Hampton vs Unicoi County

HamptonBulldogs1

To answer your question...yes, Unicoi has very much improved over the past two years. They have a tremendous defense that was on the field way too long against South. Otherwise, the numbers would have reflected the talent and heart. I don't think it was either team's most fundamental effort, but they were absolutely hitting mercilessly all night. I hope that the 'man Hampton must have played awful' tone that I'm picking up on right now isn't a reflection of what everyone that went to the game thinks. Those in attendance should know that Unicoi is a good team that plays with everything they have- much like the 'Dogs.

it is a reflection of what everyone who went to the game thought. hampton played awful...

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hampton has a good ball club but they would get destroyed by the 97 squad. This year they are great 1a team but if they were in 2a THEY WOULD JUST BE GOOD. 3 rounds and done.

are you talking about the 97 Hampton team? If you are, I believe the team you are talking about would be the 96 team. I agree that the 96 team would roll against this team. they were absolutley loaded and lost an away 3rd round game when they out gained their opponent by 300 hundred yards and it the loss was to the eventual state champion knox webb. i honestly believe though that this year's Hampton team has the defense to win state. i feel the defense might be better than the past 2 years. but they just cant move the ball at all. but unlike you i feel they will go at least to the 4th round cuz they have done beaten the best from region 2, Oneida...

Hustle,

I don't want to detract from the thread but to answer your question on how the kids are doing. I can't say about the others, maybe someone can fill you in, but I can say that Townsend has done an awesome job during summer camp at Carson Newman, and he has progressed well to this point. He was red-shirted originally but has been pulled and got to dress for his 1st college game today. Actually got to play for a couple series and run the ball a couple of times. He's only a freshman, and to be able to get to dress out is (I believe) a major accomplishment, playing today was icing on the cake. He has scored a TD or two in the JV games as well. Needless to say, we're all VERY PROUD of him and sure he will continue to progs. Thanks for asking!

That's great to hear! I really thought that if he found the right college, success would follow him to the next level. Looks like that's the case. Please tell him that the Blue Devil faithful are rooting for him all the way.

I believe they could hold their on just fine, We'll see how Johnson Co does when they play South. Bet you they don't put up 50 on Johnson Co, any takers.

Hey, I guess nobody was listening. Way too much bragging on here. There is a difference between a highly motivated team and or a sky-high team and one that is not particularly motivated. Also coaches experiment or hold back to keep people on down the line from seeing anything. Johnson Co. will be more motivated than South or their coaches just as they will be against Tn. high. Hampton will not have a chance against the top teams in the MLC. especially if they have to play all of them. There's only 1 to 3 games a year that a team can get sky-high for and the coaches can out game plan. You all have a darn good team but the braggin' was out of sight. If you did that up here in this conference you would motivate an otherwise flat team and then get beat by at least half of them in the conference. Be cool and have a good season.

I've been waiting for your take on the game, Pujo. I respect your opinion and I want to know how we stack up against Johnson County- since you've seen us both in action. Really I'd like to hear from anyone who has attended both games.

I have been to both games and watched Johnson Co. also play Elizabethton. I believe that Johnson Co. was clearly the better team even though the game was closer against Unicoi. Johnson Co. has the two best players I have seen play this year in Tyler Leonard and Christian Prudhomme. Prudhomme had an excellent game against the Dogs with 2 TD catches and had a long TD catch against the Cyclones. Leonard is a very hard nosed and tough runner. He doesnt dance around, he just hits the hole extremely hard and he should be able to run fairly easy on Unicoi. The Longhorns are the only team that has consistently moved the ball on Hampton. Hampton just came ready to play against Johnson Co. because the Johnson Co. game actually meant something to them. If Hampton would have played as bad against Johnson Co. as they did against Oneida and Unicoi Co. then Hampton would have gotten hammered. I can promise you that...

I know many Hampton fans are upset because they are not blowing the area teams out this year. Maybe the competition is catching up, or maybe Hampton don't have the play makers they had last year. I'm telling you, Hampton fans are expecting too much. My suggestion is get behind this team and get them to play like an underdog. Teams that used to lay down are hitting people in the mouth. I saw a quote in the paper by a Hampton player that Unicoi was the last major hurdle. With that mentality, Hampton will get beat before the end of the season and will exit early in the playoffs. As much as I hate Unaka, Hampton better come ready to play on both sides of the ball or it will be upset city. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

All I've heard for the past two years is how good Hampton is. I honestly dont know how you people expect them to have any other preception of themselves when it is constently beat into their heads by people on this board, and Pujo you are the worst one of the bunch! Another thing, everytime you guys get beat its never because you got outplayed or out coached its always because "we just didnt play good." What a bunch of CRAP, my advice to the Dawgs is this, stay off this board and pay attention to no one but JC and his staff and thats the best thing that you could do, you guys do have a solid club no doubt, but you all are not the best thing since sliced bread and as the cliche goes "on any given Friday night..." you know the rest.

I agree. I used to be really bad about putting Cloudland on a pedestal. Now, I'm just trying to be like my brother posters on here. Some of the arrogant things I've read in the paper have been unbelievable. Campbell even had the gall to say that Unicoi was the last major hurdle this season. Last week, he bragged how lil Mike was a better QB than Jellico's QB. Don't get me wrong, I hope Hampton destroys Unaka, but when they come to Cloudland, I hope they feel like they are not going to have a "hurdle" to jump over. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />