Whitehaven will embarass Melrose

highschoolking

Ok let's talk players. Let's start with Melrose secondary. Melrose safety Lamarcus Betts is too slow to cover and is really a linebacker. Now he brings the wood but he can't play over the top well enough to help out a beaten corner. Let's move to your corner Killebrew, who always seem to let his receiver get behind him, enough said

!

Melrose definitely has some major issues in its secondary. While the safety may be a bit slow (according to you--I'm not exactly sure, personally) and the corner allows receivers to get past him, the biggest problem appears to be lack of adequate football discipline. They are often guilty, from what I've observed in two of their games this year, of lacadaisical effort and complacency. This is especially true when its DL has the QB on the run, under extreme duress. It's as if Melrose's secondary thinks that the QB won't be able to get the ball down field, past them, in those instances.......This is precisely what doomed Melrose it its loss to Mitchell.

Linebackers- YO YO. God I love this kid, possibly the next coming of Al Wilson, he will anchor a strong defensive rushing attack, but once fatigue sets in he may take a play off that usually result in a big play for the opposing offense. Melrose defensive line looks good. The DE's are saved by #7 Yo-Yo most of the time. If Coach Matt don't make the defensive ends play contain then Hightower will have a heck of a game.

Melrose always has plenty of talent. This year is no exception. What they often lack, however, is Discipline.

Melrose's staff needs to do a better job, IMO, of getting the kids to understand and embrace the importance of football discipline. Talent alone is not enough to win football games, especially Championships.

Now moving over to the offensive side of the ball, Melrose is playing politics in football because #34 can't hold #32 jock strap. #32 Casey Calvin is clearly the better runningback on Melrose football team. However week after week they let #34 start and get more carries, why ? Is it because Calvin is a former Germantown player?

HSK, man-- you've opened up a can of worms now. I was beginning to think that I was the only one who observed that #32 is head-and-shoulders better, more talented RB than the sloeful, "hit-the-ground-the-moment-the-defense-breathes-on-you" RB #34! The difference is as clear as night vs day. No exaggeration!

When I saw #32 carry the ball for the 1st time vs CBHS, my INSTANT thoughts were "Where the heck have they been hiding this guy (inexplicably, he sat on the bench for half the game)--Why the heck ain't he the starting RB? This kid was even more impressive to me than CBHS' highly-touted RB, Eric Wason.

RB #32 is a Bona Fide Game-Changer! He's a load for any defense. No exaggeration.

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever that the Melrose coaching staff continues to put the lead-footed, slow-as-molasses #34 at RB, for even one play--let alone remain the starting RB, when you've got an absolute stud of a RB #32 at your disposal. I'm completely baffled at that decision, just totally dumbfounded!

HSK, your "politics" suggestiion is about the only explanation that makes any sense, when trying to figue how (on God's green earth) Melrose's Coaching staff can justify continuing to put #34 (versus #32) at the RB position!

#13 is a good receiver that can make plays, however everyone in the city knows that when Melrose throw the ball that Jed will be the first receiver that Toney will look to throw the ball to. If he is not open then Toney is going to look for #2, and if he is unavailable then God Help Melrose ! Melrose has talent but the coaches simply won't use it because they are quick to use a cop-out that they are young. Heck ,when your offense is mediocre at best, the best players need to be on the field.

HSK, I was convinced last year that Melrose's head Coach failed to fully utilize his teams talent. This year, I'm even more convinced of that issue....I'm sorry--I just don't think that Melrose's 2nd-year head Coach (former NFL receiver's coach) puts his team in the optimum potsition to succeed and, ultimately, get back to Murfreesboro to play for the Gold Ball.

Oh and please don't bring up Raleigh Egypt because a middle school will beat the brakes off them. I have in depth knowledge of Melrose football team and coaches, so I know very well what I am talking about.

About the only thing positive that can derived from Melrose's blowout win over RE is that Melrose likely got a chance to work out some of its offensive kinks--sorta' like a game-time pracitce. Only time will tell if that was indeed the case, or whether Melrose offense will continue to struggle fiding its rhythm.

Oh and by the way I am not a Whitehaven Fan. I am a Memphis City High School Football Fan , and that's why I am The King !

Oh, BTW, I'm not a Melrose fan, per se. I'm just a long-time fan of High School football, Memphis football in particular.....I'm definitely no "King," either. I suppose that distinction belongs to you and Elvis (ha, ha, ha, ha).

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're pretty bold to make such assumptions, but I guess if you're the self proclaimed "king", then lack of boldness isn't a problem.

I think Whitehaven has the talent to beat Melrose, but I also think Melrose has the talent to beat Whitehaven. Whitehaven just got finished playing an emotionally draining game against White Station. Can they get as "up" for the Melrose game as they need to be? Are they getting after it in practice like they need to in order to be prepared? I don't know, but it is something to consider.

Execution......Whoever wins, will need to execute the plays. #18 might be great, but if he isn't catching the balls only he can reach, it means little to be able to get up over the defenders. Hightower can be contained. I'm not saying Melrose can/will contain him, just saying it can be done.

I guess my point is pretty simple. Any team has the opportunity to win if they execute the plays properly, and if they have prepared properly. That's why the games get played.

Well don't get it twisted, the game still has to be played. Now I make my assumption based on the following. If Whitehaven come out and play their game which doesn't have to be perfect, they will beat Melrose. If Melrose come out and play their game without doing anything spectacular, they will lose ! Melrose has to have a A+ game to win. The way their offensive plays are called and executed scares the heck out of me. The coaching is simply lousy. The bright spot of Melrose is the run defense. The running game is good when #32 Casey Calvin is in.However Whitehaven will forever have a strong defensive line with good linebackers. Whitehaven has a good/great running game. Whitehaven has a nice passing game. So I don't expect it to be close.

Calvin is a good player, but he left Germantown because he was not getting the ball enough and not the main back. The reason was he tended to fumble. Maybe this is still a problem in practice. If that is the reason, when he overcomes that problem he could be a stud.

Thanks for the insight, PigSkinRed.

I'd still take my chances with Calvin any day as starting RB, versus the woeful #34.

Well don't get it twisted, the game still has to be played. Now I make my assumption based on the following. If Whitehaven come out and play their game which doesn't have to be perfect, they will beat Melrose. If Melrose come out and play their game without doing anything spectacular, they will lose ! Melrose has to have a A+ game to win. The way their offensive plays are called and executed scares the heck out of me. The coaching is simply lousy. The bright spot of Melrose is the run defense. The running game is good when #32 Casey Calvin is in.However Whitehaven will forever have a strong defensive line with good linebackers. Whitehaven has a good/great running game. Whitehaven has a nice passing game. So I don't expect it to be close.

That all sounds reasonable. My thought is that Melrose should be preparing for what Whitehaven is bringing. So I don't really expect Whitehaven to get a blowout. It won't surprise me to see WH win, just as it won't surprise me to see Melrose win. If I was betting on the game, my money would be on WH. But it will surprise me to see either team blow out the other.

I'm not even too comfy about White Station vs East. If we don't show up, East could give us a game. I have seen too many upsets in football that is due to a supposedly weak team getting pumped, and the stronger team not being prepared. Plus, WS will get the best effort from all of their opponents.

Don't ya just LOVE this game of football?

We (Mitchell) have played both teams, losing to WH and defeating Mel. Whitehaven has the better team but Melrose is still Melrose. If coach Saulsbury turn the horses loose the game is over. Melrose DB's cannot cover WH. WR's. If WH is forced to run the ball Yo-Yo will have a field day. WH had problems blocking our MLB and Yo-Yo-is better. The game is in the hands of WH. coach.

I agree with you about East Spartansfan, we cannot affors to be overconfident.

Anytime a team sees success one season, the following season their opponents will have it marked as a big game for themslves. For some teams going nowhere, it's like their one shot at having a good memory of thier season, plus they don't want to be on the wrong side of a blowout. For teams with a shot at playoffs, they use it as a measuring stick on how good they are. So we have to show up every week. So far, so good.....

We (Mitchell) have played both teams, losing to WH and defeating Mel. Whitehaven has the better team but Melrose is still Melrose. If coach Saulsbury turn the horses loose the game is over. Melrose DB's cannot cover WH. WR's. If WH is forced to run the ball Yo-Yo will have a field day. WH had problems blocking our MLB and Yo-Yo-is better. The game is in the hands of WH. coach.

Yo-Yo is good but he is not that much better than Andrew " Bertam " Franklin for Mitchell. Andrew is allowed to do much more blitizing than Yo- Yo but I couldn't go wrong with either or on my team.