Whitehaven will embarass Melrose

highschoolking

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whitehaven is going to expose Melrose slow secondary. Melrose defensive ends slash in and really don't play contain. I can expect Hightower for Whitehaven to rush for about 135 yds. Whitehaven will have 200 yards + passing. I predict a sacore of 27 - 6 Whitehaven.

Can I get a fresh order of humbleness, to go please.

Whitehaven is going to expose Melrose slow secondary. Melrose defensive ends slash in and really don't play contain. I can expect Hightower for Whitehaven to rush for about 135 yds. Whitehaven will have 200 yards + passing. I predict a sacore of 27 - 6 Whitehaven.

HighschoolKing,

News Flash: Whitehaven will NOT embarass Melrose!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I agree, HighSchoolKing, that Whitehaven SHOULD defeat Melrose...it's a bit of stretch, however, to say that Whitehaven is going to "embarrass" Melrose. Such an outlandish (IMO) prediction ignores the critical, mental aspect of football games. It also suggests that Melrose is an also-ran patsy of a football team, and that Whitehaven is a super-duper freight-train of a football team. ....Trust me, HSK, neither is true!

HSK, I've seen both these teams play this season. This is CLEARLY the best football team that Whitehaven has had in the last 5 to 7 years, at least! They still need to work on their execution, as this contributed heavily to its loss last week... This year's Melrose squad, on the other hand, is not the stellar, dominating Melrose team from 2 to 4 years ago. They're a very inconsistent bunch, highlighted by very poor offensive line play and undisciplined, lacadaisical downfield coverage. Nevertheless, its pass rush and run defense appear very stout. They still have many offensive weapons and remain dangerous, very dangerous.

In a word: Melrose is no slouch. Whitehaven is definitely no super-team.

On paper, Whitehaven would appear to have the edge. Here's the X-factor, though...and one of the reasons that I feel that this game will be much, much closer that you predict, if not altogether different:

Melrose is STILL "Melrose!"

Melrose has beaten Whitehaven at least 5 or 6 times in a row.. at least! In fact, it's been so long since Whitehven has defeated Melrose, that I can't even remember when it occured. All the current players know this...Trust me when I tell you, HSK, these 16 - 17 year old kids WILL be thinking about that very thing, wondering...wondering just enough that the "seed of doubt" begins to creep in.

The ingrained BELIEF at Melrose is that (call it cocky; call it confidence...call it history; call it whatever) "We have a great football team. We will beat you. We will always beat you. There's nothing you can do about it." The reality for Whitehaven is that they THINK they can beat Melrose-- underscored by the fact that they have never managed to get over the hump and actually defeat Melrose on the football field, in recent memory.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caution: Do not underestimate the magnitude to which the belief system affects performance, especally in competitive sports.

Whitehaven will not embarass Melrose. In fact, I would not be surprised to see Melrose actually defeat Whitehaven....again!

HighschoolKing,

News Flash: Whitehaven will NOT embarass Melrose!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I agree, HighSchoolKing, that Whitehaven SHOULD defeat Melrose...it's a bit of stretch, however, to say that Whitehaven is going to "embarrass" Melrose. Such an outlandish (IMO) prediction ignores the critical, mental aspect of football games. It also suggests that Melrose is an also-ran patsy of a football team, and that Whitehaven is a super-duper freight-train of a football team. ....Trust me, HSK, neither is true!

HSK, I've seen both these teams play this season. This is CLEARLY the best football team that Whitehaven has had in the last 5 to 7 years, at least! They still need to work on their execution, as this contributed heavily to its loss last week... This year's Melrose squad, on the other hand, is not the stellar, dominating Melrose team from 2 to 4 years ago. They're a very inconsistent bunch, highlighted by very poor offensive line play and undisciplined, lacadaisical downfield coverage. Nevertheless, its pass rush and run defense appear very stout. They still have many offensive weapons and remain dangerous, very dangerous.

In a word: Melrose is no slouch. Whitehaven is definitely no super-team.

On paper, Whitehaven would appear to have the edge. Here's the X-factor, though...and one of the reasons that I feel that this game will be much, much closer that you predict, if not altogether different:

Melrose is STILL "Melrose!"

