A lenoir city winning streek?

lcpanther67

Coaching? You honestly think that is all it takes to win a ballgame? How about TALENT? How about some leadership from Senoirs? As far as this season goes, as a TRUE fan of Lenoir City, one must realize the YOUTH of this team. Such as, EIGHT sophomores starting against Powell. These kids are 15 years old, never played in a middle school program (which would eliminate the Coaches having to teach them the basics during practice and get on to the REAL dynamics of the game) and they have NO support from the COMMUNITY other than to ridicule them in every aspect. The people who come to the games want to sit in the stands and analyze every play, every move, every kid that is put in to play. The only thing that the people in the stands should be doing is cheering (supporting) these kids as they get out there and give it their all. What most do not understand is that the Coaches can't put on a suit and get out there and do it for them. The only thing that can happen is for the YOUNG player to do what he is instructed to do and to do it to the best of their ability. Talent is given, NOT TAUGHT or LEARNED. The coaching staff at LC are knowledgeable in their positions. But, if the talent isn't there, it just isn't there. 4-A is tough...and the only reason why they are in this region is because of the number of students enrolled at the school. It is sad, because most people don't even know that. There is nothing at that school to want the "athletes" to come out for Football, basketball or baseball. Look at the facilities, the stadium, the gym..the fields...there is NOTHING that attracts the kids to the sports. If FOOTBALL is such a priority in the town of LC then why doesn't anyone (Schoolboard) step up to the plate and get the programs moving in the right direction. The first direction would be to have a MIDDLE SCHOOL team like every other NORMAL 4-A school in the region. The kids in these other schools have been supported from the little leagues all the way up and that is why they are so productive. If the little league in LC would play the teams like Blount, Knox...etc. and get on the same page as the high school (or if they had a middle school program) then there would more likely be progress for the program. I disagree that the teams in the last four years have NOT been coached. That is a joke. Those kids get more than coaching than they would ever realize , they get dedication from a group of men that support their players. But, only nine supporting 50 or so kids can't cut it...they need it from a higher group (the school board and other administration) and TRUE FANS. LC may NOT win a game this season, but those kids who are dedicated to the game and still have the support of their coaches will have learned a life lesson...WINNING ISN'T EVERYTHING.

Let's get right to the point. First you can never play guys on both sides of the ball the entire ballgame and expect them to compete at the 4a level. To many of these coaches have there picks and in turn feel they have to play them all game. wrong answer, to many guys sitting the bench that can play ball. 4 years ago this group was led by a sorry coach named McCarter and from the very start they were wiped off the field. Then came there 10-11th years and they never improved. Part of the reason is you have a coach named Meyers that actually thought he could run an offense. Be real, he was typical benchwarmer in HS and has not a clue. But White knew better but due to friendship he didn't kick him to the curb and this will ultimatley cost White his job.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes 4A is tough, but getting embarassed by a 2A and 3A teams is even tougher. Let the Maryville coach or Powell or any other team in this region go 4-6 then 1-9 and then start a season like this team has and see how supportive their fans are. I have always said this coaching staff knows football, and I don't doubt they are as dedicated as any staff around, but losing records are losing records. It just doesn't add up when the 8th grade teams can go undefeated for a few years straight and the freshmen teams can't even score. We don't have middle school ball that is true, but we have a fine little league that always has lots of players. You can't tell me these boys forget how to play ball in one summer.No, they have not forgot how to play over the summer, they just have not been coached the fundamentals of the game. The fundamentals of blocking and tackling have changed in the last 25 years. Your so called little leaque teams are very competitve against Vonore, Madisonville, Tellico, Sweetwater, Etowah, Loudon and Riceville. You still line up in the Power I with kids that will be lineman in high school. You play with a wieght limit so bigger kids can't play. The youth league only cares about the youth league. They really could care less about the high school program except for the free use of facilities. It would be better if there was no youth league in Lenior City. At least coaches could start from scratch and teach the real fundamentals of the game. They also would not have to deal with 8th grade superstars who never get any better because they listen to parents and youth league coaches instead of the high school coaching staff. My advice is that you need to focus on the freshman team the rest of the year. Let your sophs and jrs get as many snaps as they can on Fri and Mon. Start over! Build off the current freshman class.

Yes 4A is tough, but getting embarassed by a 2A and 3A teams is even tougher. Let the Maryville coach or Powell or any other team in this region go 4-6 then 1-9 and then start a season like this team has and see how supportive their fans are. I have always said this coaching staff knows football, and I don't doubt they are as dedicated as any staff around, but losing records are losing records. It just doesn't add up when the 8th grade teams can go undefeated for a few years straight and the freshmen teams can't even score. We don't have middle school ball that is true, but we have a fine little league that always has lots of players. You can't tell me these boys forget how to play ball in one summer.No, they have not forgot how to play over the summer, they just have not been coached the fundamentals of the game. The fundamentals of blocking and tackling have changed in the last 25 years. Your so called little leaque teams are very competitve against Vonore, Madisonville, Tellico, Sweetwater, Etowah, Loudon and Riceville. You still line up in the Power I with kids that will be lineman in high school. You play with a wieght limit so bigger kids can't play. The youth league only cares about the youth league. They really could care less about the high school program except for the free use of facilities. It would be better if there was no youth league in Lenior City. At least coaches could start from scratch and teach the real fundamentals of the game. They also would not have to deal with 8th grade superstars who never get any better because they listen to parents and youth league coaches instead of the high school coaching staff. My advice is that you need to focus on the freshman team the rest of the year. Let your sophs and jrs get as many snaps as they can on Fri and Mon. Start over! Build off the current freshman class.

