Father Ryan Fact

goryan

Just curious, what type of team would those that know Father Ryan best, think they have this season, I saw you guys at Henry county last week and well, I was just curious about how good Father Ryan actually is right now.

When the financial aid blast comes out this early, it is usually not a good sign.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the financial aid blast comes out this early, it is usually not a good sign.

Father Ryan as I stated on my post should win at least 7 games this year. They have a mature offensive line with an athletic QB in Guidrey and a RB that nearly ran for 1000 yards last year with a tough schedule. The defense is where we will have to see. Kevin Nix is an outstanding LB that returns. I do know that. Should be a very good year for Father Ryan, but it is a watered down schedule as in years past due to the merge of DII AA and AAA. Again, my point was simply that if Father Ryan was as aggressive as most other DII schools in respect to financial aid to athletes we would get the 2 or 3 kids each year that are often times the difference in 3-7 and 8-2. There is no doubt Father Ryan otherwise gets good athletes from the catholic football league. It should also be noted that indeed Pope John Paul II hit Ryan hard. Imagine the past three years if you had a merged Father Ryan/JPII team. Can anyone say state champions........

Another poster on this forum feels that one of the problems with Father Ryan are that they will only give students 50% of the amount of financial aid that they have qualified to receive. If that is true you could have a good student/athlete decide to go where they are offered 100% of the financial aid that they are qualified to receive. I may be wrong but my understanding of how the financial aid package works is as follows:

Tuition: $12,000.00 per student

Qualified Financial Aid: $8000.00

Tuition Cost to Student if they receive 100% of the financial aid: $4000.00

Father Ryan cost to Student: $8000.00 (Because they only gave 50% of the financial aid that the student qualified to receive.

As you can see the student qualified for $8000.00 of financial aid and it should cost the family $4000.00 to attend the school. However, with the way that Father Ryan works the financial aid package it would cost the family $8000.00 to attend which is a $4000.00 difference. It would be very difficult for a family of any student to walk away from $4000.00.

If this is all true it is no shock that the Irish are having trouble playing in D2 & why would they not move into D1AAAAA?

Perhaps the answer to your question is that Father Ryan see's its students in more than an athletic sense, but instead see's the needs of all its students athletes or not. I believe that this is the correct way to give financial aid. The more students you help, the better. And athletics should not have anything to do with it. I believe that Father Ryan comes as close to reaching this goal as any private school in the state of Tennessee. Rumor was that JPII was given leeway to do a little extra in the beginning by the Bishop at that time. Rumor further has it that some of the more famous players who attended there were financed by wealthly benefactors to the school, who knows for sure. But I think that success in athletics is secondary to success in school and life for its students and it is not worth losing financial aid just for the sake of playing in a different division and maybe being more successful in sports. Lastly, this would be devastating to the most needy families who otherwise without financial assistence simply could not have their children attend the school.

It was highlighted in the Tennessean several years ago. Father Ryan provides financial aid based on need like any other private school, then they cut that aid roughly in half so that they can provide aid to more students. It has been this way for a very long time. So, Golden Tate comes along. I talked with one of his family members when he was an 8th grader, and he was on his way to Father Ryan. Can you guess what happen. JPII provided the Tate family full aid. Father Ryan did not. What would you do....... A huge problem I would say if you need to get those 2 or 3 athletes that were already in your system but went elsewhere.

Last year lost to Baylor by 4 at Baylor. Lost to MBA by 7. If you saw this game, some would say the refs blew a call or two. Lost to McCallie by 6 and down to BA at half 10-7. Father Ryan showed up last year in every game with the possible exception of the Franklin game. Father Ryan entered this game 2-0 and may have been a little over confident. At the same time this was the same team Father Ryan destroyed the year before for their first win. Franklin was ready. It may also be interesting to note that Father Ryan beat Ravenwood in a week zero Friday night under the lights game. This game was played for keeps. Of course Ravenwood was in the 5A championship game last year.

When it is all said and done, Ryan will show up offensively this year. Ryan Berry will be tough to stop with a big mature offensive line coming back. They should be able to score some points. The question mark for me is the D. With a favorable schedule this team should win 7 games showing up. Good Luck Father Ryan. Father Ryan wins the first one by 14.

