethton.

After playing ranked teams in six of their first seven matches, the Lady Indians flexed their soccer muscles with the easy win over an Elizabethton program that won the AA Regional title last year. D-B had won last year's meeting, 4-1.

In addition to Clark's three goals and one assist, Tori Head added two more goals and two more assists to bump her season totals of 7 goals and 5 assists in eight games. Darah Karst added a goal and three assists.

"Elizabethton is a good team, but we challenged our girls to play our style tonight,'' said D-B coach Shane Calvert. "We didn't do that as well as I would have liked in the first half, but we did a much better job of it in the second half. Katie Clark really played well and Tori Head continues to play well. Tori got two goals in the first half and had an opportunity to get more in the second half, but passed off to others who were in better position. I can't say enough about the way Tori is playing. And Darah Karst has really stepped up in the last four games. We are really getting some good leadership from our senior class.''

Clark had just two goals for the season coming in and now has 5 goals and 5 assists. Karst now has four goals and four assists for the season.

"I think we could have done even better than we did tonight,'' said Clark. "We picked things up in the second half. We can be a great team this year and go really far.''

The Lady Indians are now 3-2-3 and will be favored in virtually every game from now until Oct. 2 when they have a showdown with Science Hill.

But Calvert isn't going to look ahead to that game.

"I sat in the motel on Saturday and watched Appalachian State beat Michigan,'' said Calvert. "I told the girls before the game that you can't assume anything. You have to go out and play hard every game.''

One thing that helps D-B is its speed. All four members of the Girls 4x100 relay team that qualified for state are on the soccer team.

"Coach (Bob) Bingham (the track coach) is out here every night, hoping none of these girls gets hurt,'' joked Calvert. "That's one thing you can't teach -- speed -- and we are blessed with it.''

Members of that relay team are Head, Karst, Olivia Lawniczak and Abbie Cooper.

"D-B is certainly the best team we've played,'' said Elizabethton coach Bill McClay, whose team is now 1-2-3. "But I am glad they play us because it exposes our weaknesses and gives us things to work on. I knew, in looking at their scores against other teams we've played that it might be like this. But I told the girls we are going to play against teams during the season that are just better than us.

"One thing that was apparent was their speed. My backs were so worried about getting beat that we left big gaps.''

Elizabethton lost its goalkeeper from a year ago, its central defender and its second leading scorer and assist leader from last year who quit the team just before the season began.

"This was tough on us tonight,'' said McClay, "but come the playoffs, this will pay off.''

ethton 0

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greeneville 1 Oak Ridge 1

Evenly played game. Once Greeneville settled down, they dominated the second half but could not score more than the one goal.

I think some of the people who post to this forum need to look up the definition of the term "dominate". How can you dominate an "evenly played game"?

A lot of us on the West side were really apprehensive about today's game with Seymour. Their team has a lot of talanted players and they threatened several times. Glad we got out with a 'W'. West is very young, and has a couple of starters on the sidelines. Sidney Reed of West scored both goals, One a corner kick header. Good effort by her, especially on a sore knee.

Greeneville 1 Oak Ridge 1

Evenly played game. Once Greeneville settled down, they dominated the second half but could not score more than the one goal.

OR outshot Greenville 14-5. Among OR shots were 5-6 serious threats including one off the post. Among Greenville shots was 1 serious threat, which resulted in a goal.

Greenville has a very fine team and appears to be well coached. The defensive back line and goal keeper were impressive. I would guess at least a couple of them will or can play in college. They used a trapping defense which was effective. They had a midfielder (#6) who stood out as well.

OR played well, after not playing so hot last week in the last game of the Katie Hunter tourney. Three of their midfielders (#24, #3, and #10) caught my eye, although it was their senior star (T. Howell) who scored on a breakaway (assisted by the GK I believe).

Nice field, nice night, nice soccer.

OR outshot Greenville 14-5. Among OR shots were 5-6 serious threats including one off the post. Among Greenville shots was 1 serious threat, which resulted in a goal.

Greenville has a very fine team and appears to be well coached. The defensive back line and goal keeper were impressive. I would guess at least a couple of them will or can play in college. They used a trapping defense which was effective. They had a midfielder (#6) who stood out as well.

OR played well, after not playing so hot last week in the last game of the Katie Hunter tourney. Three of their midfielders (#24, #3, and #10) caught my eye, although it was their senior star (T. Howell) who scored on a breakaway (assisted by the GK I believe).

Nice field, nice night, nice soccer.

I too was there and I thought it was a great match. Your stat of 14 -5 shots in favor of OR comes from the OR website. While OR did have more quality looks than Greeneville , the 14-5 shot stat is inflated - in my opinion.

Greeneville is still looking for the right combination of players. Greeneville has played 8 matches with 8 different starting line-ups I believe.

Greeneville did a nice job with Trenna up until her goal. Hopefully, these 2 teams will meet up again in sub state (hopefully at Greeneville of course).