Question?

chasanooga

I need some help from you referees out there as well as soccer gurus (mjuhb?)

I recently watched a game where team A has a player go down due to injury and team B continues to play on until the referee notices that there is a player down. Now the player on Team A was at the center line (midfield, if this matters) and team B apparently does not notice that there is a player down. Team B has possession (at their opponents 20 if this matters) at the time that the whistle is blown. How is the ball to be put back into play?

Thanks in advance

I recently watched a game where team A has a player go down due to injury and team B continues to play on until the referee notices that there is a player down. Now the player on Team A was at the center line (midfield, if this matters) and team B apparently does not notice that there is a player down. Team B has possession (at their opponents 20 if this matters) at the time that the whistle is blown. How is the ball to be put back into play?

Thanks in advance

i've seen in those situations a hockey type faceoff or dropball

Thanks in advance

I believe that according to Law 8 (Restarts) it is considered a drop ball situation and restart will occur at the spot where the ball was at the moment the whistle blew.

Drop Ball Restarts: A drop ball is the residual (catch-all) restart for any situation where the game is stopped and the rules do not specify that a different method (such as a free kick or throw-in) should apply to put ball back into play. In some situations, the rules do specifically call for a drop ball restart, e.g. where the referee has to halt the game while the ball is in play to attend to an injury.

I think that is the basics of it.

i've seen in those situations a hockey type faceoff or dropball

That is what I expected from the referee but he backed up all the girls 10 yards on Team A and gave Team B a free kick from the 20. When I inquired as to why it was a free kick was given he stated that since team B was in control of the ball when play was stopped they then got the free kick. I had never seen that before. It was also close enough to the goal where it created a real scoring opportunity for team B (luckily for us it was off frame).

The follow up question is this:

Was this a blown call from the referee or is there a rule in place (possession or something else), to allow a free kick to be given to a team on a re-start ; when no foul was called?

Thanks

Blown call that could have changed the outcome of a game. Luckily it was not on frame as you stated.

In High School the rule is that when play is stopped for an injury with one team in "clear possession" of the ball, play is to be restarted at the spot the ball was when the whistle was blown with the team that was in possession by an indirect (not direct) kick. A drop ball is for only when the ref cannot determine clear possession by either team and again at the location where the ball was when the whistle was blown.

In High School the rule is that when play is stopped for an injury with one team in "clear possession" of the ball, play is to be restarted at the spot the ball was when the whistle was blown with the team that was in possession by an indirect (not direct) kick. A drop ball is for only when the ref cannot determine clear possession by either team and again at the location where the ball was when the whistle was blown.

i agree with the above. In thinking about it, the rule was changed two years ago from drop ball descretion to team in 'clear possession" starting play with the restart. I was at the officials meeting and they went over it. It seemed a little confusing then at the meeting and im sure it confuses everyone now. There was something weird even about where the ball is restarted from. It didnt seem to logical but there is definitely a High School rule that gives a re-start in this instance to the team with the ball. I wish i could remember more or was more clear. Maybe I should look it up since i coach, but i dont know most of the rules except handball and out of bounds.

If that is the case then they should go back to the old rule, back when I played. Then it was if the injured player was not in immediate danger and away from the play then let play continue till a natural stopage or a 50/50 opportunity arises. Don't take away the natural attack. I think re-starting with an indirect kick gives a great advantage to the team in possession. Or go by the unwritten rule and the team in possession kick it out when you notice the other team has an injured player.

Anyway, I am glad Whitey brought this to our attention about the rule change. I don't coach high school, but I bet some others didn't know this either.

This is how it was played in one of our games. The ref said we had been in possession and gave us an indirect kick.

Thanks in advance

the ref. can stop play if there is no scorring chance, and the restart is a indirect kick for the team in possession of the ball (high school rule only) if team b has a scoreing chance whistle should not be blown until advantage is lost. If injury is sevire ref can stop play .

the ref. can stop play if there is no scorring chance, and the restart is a indirect kick for the team in possession of the ball (high school rule only) if team b has a scoreing chance whistle should not be blown until advantage is lost. If injury is sevire ref can stop play .

The IFK in HS (National Federation) for the team in clear posession is the correct response. Kudos to all who knew that. We must try as referees to sort out which is which. Often fans, coaches, players who cross-play school, competetive, it is often what they see the most. One other rule nuance is the throw in. If the ball doesnt come in, it goes the other way only in HS. In my competetive, HS, adult amateur and college matches, its usually some rule nuance one must keep straight. It gets difficult when one calls different games on the same day.