I really miss the where this has anything to do with football. Sounds like another Father Crying post to me.

Perhaps the answer to your question is that Father Ryan see's its students in more than an athletic sense, but instead see's the needs of all its students athletes or not. I believe that this is the correct way to give financial aid. The more students you help, the better. And athletics should not have anything to do with it. I believe that Father Ryan comes as close to reaching this goal as any private school in the state of Tennessee. Rumor was that JPII was given leeway to do a little extra in the beginning by the Bishop at that time. Rumor further has it that some of the more famous players who attended there were financed by wealthly benefactors to the school, who knows for sure. But I think that success in athletics is secondary to success in school and life for its students and it is not worth losing financial aid just for the sake of playing in a different division and maybe being more successful in sports. Lastly, this would be devastating to the most needy families who otherwise without financial assistence simply could not have their children attend the school.

I agree with your post 100% and I would add that in cases where you have an exceptional athlete like a Golden Tate who wanted to attend Father Ryan, that their be opportunity to bring exception to the otherwise "rule". I have seen both BA and MBA hand pick exceptional athletes out of the parochial league before they even leave the middle school. Again, these athletes would have been the difference in a mediocre record, and a run for a championship. The coaches in these school's should create awareness so that potentially some kind of an aid package can be considered that otherwise might not have been offered. For example a 7th grader at St. Henry's goes to BA for 8th grade where a financial package made the difference. Yes, I too had heard of a benefactor at JPII, but do not clearly understand how this works for any school. Does anyone care to comment on this? I would assume there are benefactors at BA and MBA who make the difference in a kid coming there versus elsewhere. I will add, that if anyone remembers Cincinnati Moeller and Jerry Faust, I can tell you kids moved from all over the country to live with relatives, friends, etc. to play for what was then the top high school program in the country back in the 70's and 80's. It was a parochial school, and again I understand had many benefactors. Where does each school's "need based" scholarship fund come from? Does anyone know the ins and outs of this?

I really miss the where this has anything to do with football. Sounds like another Father Crying post to me.

$4,000 has much to do with football in the sense that a family with special needs and a special athlete will choose to save $16,000 rather than blow it just for a certain school. even if there is family ties and the kid wants to go there, most the time the parents will overrule the child and save the 16k and send him to JPII. Your ignorant bauber, but aren't we all.

I agree with your post 100% and I would add that in cases where you have an exceptional athlete like a Golden Tate who wanted to attend Father Ryan, that their be opportunity to bring exception to the otherwise "rule". I have seen both BA and MBA hand pick exceptional athletes out of the parochial league before they even leave the middle school. Again, these athletes would have been the difference in a mediocre record, and a run for a championship. The coaches in these school's should create awareness so that potentially some kind of an aid package can be considered that otherwise might not have been offered. For example a 7th grader at St. Henry's goes to BA for 8th grade where a financial package made the difference. Yes, I too had heard of a benefactor at JPII, but do not clearly understand how this works for any school. Does anyone care to comment on this? I would assume there are benefactors at BA and MBA who make the difference in a kid coming there versus elsewhere. I will add, that if anyone remembers Cincinnati Moeller and Jerry Faust, I can tell you kids moved from all over the country to live with relatives, friends, etc. to play for what was then the top high school program in the country back in the 70's and 80's. It was a parochial school, and again I understand had many benefactors. Where does each school's "need based" scholarship fund come from? Does anyone know the ins and outs of this?

I agree with you. There can be exceptions with exceptional athletes. However, I don't think this is being practiced at all at Ryan presently. I hope this will change slightly. Only one or two extrodinary athletes and you and me know what a boost it can be to a team. I totally don't understand the difference between JPII and Ryan in the manner that they pursue athletes. I know they were given some leeway in the beginning, but it seems to be still full-steam ahead in their pursuit of catholic or non catholic athletes at JPII. At one point the difference in non-catholic tuition was a few thousand, but is now about the same. As to need based scholarships, there are several small scholarships at Ryan, which I believe rely entirely on contributions. I could be wrong. I get letters asking for donations every year for these financial aid packages. PS I hope the Irish-JPII game will be televised this year due to having to be out of town and not able to attend. I sure would like to watch it.