Melrose has beaten Whitehaven at least 5 or 6 times in a row.. at least! In fact, it's been so long since Whitehven has defeated Melrose, that I can't even remember when it occured. All the current players know this...Trust me when I tell you, HSK, these 16 - 17 year old kids WILL be thinking about that very thing, wondering...wondering just enough that the "seed of doubt" begins to creep in.

The ingrained BELIEF at Melrose is that (call it cocky; call it confidence...call it history; call it whatever) "We have a great football team. We will beat you. We will always beat you. There's nothing you can do about it." The reality for Whitehaven is that they THINK they can beat Melrose-- underscored by the fact that they have never managed to get over the hump and actually defeat Melrose on the football field, in recent memory.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caution: Do not underestimate the magnitude to which the belief system affects performance, especally in competitive sports.

Whitehaven will not embarass Melrose. In fact, I would not be surprised to see Melrose actually defeat Whitehaven....again!

Ok let's talk players. Let's start with Melrose secondary. Melrose safety Lamarcus Betts is too slow to cover and is really a linebacker. Now he brings the wood but he can't play over the top well enough to help out a beaten corner. Let's move to your corner Killebrew, who always seem to let his receiver get behind him, enough said ! Linebackers- YO YO. God I love this kid, possibly the next coming of Al Wilson, he will anchor a strong defensive rushing attack, but once fatigue sets in he may take a play off that usually result in a big play for the opposing offense. Melrose defensive line looks good. The DE's are saved by #7 Yo-Yo most of the time. If Coach Matt don't make the defensive ends play contain then Hightower will have a heck of a game. Now moving over to the offensive side of the ball, Melrose is playing politics in football because #34 can't hold #32 jock strap. #32 Casey Calvin is clearly the better runningback on Melrose football team. However week after week they let #34 start and get more carries, why ? Is it because Calvin is a former Germantown player? #13 is a good receiver that can make plays, however everyone in the city knows that when Melrose throw the ball that Jed will be the first receiver that Toney will look to throw the ball to. If he is not open then Toney is going to look for #2, and if he is unavailable then God Help Melrose ! Melrose has talent but the coaches simply won't use it because they are quick to use a cop-out that they are young. Heck ,when your offense is mediocre at best, the best players need to be on the field. Oh and please don't bring up Raleigh Egypt because a middle school will beat the brakes off them. I have in depth knowledge of Melrose football team and coaches, so I know very well what I am talking about.

Oh and by the way I am not a Whitehaven Fan. I am a Memphis City High School Football Fan , and that's why I am The King !

Ok let's talk players. Let's start with Melrose secondary. Melrose safety Lamarcus Betts is too slow to cover and is really a linebacker. Now he brings the wood but he can't play over the top well enough to help out a beaten corner. Let's move to your corner Killebrew, who always seem to let his receiver get behind him, enough said ! Linebackers- YO YO. God I love this kid, possibly the next coming of Al Wilson, he will anchor a strong defensive rushing attack, but once fatigue sets in he may take a play off that usually result in a big play for the opposing offense. Melrose defensive line looks good. The DE's are saved by #7 Yo-Yo most of the time. If Coach Matt don't make the defensive ends play contain then Hightower will have a heck of a game. Now moving over to the offensive side of the ball, Melrose is playing politics in football because #34 can't hold #32 jock strap. #32 Casey Calvin is clearly the better runningback on Melrose football team. However week after week they let #34 start and get more carries, why ? Is it because Calvin is a former Germantown player? #13 is a good receiver that can make plays, however everyone in the city knows that when Melrose throw the ball that Jed will be the first receiver that Toney will look to throw the ball to. If he is not open then Toney is going to look for #2, and if he is unavailable then God Help Melrose ! Melrose has talent but the coaches simply won't use it because they are quick to use a cop-out that they are young. Heck ,when your offense is mediocre at best, the best players need to be on the field. Oh and please don't bring up Raleigh Egypt because a middle school will beat the brakes off them. I have in depth knowledge of Melrose football team and coaches, so I know very well what I am talking about. Oh and by the way I am not a Whitehaven Fan. I am a Memphis City High School Football Fan , and that's why I am The King !