Lenior City didn't start 8 sophomores at Powell. They started 4 sophomores.

Either way we have to many young guys that are not ready for 4a football. Wait until we meet the Central/Maryville/West teams. Seniors waiting in the wings to start but they'll watch from the sidelines while the sophmores get beat up. 3 years ago you had to be a stud sophmore to even see the field, now days you just need to show up to practice or not depending on who you are.

Well first of all you can start educating your players, half of them don't even understand what football is. For example lcpanther67 thinks streak is spelled streek. Come on my sister is in 2nd grade and can spell better than that. You could also find better talent than what you all have. I mean come on, looks like a bunch of paraplegics out there. Finally, if you really want a win you could schedule the Tennessee school for the BLIND in Kingsport you all MIGHT be able to win.

Lenior City didn't start 8 sophomores at Powell. They started 4 sophomores.

Here is your eight Sophomores that started Friday Night. Cratty,Weatherly,Pardue,Pratt,Thomas,Craig,Johnson and Courtney. Well, you could say nine...Cook (kicker). I would think you don't just get to play b/c you are on the team, one would think you would have to "earn" your position just like any other sport. So, senoirs that are on the sidelines may not have worked as hard as those eight sophomores that started. Bottom line, as stated many times, until the Football program gets past the ignorance of parents, community, and administration (including schoolboard) the program will remain as it is. I would understand if LC had always been a powerhouse in Football, where do you get these expectations?

Yes, I agree that the Little League have lots of players, but they are still missing the structure of a "school system athlectic program" when they don't have a middle school program to learn by. When they get into high school and there are more guidelines to go by it is different than just playing for your local league. This system will hopefully realize one day that a Little League program can still function even if there is a middle school team.

About 70% of the students in the High School come from the North Middle School which is a county school (there is no county high school on this end of the county). If the LC school system wants to establish a middle school team there will be very slim pickens to start with. Now with all all the budget fights there is in the county school board already, I don't see them funding a football team to help LCHS (a city school). If somewhere down the road, a county high school is built (which it is suppose to be), then maybe a middle school team could be established at the county middle school. Right now, with the numbers I have heard, I would say that LC Middle is somewhere on the 1A to 2A level of for as size comperision and would put them playing Vonore, Greenback, Loudon etc like they do now, not Maryville or Powell or Central or any of the other teams that the high school plays.

Here is your eight Sophomores that started Friday Night. Cratty,Weatherly,Pardue,Pratt,Thomas,Craig,Johnson and Courtney. Well, you could say nine...Cook (kicker). I would think you don't just get to play b/c you are on the team, one would think you would have to "earn" your position just like any other sport. So, senoirs that are on the sidelines may not have worked as hard as those eight sophomores that started. Bottom line, as stated many times, until the Football program gets past the ignorance of parents, community, and administration (including schoolboard) the program will remain as it is. I would understand if LC had always been a powerhouse in Football, where do you get these expectations?

Actually the only 2 seniors on the sidelines I know of back up other seniors. 3 of the other seniors are injured and can't play (one should return this week, but another is out). The senior running back started (both ways). Some of the other SR's listed on the roster have quit. The kicker is the only one listed on the team (the SR kicker quit).

I'm not going to argue with you about who did and didn't start, but I was given the starters by the Lenoir City coach and I worked the game as a media member. Four sophomores started, and if you include Cook, that would be 5.

QUOTE(OldSecondaryCoach @ Sep 10 2007 - 10:09 AM) The first direction would be to have a MIDDLE SCHOOL team like every other NORMAL 4-A school in the region. The kids in these other schools have been supported from the little leagues all the way up and that is why they are so productive. If the little league in LC would play the teams like Blount, Knox...etc. and get on the same page as the high school (or if they had a middle school program) then there would more likely be progress for the program.

There is no "middle school football" in Knox County, and hasn't been in 25 years. All 7th and 8th graders have to play rec league like you. Now, most all high schools support their "super midget" teams by letting them practice and play at the high school, maybe with uniforms as well, but none of the coaches are paid.

Thank you, So really 1 team (I know it's the region and state champs) in our region has middle school football right?

QUOTE(OldSecondaryCoach @ Sep 10 2007 - 10:09 AM) The first direction would be to have a MIDDLE SCHOOL team like every other NORMAL 4-A school in the region. The kids in these other schools have been supported from the little leagues all the way up and that is why they are so productive. If the little league in LC would play the teams like Blount, Knox...etc. and get on the same page as the high school (or if they had a middle school program) then there would more likely be progress for the program.

Thank you, So really 1 team (I know it's the region and state champs) in our region has middle school football right?

Maryville has a Middle school team. I would say that contributes to continuing STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS.