Thoughts on the Patriots

Solomon

Kind of surprised no one has brought this up yet.

This is a pretty big deal, and if Goddell is going to continue to crack down on stuff that makes the league look bad, I don't know how he can come down on this lightly.

Personally, I think any of three parts of this should be levied, probably 2 of the 3.

1) Patriots must forfeit Sunday's win against the Jets. (This seems almost too obvious to me and no one has even mentioned it. Is there a rule against this?)

2) Belicheck is suspended for at least half the season, if not the remainder. No practice during the week, communicator with the team, gameday, etc.

3) Dock them their first and second round draft picks next year and/or shrink their cap number. Distribute it to other teams proportionately to keep the NFLPA happy.

Any other thoughts?

I think filming doesn't give them the edge for the Jets game, therefore, they still get the win for not being able to study it yet.

Two games for Belicheck probably. It would be nice to see a respected coach get the sour grapes of wrath that he deserves.

Draft picks would be out of the question. Though I agree they should lose a first round choice, I don't believe they will go that far.

I think filming doesn't give them the edge for the Jets game, therefore, they still get the win for not being able to study it yet.

Two games for Belicheck probably. It would be nice to see a respected coach get the sour grapes of wrath that he deserves.

Draft picks would be out of the question. Though I agree they should lose a first round choice, I don't believe they will go that far.

I think Belicheck will be suspended 4 games and lose the 3rd or 4th round draft choices for next year.....

Patriots have 5 picks in the first three rounds of next year's draft.

Any move to take away first day draft picks will not have the hammer effect the commissioner may be looking for.

The NFL will not take away the victory against the Jets- it would open Pandora's box.

A hefty fine (which is turned into a charitable contribution) is a false punishment.

I go with the thought of suspending the HC for four games. The organization was warned last year, they can now be termed repeat offenders. This is not any different than suspending the Dallas QB coach for four games for taking HGH (which by the way was taken to combat his ED situation caused by diabetes).

If the league suspends an assistant for this length in this situation, it can do no less (and potentially more) to the "Hoodie."

First let me say the media and the public have turned this into a bigger situation than it really is. At the end of the day regardless of the effect of the videotaping on the game. Players have to make plays to win games. The old Oakland Raiders use to tell you where they were running the ball, guess what it didn't help people stop them. Most teams know when Peyton Manning audibles what is more than likely coming. Guess what? Teams still can't stop him.

We don't know what is exactly is on the tape or what could have been gained from the tape. All we know is that this practice is prohibited by the league so the Patriots in one way or another have to be punished. There is no way the film could have been used for an advantage in the Jets game. So the tape was more than likely for further use or reference for a later time.

For those who say they should forfeit the game. You are out of your mind. For one there is no precedent for such action. 2nd if the commissioner does that then any player that test positive for steroids, there team should have to forfeit all the games that player has participated. That's not going to happen so a forfeit is out the question. The Patriots will not be affected by a lost of a draft pick, albeit a high pick or not. They are the Patriots a franchise that has set the bar for winning in the salary cap era. So that leaves the commissioner a couple choices. He can fine the Patriots, the head coach and all his assistants a substantial amount of money. I am talking upper 6 figures for the franchise, a 6 figure amount for the head coach, and 5 figures for the assistants. There is a point where they will fit it in the check book and the commissioner has that power.

Now the suspension part is the tough one. The commissioner has a power complex as it is. As seen with the Wade Wilson scenario someone previously mentioned. If anyone knows anyone with diabetes or has it themselves they know it is a life long struggle to survive and if HGH is going to give Wilson a better life, he should not be punished. Now if he passed that to a player then yes he should, but don't punish a guy for having a evil disease, which is what is done. People like the new commissioner but I think he has overstepped his boundary and is trying to make a hug impact in too many areas and not realizing he is setting such precedent. So since Mr. Wilson was suspended I believe it was 5 games, not 4 and fined 100,000. Then to be consistent with his previous rulings then the suspension has to be longer than that and so does the fine. Wilson's actions had no effect on a game, the Patriots actions could have effected a game. I personally believe it gave them no advantage on Sunday. So let's see what the Dictator of the NFL decides to do now.

First let me say the media and the public have turned this into a bigger situation than it really is. At the end of the day regardless of the effect of the videotaping on the game. Players have to make plays to win games. The old Oakland Raiders use to tell you where they were running the ball, guess what it didn't help people stop them. Most teams know when Peyton Manning audibles what is more than likely coming. Guess what? Teams still can't stop him.