Well its good to see that we have someone pulling for us this year, i have not see melrose this year so I am anxious to see what they have. I know WHitehaven is pretty good offensive and defensively. I think that whitehaven has a few kinks to work out, but when they do they are going to be very, very, hard to beat. I hope "The King" is right and we take care of business, because we have too many weopons. For those melrose fans, watch out for these players: # 18 WR- Can catch over anyone in the city, maybe state. Received national honers at the 7 on 7 national tounament at Hoover AL,. # 8 ATH- Reggie bush style back with quick feet# 1 MLB- Nationally rank LB, always around the ball, big hitter. ( He has been injured may or may not play this week).The only player I remember from melrose was the QB- Toney, who is a very good QB. I remember when he compete with C.Madison for the starting spot. I will say that if WHS play like they did vs. white station, then we will win by 14+, however one or two big plays is all that is needed for melrose to still another one.

Ok let's talk players. Let's start with Melrose secondary. Melrose safety Lamarcus Betts is too slow to cover and is really a linebacker. Now he brings the wood but he can't play over the top well enough to help out a beaten corner. Let's move to your corner Killebrew, who always seem to let his receiver get behind him, enough said ! Linebackers- YO YO. God I love this kid, possibly the next coming of Al Wilson, he will anchor a strong defensive rushing attack, but once fatigue sets in he may take a play off that usually result in a big play for the opposing offense. Melrose defensive line looks good. The DE's are saved by #7 Yo-Yo most of the time. If Coach Matt don't make the defensive ends play contain then Hightower will have a heck of a game. Now moving over to the offensive side of the ball, Melrose is playing politics in football because #34 can't hold #32 jock strap. #32 Casey Calvin is clearly the better runningback on Melrose football team. However week after week they let #34 start and get more carries, why ? Is it because Calvin is a former Germantown player? #13 is a good receiver that can make plays, however everyone in the city knows that when Melrose throw the ball that Jed will be the first receiver that Toney will look to throw the ball to. If he is not open then Toney is going to look for #2, and if he is unavailable then God Help Melrose ! Melrose has talent but the coaches simply won't use it because they are quick to use a cop-out that they are young. Heck ,when your offense is mediocre at best, the best players need to be on the field. Oh and please don't bring up Raleigh Egypt because a middle school will beat the brakes off them. I have in depth knowledge of Melrose football team and coaches, so I know very well what I am talking about. Oh and by the way I am not a Whitehaven Fan. I am a Memphis City High School Football Fan , and that's why I am The King !

Well its good to see that we have someone pulling for us this year, i have not see melrose this year so I am anxious to see what they have. I know WHitehaven is pretty good offensive and defensively. I think that whitehaven has a few kinks to work out, but when they do they are going to be very, very, hard to beat. I hope "The King" is right and we take care of business, because we have too many weopons. For those melrose fans, watch out for these players: # 18 WR- Can catch over anyone in the city, maybe state. Received national honers at the 7 on 7 national tounament at Hoover AL,. # 8 ATH- Reggie bush style back with quick feet# 1 MLB- Nationally rank LB, always around the ball, big hitter. ( He has been injured may or may not play this week).The only player I remember from melrose was the QB- Toney, who is a very good QB. I remember when he compete with C.Madison for the starting spot. I will say that if WHS play like they did vs. white station, then we will win by 14+, however one or two big plays is all that is needed for melrose to steal another one.

Regardless of which team has the better players, Melrose has the mental advantage, has more big game experience, and still has the better program. Melrose by 8 or more.

I like Melrose, the history, the tradition. the high caliber of players that the school has produced. However I am a realist and whitehaven will win big. See ya there Friday !

You're pretty bold to make such assumptions, but I guess if you're the self proclaimed "king", then lack of boldness isn't a problem.

I think Whitehaven has the talent to beat Melrose, but I also think Melrose has the talent to beat Whitehaven. Whitehaven just got finished playing an emotionally draining game against White Station. Can they get as "up" for the Melrose game as they need to be? Are they getting after it in practice like they need to in order to be prepared? I don't know, but it is something to consider.

Execution......Whoever wins, will need to execute the plays. #18 might be great, but if he isn't catching the balls only he can reach, it means little to be able to get up over the defenders. Hightower can be contained. I'm not saying Melrose can/will contain him, just saying it can be done.

I guess my point is pretty simple. Any team has the opportunity to win if they execute the plays properly, and if they have prepared properly. That's why the games get played.