Henry Co. vs Martin Westview?

BigRedForLife

WOW

This is awesome. This is the first time I've gotten to post with the big guys. I've been hanging out on the A, AA and AAA forum.

Our first two games have been with single A teams ( JCS just pretends to be AA). All I have heard is how deep we are, and how big we are, and how fast we are because our enrollment is SO much more than single A.

Well the shoe is on the other foot now and I say strap on the headgear and lets play football.

Henry County will be a great measuring stick for the Chargers. The Patriots may be the best team we will face this year. Depth has been a factor in our first two wins but this Friday I have to give the depth factor to HC. I think our speed was a factor in our wins, not that we are fast but Union City was just plain slow and JCS was just not "athletic". I suspect HC has some speed. Our lineman on both sides of the ball were much bigger than our previous opponents. We won't have the same mismatch at HC.

Westview will have a steep hill to climb Friday night. We will face the same situations our 1 A friends face when they step up to AA. I look forward to a new measuring stick. We base our progress on the Milan and Huntingdon games, basically the same teams every year. Are they really that good every year or are they just king of the same hill every year?

Anything can happen on a given Friday night. Don Coady will have the Chargers well prepared and he will get all he can get out of his players. I hope this is a good game and maybe the View can will....but it could get ugly.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its only Saturday and I am already excited for this one to get here! And finally, some good folks to post back and forth with - there don't seem to be any shortage of Westview posters on the other board. Congrats to the Chargers on a win over the defending 1A state champs. This week should be evenly matched with size and speed I think. HC may have a bit more team speed overall, but its probably a wash. In the trenches it will be Big Boys vs. Big Boyz! That all spells some great football!!!

Guest Advisor

I was able to watch Westview in the Jamboree, and from what I saw, they are the best team we have played so far. I think they are better than Dickson and Father Ryan. The scrimmage with Father Ryan was no indication at all, about how good either team involved, actually will be. If the Henry County players feel at all like some of the initial posters on this thread, then it will be a long night for Henry County. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think Westview is a whole lot better than Dickson. I believe that if the two teams played ten times, Westview would win six of them. I have seen both teams, plus Henry County twice. That is my educated opinion, whether anyone agrees or not.

As most who posts on HC threads know......generally most statements listed on here carry quite a bit of merit. However, the Advisor has noticed some confused posters on here in the last couple of days. Drewcephus, BigRed84...........I know you guys are gonna say ............focus on Westview..........and I am..........however........the Ol' Red Warrior's facts seem to be severely distorted...........so you guys excuse me during the next paragraph.

Red Warrior, If I may refer you to the TSSAA website. This is the official website of not only Tennessee high school football but all high school sports across the Volunteer State. This is a site run by the TSSAA so the schedules,guidelines, records, stats, and facts published on this page are produced in good faith and can be looked upon as being accurate and without bias!

As you will notice the "Prep Performance Rating" which takes into consideration....among other things......strength of schedule, margin of victory, and home field...........you will find that Westview has a 60.9 power rating. As you scroll down you'll notice the DC Cougars have a 68.1 power rating. Keep in mind that our friendly Cougar rivals beat there region foe Brentwood High WHO currently has a 63.5 rating in the poll. SOOOO..........using your educated opinion............are you saying that if Westview played in Region 6-5A (one of the 2 most competive regions in TN) that they would win this region?? Franklin who has a higher ranking than both lost to Ravenwood thus leaving Dickson tied for the lead in Region 6.

As a casual fan...........I know many of us ignore what happens prior to the first scheduled game before forming our opinions.........as the Truth Speaking, Fact Preaching Advisor, I must tell you that coaches pay very much attention to such contests! Also consider that Father Ryan and HC played 3 solid quarters using there starters to form such opinions to better help them prepare for there regular season schedule. Also notice that the Irish sport a 73.0 power rating as well as a 3-0 record.

So........AGAIN.......... all respect is due the Lightning Bolts of Martin as we as educated spectators understand the threat they pose, spare us the educated opinions and false facts!! GO BIG RED!!!

Guest Advisor

WOW

This is awesome. This is the first time I've gotten to post with the big guys. I've been hanging out on the A, AA and AAA forum.

Our first two games have been with single A teams ( JCS just pretends to be AA). All I have heard is how deep we are, and how big we are, and how fast we are because our enrollment is SO much more than single A.

Well the shoe is on the other foot now and I say strap on the headgear and lets play football.

Henry County will be a great measuring stick for the Chargers. The Patriots may be the best team we will face this year. Depth has been a factor in our first two wins but this Friday I have to give the depth factor to HC. I think our speed was a factor in our wins, not that we are fast but Union City was just plain slow and JCS was just not "athletic". I suspect HC has some speed. Our lineman on both sides of the ball were much bigger than our previous opponents. We won't have the same mismatch at HC.

Westview will have a steep hill to climb Friday night. We will face the same situations our 1 A friends face when they step up to AA. I look forward to a new measuring stick. We base our progress on the Milan and Huntingdon games, basically the same teams every year. Are they really that good every year or are they just king of the same hill every year?