I agree that the video tape had no effect on this game, but it would have. The camera man got caught going trying to go into the Patriots locker room during halftime so that they could make adjustments. He would tape the hand signals and call out the down and distance so that during the half the Pats could match the 2 up and make adjustments. The tape ended up in league officials hands and the rest is history. But, it is cheating. True, players still have to make plays, but when you have the match ups you want, and you have the right play call, you make it a heck of a lot easier to make plays. At the NFL level, if you put your players in the best possible situation to succeed, then they should. Green Bay caught the same guy doing the same thing last year and made him stop, just so happens they have a former Belichick assistant on their staff. Mangini worked under Belichick and they just happened to catch this guy to. This tells me that its been going on for a long time.

I agree that the video tape had no effect on this game, but it would have. The camera man got caught going trying to go into the Patriots locker room during halftime so that they could make adjustments. He would tape the hand signals and call out the down and distance so that during the half the Pats could match the 2 up and make adjustments.

Actually the camera was taken in the 1st quarter. Also, it would be near impossible to analyze the film during half time and have it be effective for the 2nd half. This was for future reference since they will meet again. But once again I don't think filming an opponent gives you a large advantage in a game. The reason he should be suspended is that it is a rule and he broke that rule after he was already made aware of the ruling. The commissioner used Pacman's history against him, why not use the Patriots history of this against them.

The commissioner dropped the ball on this one with his hefty fine and losing a draft pick based on playoff eligiblity. I agree with the fine because that fine will affect Bill's checking account. However the draft pick ruling is unfair. The rest of the season should not determine their punishment. Suspend him like you did the coach who was trying to improve is health. In baseball do they suspend players on steroids by the number of homeruns they hit? No. The commissioner is being inconsistent in the coaching ranks in regards to discipline.

Actually the camera was taken in the 1st quarter. Also, it would be near impossible to analyze the film during half time and have it be effective for the 2nd half. This was for future reference since they will meet again. But once again I don't think filming an opponent gives you a large advantage in a game. The reason he should be suspended is that it is a rule and he broke that rule after he was already made aware of the ruling. The commissioner used Pacman's history against him, why not use the Patriots history of this against them.

The Boston Herald and the New York Daily News both said he was caught right before halftime, thats what I was going by. Now that I think about it, I could be wrong about them using it in the second half, but I was going by these quote from the Boston Globe.

One member of the Competition Committee theorized that the Patriots could have been using recordings from the defensive signals at halftime, which potentially would have helped them make better adjustments - specifically on blitzes - for the final 30 minutes.

The rule is in place to prevent teams from gaining a competitive advantage by learning an opponent's signals. For example, a videotape of an assistant coach's hand signals could be matched with the overhead photos of each play that are available to teams during a game. In other words, a quarterback might know exactly what to expect from a defense (such as if a blitz is called).

I was under the idea cheating was cheating....What he did was cheating....The Jets coach used to be on his staff and tried to catch the guy last season and the guy got away....No telling how long they(Pats)have been doing this..The Jets ambushed the guy this time and caught him with the goods....What Coach B got was nothing...Kraft more than likely paid the fine along with the team fine...Coach B should have been suspended for 2-4 games with no contact with the team and maybe a couple of draft picks...No way they were going to force the Pats to forfeit the game...But since this is no big deal or blown out of proportion like some have said it was,then any thing that is done illegally to get an advantage should be looked at the same way....The use of this tape or film is used in the second half of games...They(whoever is in charge of the cheating on the Pats sideline)piece together this footage and use it to their advantage by matching up the signals to the film.....I'm sorry,but if you get caught cheating you should pay the penalty and a penalty with some teeth at that,not what Coach B got....

Without fail, every NFL player or ex-player who was asked whether or not it would be an advantage to know the defense's signals replied it would be a huge advantage. If you could look over and know that your opponent was signaling a corner blitz, all you would have to do would be roll you blocking scheme that way and adjust your route to take advantage of the gap. It may make an advantage on just one play, but just one play sometimes is all the advantage you need. You don't think the Titans would've like to have known in advance the blitz package the Colts ran on fourth down yesterday?

The last team in the world who you would think would videotape an opponent would be the Patriots. What it reveals is more of Belichick's paranoia than anything else.

What he did was cast a needless shadow over the accomplishments of his team and organization. It raises questions on the legitimacy of everything they've won.

Kind of like being caught red-handed with steroids like Rafael Palmero.

Without fail, every NFL player or ex-player who was asked whether or not it would be an advantage to know the defense's signals replied it would be a huge advantage. If you could look over and know that your opponent was signaling a corner blitz, all you would have to do would be roll you blocking scheme that way and adjust your route to take advantage of the gap. It may make an advantage on just one play, but just one play sometimes is all the advantage you need. You don't think the Titans would've like to have known in advance the blitz package the Colts ran on fourth down yesterday?

The last team in the world who you would think would videotape an opponent would be the Patriots. What it reveals is more of Belichick's paranoia than anything else.

What he did was cast a needless shadow over the accomplishments of his team and organization. It raises questions on the legitimacy of everything they've won.

Kind of like being caught red-handed with steroids like Rafael Palmero.

You said it exactly right. Great post!