Bands Playing While Game Is Going On

CallMeTheBreeze

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing in the NFHS 2007 Rules book concerning bands. However, the TSSAA does prohibit "artificial noisemakers". My better half (20+ years high school official) says that the QB can inform the referee (white hat) that the band is interfering with their ability to snap the ball. This falls under rule 9-5-1 Noncontact unsportsmanlike conduct in which a team is not allowed to use disconcerting acts or words prior to the snap in an attempt to interfere with the offense signals or movements. 15 yard penalty.

It can also fall under rule 9-8-1 noncontact unsportsmanlike conduct by nonplayers or 9-9-1 unfair acts which is that a player or nonplayer shall not hinder play with no specific rule coverage.

All that said, it is usually not enforced. Referees will usually issue a warning to the coach for the band director to quieten down during live play. Players should also be aware of increased volume from fans if they complain.

I agree, it should be a specific rule!

There is nothing in the NFHS 2007 Rules book concerning bands. However, the TSSAA does prohibit "artificial noisemakers". My better half (20+ years high school official) says that the QB can inform the referee (white hat) that the band is interfering with their ability to snap the ball. This falls under rule 9-5-1 Noncontact unsportsmanlike conduct in which a team is not allowed to use disconcerting acts or words prior to the snap in an attempt to interfere with the offense signals or movements. 15 yard penalty.

It can also fall under rule 9-8-1 noncontact unsportsmanlike conduct by nonplayers or 9-9-1 unfair acts which is that a player or nonplayer shall not hinder play with no specific rule coverage.

All that said, it is usually not enforced. Referees will usually issue a warning to the coach for the band director to quieten down during live play. Players should also be aware of increased volume from fans if they complain.

I agree, it should be a specific rule!

Some people pay more attention to what is going on off the field than what is going on it. If the referees were to enforce those rules I know some teams would have over 200 or more yards in penalities a game on those rules alone. Most teams are not bothered by bands playing during a drive. It just seems the fans are the ones that have the problem. If a player dosn't like playing with noise well the noise only get worse at the next level.

I can't believe this is even a thread. Many years ago, I was in the band and the players LOVED it when we played during the game. It fired them up. As far as the "artifical noisemakers" I see nothing wrong with jugs, air horns, cowbells, and etc.....If a player can't concentrate on the play any better than that, they need some Ritalin or afew laps around the football field during their practices to "get their mind right"....how would they feel if NOONE was in the stands?

I can't believe this is even a thread. Many years ago, I was in the band and the players LOVED it when we played during the game. It fired them up. As far as the "artifical noisemakers" I see nothing wrong with jugs, air horns, cowbells, and etc.....If a player can't concentrate on the play any better than that, they need some Ritalin or afew laps around the football field during their practices to "get their mind right"....how would they feel if NOONE was in the stands?

Amen brother, get in the game or go home

What happens when a small school that doesn't have a band is playing against a larger school that does have a band? Would the small school fans be allowed to use air horns, cow bells, etc. since, technically all band instruments are "artificial noisemakers"? Don't get me wrong, I also love to see it loud and rowdy at games. The louder, the better. It DOES pump up the players. I guess what I'm asking is what can a school without a band do to make noise without being penalized if bands are allowed to play?

What happens when a small school that doesn't have a band is playing against a larger school that does have a band? Would the small school fans be allowed to use air horns, cow bells, etc. since, technically all band instruments are "artificial noisemakers"? Don't get me wrong, I also love to see it loud and rowdy at games. The louder, the better. It DOES pump up the players. I guess what I'm asking is what can a school without a band do to make noise without being penalized if bands are allowed to play?

Years ago, when we played Trousdale Co., they did not have a marching band. It didn't seem to affect them considering they were State Champs in 1972(?) However, you could make the point that Red Boiling does have a band either, but then again, I'm not sure about their football program.

I have seen lots of artificial noise makers confiscated during basketball games, but I have never seen any thing like that in football. At our game last week, there were air horns on both sides of the stadium, used after TD's, and both teams had bands playing. Our "Cross Creek Rivals" are Black and Gold, and fill Mayfield's milk jugs with rocks to make noise makers (a couple thousand of those make a racket!). I think that if you want a quite sport take up golf or tennis. Football is a "noisy" sport. Fans cheer, bands play, horns sound, and players shout and talk trash on the field. If you have a problem with noise, do like the next level and practice with the loud speakers playing loud so you'll be used to it. But if you have a good team, people are going to come watch, and if they come watch, they are going to cheer and make noise, and if they can, give their home team an advantage of noise at the right moments. THAT'S FOOTBALL.

I love bands and half time shows. However, I don't like it when the only time a band plays is when the opposing team is trying to get an offensive play off. If they want to play nonstop from pregame to post, wonderful. If they want to only play when their team is trying to get a play off, wonderful. If fans want to cheer, wonderful. I just don't believe it is very sportsmanlike to only play when the opposing team is attempting to get the play off. A really good band director understands when it is appropriate to blast the stadium and when it should be less loud. The UT band doesn't play when the UT offense is trying to snap the ball!