Anything can happen on a given Friday night. Don Coady will have the Chargers well prepared and he will get all he can get out of his players. I hope this is a good game and maybe the View can will....but it could get ugly.

Welcome Alsoafan and great post!! You are correct on several points! Mostly that Don Coady will have his Chargers meticulously prepared for a long a physical battle Friday evening. Many of us here hold him in high regards along with his Peter Gammons look-a-like assistant!! The Advisor finds it interesting that you (Charger fan assumingly) are curious about using Milan and the Stangs as a measuring stick year in year out! I've never heard it put as "king of the same ol' hill" but it makes for an interesting thought! Thanks ALSOAFAN! By the way..........hope you can make it Friday night...........come early.........mingle between the tailgate parties..........and WE can't wait for this week's game or the return trip in '08 to Martin! Both should be very entertaining!!

As most who posts on HC threads know......generally most statements listed on here carry quite a bit of merit. However, the Advisor has noticed some confused posters on here in the last couple of days. Drewcephus, BigRed84...........I know you guys are gonna say ............focus on Westview..........and I am..........however........the Ol' Red Warrior's facts seem to be severely distorted...........so you guys excuse me during the next paragraph.

Red Warrior, If I may refer you to the TSSAA website. This is the official website of not only Tennessee high school football but all high school sports across the Volunteer State. This is a site run by the TSSAA so the schedules,guidelines, records, stats, and facts published on this page are produced in good faith and can be looked upon as being accurate and without bias!

As you will notice the "Prep Performance Rating" which takes into consideration....among other things......strength of schedule, margin of victory, and home field...........you will find that Westview has a 60.9 power rating. As you scroll down you'll notice the DC Cougars have a 68.1 power rating. Keep in mind that our friendly Cougar rivals beat there region foe Brentwood High WHO currently has a 63.5 rating in the poll. SOOOO..........using your educated opinion............are you saying that if Westview played in Region 6-5A (one of the 2 most competive regions in TN) that they would win this region?? Franklin who has a higher ranking than both lost to Ravenwood thus leaving Dickson tied for the lead in Region 6.

As a casual fan...........I know many of us ignore what happens prior to the first scheduled game before forming our opinions.........as the Truth Speaking, Fact Preaching Advisor, I must tell you that coaches pay very much attention to such contests! Also consider that Father Ryan and HC played 3 solid quarters using there starters to form such opinions to better help them prepare for there regular season schedule. Also notice that the Irish sport a 73.0 power rating as well as a 3-0 record.

So........AGAIN.......... all respect is due the Lightning Bolts of Martin as we as educated spectators understand the threat they pose, spare us the educated opinions and false facts!! GO BIG RED!!!

Well you need to read the top line of said "Prep Performance Rating". I quote, "It is not necessarily correct to compare power ratings between classes, ratings are designed to give best results within a class."

Coach Coady would not have scheduled Henry County if he did not think he would be competitive or beat them. Coach Gaddis would not have scheduled a 2A school if he did not think Henry County would be down from last year talent wise. But fear not you will likely win your weak region because most West TN teams are DOWN this year. You will still have a good season ending in the 2nd or third round in time to go to your grannies for Thanksgiving.

Prediction Henry County 21 Westview 17. I would not be shocked at all to see Westview win though.

Well you need to read the top line of said "Prep Performance Rating". I quote, "It is not necessarily correct to compare power ratings between classes, ratings are designed to give best results within a class."

Coach Coady would not have scheduled Henry County if he did not think he would be competitive or beat them. Coach Gaddis would not have scheduled a 2A school if he did not think Henry County would be down from last year talent wise. But fear not you will likely win your weak region because most West TN teams are DOWN this year. You will still have a good season ending in the 2nd or third round in time to go to your grannies for Thanksgiving.

Prediction Henry County 21 Westview 17. I would not be shocked at all to see Westview win though.

hey water squirrel, you must not understand either: Not necessarily = not 100% accurate but still a good comparison. Down talent wise? Are you high? We are up talent wise, considerably. Coach Coady asked for the game, do you think HC would have just turned it down and said, "Naw Coach Coady, we are gonna be too good to play you guys this year." You crack me up, going home to see our grannies?!?!? We shall see who is playing that November Friday that is so coveted in these parts...

And good post Advisor, you are right on target in my opinion. Welcome alsoafan! Come on over to Paris and enjoy some fine tailgate dining!!!

Guest Advisor

RiverRodent..........since the Advisor is everywhere..........I must tell you that I was in attendance at this past year's West TN scheduling conference (in spirit nonetheless)! Uniquely located in the NE corner of West TN, our fearless Athletic Director is also forced to attend the Middle TN scheduling meeting.......which I also was spiritually attending! After each of these meetings, the Fighting Minutemen of Paris were left with only 9 games. 6 of these 9 games were Region 7-4A members. The others were: DC Cougars, NW Vikings, and Memphis Treadwell who will travel to Paris two years in a row ............well..............let's just say...........they were "encouraged" to do so! HOWEVER.........at the West TN meeting............the Chargers were approached about this possible match up and (paraphasing of course) we were told to go whizz up a rope!!! It was only after the Mighty Thunderbolts were left with only 9 games that the Patriots were contacted about the possible open date still being vacant. Thus a game was born!