$4,000 has much to do with football in the sense that a family with special needs and a special athlete will choose to save $16,000 rather than blow it just for a certain school. even if there is family ties and the kid wants to go there, most the time the parents will overrule the child and save the 16k and send him to JPII. Your ignorant bauber, but aren't we all.

Yes, I understand this but it always just comes down to crying about scholarships!!! The dog is dead and on the ground turning into dust; it might be time to stop hitting him with a sledgehammer.

I agree with you. There can be exceptions with exceptional athletes. However, I don't think this is being practiced at all at Ryan presently. I hope this will change slightly. Only one or two extrodinary athletes and you and me know what a boost it can be to a team. I totally don't understand the difference between JPII and Ryan in the manner that they pursue athletes. I know they were given some leeway in the beginning, but it seems to be still full-steam ahead in their pursuit of catholic or non catholic athletes at JPII. At one point the difference in non-catholic tuition was a few thousand, but is now about the same. As to need based scholarships, there are several small scholarships at Ryan, which I believe rely entirely on contributions. I could be wrong. I get letters asking for donations every year for these financial aid packages. PS I hope the Irish-JPII game will be televised this year due to having to be out of town and not able to attend. I sure would like to watch it.

The diocese probably allowed JP2 more freedom with financial aid so that they could get the school to capacity very quickly. I am not sure that they now have that freedom so any difference in the two schools is due to their board of directors and the boards decisions. Before the foundadion was poured at JP2 their board of directors and principal made public statements that they would do everything in their power to be the best at everything they participated in including academics, athletics, fine arts, etc... It seems that the board of directors at Father Ryan wants to be good at everything but only within various parameters that they have established.

The diocese probably allowed JP2 more freedom with financial aid so that they could get the school to capacity very quickly. I am not sure that they now have that freedom so any difference in the two schools is due to their board of directors and the boards decisions. Before the foundadion was poured at JP2 their board of directors and principal made public statements that they would do everything in their power to be the best at everything they participated in including academics, athletics, fine arts, etc... It seems that the board of directors at Father Ryan wants to be good at everything but only within various parameters that they have established.

You are probably right on both statements, freedom of JPII and Ryan board of directors. I still believe that JPII is more agressive in attempting to persuade athletes at least in every sport besides football. I am not really sure just how hard Coach Lussier does or is allowed to pursue athletes in football. All Ryan needs is one or two outstanding athletes in football or basketball and we're right up there with the elite. This is a rare occurence the last few years. An example: Golden Tate had the desire to go to Ryan, unless he did not tell the truth to a lot of people. No reason to believe this. But rumor had it that Ryan offered nothing but the standard package that anyone else can qualify for. JPII or one of its benefactors offered a sweeter deal. Naturally he took JPII and swung his brother in with him. A key question: Why does Ryan steadfastly refuse to sweeten the pot with a known outstanding athlete that has expressed a desire to attend school there. Answer that question and you have the answer as to why Ryan in football and basketball will mostly be middle of the road, although every now and then, the parocial league will supply enough athletes for them to field an outstanding team. I used as examples football and basketball, because this situation is not as critical in other sports as the Ryan teams have proven by their records. In other sports besides basketball and football, the parocial league and less often other places will usually supply enough athletes for Ryan to field a good or outstanding team year after year. And attempting to get athletes is not as intense in the other sports as it is in basketball and football.

Well.... try this on for size. If someone is payiing full price to send their child to Father Ryan to get an education you can believe they don't want your child to get a free ride to engage in sports. Maybe that's small of them (Idon't think so) but that's the way life is.

Bounder,

Are you saying that Father Ryan has taken on the "PAY TO PLAY" phylosophy? I have heard that some schools are now dealing with parents that feel if they pay full tuition their son/daughter should play before a child receiving financial aid. Would this phylosophy be fair to the few outstanding athletes already at the school that are paying full tuition that want to win a state championship? Do great athletes not want to play with one another or is this simply parents wanting John/Jane to get the playing time and they don't care if the team wins as long as their child play's every minute of every game? Do the people of Father Ryan not remember that Boots had athletes playing key roles on financial aid when they won a state championship?

This sounds more like parents than student/atletes!

I am just happy that I am down here in Florida City, FL and I don't have to deal with that type of foolish behavior from parents.