WaterRat.......next year when the Patriots come to Martin, you might want to notice the letters printed on the front of the bus. Enscribed on the grill states "ANYTIME-ANY PLACE" which is a creed Parisians have been living with ever since the old 3A days! As a matter of fact, two of your coaches were on the Patriot staff when the closest team the Patriots could find to entertain them were the Red Raiders of Chattanooga Baylor! This also reminds the Advisor of games against Murfreesboro Oakland, Lebanon Blue Devils, Ridgeway Roadrunners, and Hopkinsville, KY. So spare us your scheduling conspiracy theories!!

By the way.......those Turkey drumsticks sure do taste better at those Friday playoff tailgate parties than they do at Grandma's house! The boiled custurd seems to be a little stronger too for some reason...............I ain't figured that one out yet!!

Red Warrior I too have seen both Westview and Dickson play and I have got to disagree. Dickson is better than Westview. Relativity plays in this game and as good as Westview is in their class, do you really believe that they would have beaten Brentwood high, as Dickson did. Classification has a whole lot to do with good teams. I think it will be a good game by both Westview and Henry county, I think Henry county wins 9 out of 10 times and I think Dickson beats Martin Westview 9 of 10. Westview is a program that HC better respect and I am sure that Gaddis will have the Patriots ready. This game is about size and speed and well HC has both. Westview has been said to have depth. From what I have noticed about HC is that nobody is playing both ways, does Westview have that kind of depth? Westview will have to change their defensive philosophy against HC or they will never keep up. They have got to load the box and that is not what they have done to this point. Henry county has not played but one team that was in their league this season and Westview has not playe one, After this week the line will be the same, Westview is not in the same league as Henry county and that is why the TSSAA has classifications. Westview could beat a lot of 4a teams but Henry county is not one of them.

After coaching for 35 years, I don't need Performance Ratings to tell me what I see. I am saying that Dickson has a good team, but not great. They will not win their region, and my guess is, that Brentwood is a little down. If Henry County had played a good first quarter against Dickson, they would have won either 28-0, or 35-0. That will not happen against Westviev, based on what I saw in the Jamboree. Both of their lines are better than Dickson. Their backs are not quite as good. Their QB is very good. I simply think Westview to be better than Dickson, and Henry County to be better than both. This game, in my estimation, will be closer than most think. I hope I am wrong.

Red Warrior I too have seen both Westview and Dickson play and I have got to disagree. Dickson is better than Westview. Relativity plays in this game and as good as Westview is in their class, do you really believe that they would have beaten Brentwood high, as Dickson did. Classification has a whole lot to do with good teams. I think it will be a good game by both Westview and Henry county, I think Henry county wins 9 out of 10 times and I think Dickson beats Martin Westview 9 of 10. Westview is a program that HC better respect and I am sure that Gaddis will have the Patriots ready. This game is about size and speed and well HC has both. Westview has been said to have depth. From what I have noticed about HC is that nobody is playing both ways, does Westview have that kind of depth? Westview will have to change their defensive philosophy against HC or they will never keep up. They have got to load the box and that is not what they have done to this point. Henry county has not played but one team that was in their league this season and Westview has not playe one, After this week the line will be the same, Westview is not in the same league as Henry county and that is why the TSSAA has classifications. Westview could beat a lot of 4a teams but Henry county is not one of them.

I was quite impressed with Westview in their Jamboree. As I previously stated, their lines are better than Dickson. I don't care who they are playing. Their QB is a winner. The only edge that Henry County has is speed. I think it will be a good game. I hope that I am wrong.

WaterRat.......next year when the Patriots come to Martin, you might want to notice the letters printed on the front of the bus. Enscribed on the grill states "ANYTIME-ANY PLACE" which is a creed Parisians have been living with ever since the old 3A days! As a matter of fact, two of your coaches were on the Patriot staff when the closest team the Patriots could find to entertain them were the Red Raiders of Chattanooga Baylor! This also reminds the Advisor of games against Murfreesboro Oakland, [/color][/color]Lebanon Blue Devils, Ridgeway Roadrunners, and Hopkinsville, KY. So spare us your scheduling conspiracy theories!!

By the way.......those Turkey drumsticks sure do taste better at those Friday playoff tailgate parties than they do at Grandma's house! The boiled custurd seems to be a little stronger too for some reason...............I ain't figured that one out yet!! [/size][/font][/b]

They are not my coaches, I have a dual allegiance that will not be disclosed but Westview is not one of them. I feel quite in tune with the football being played in west TN and make judgement calls accordingly. I am wrong on occasion and this may be one of them but you will not mercy rule Westview as some have predicted.

Coady left HC three years before HC played Baylor. Hurst joined Coady two years after he left. Scott Samsel was at the helm when you beat them there. The following year you played them at home and won again.

You will have to Melrose in the Quarters to be playing turkey week. I am not sure you can do that this year. I will be pulling for you should you make it.