Best Summer Teams

TNT

I here alot about Teams that go nowhere,been nowhere and are only playing local tournaments only. If you are going to be a BIG DOG play with them. Theres only two teams in the whole state of Tennessee that that can say there a BIG DOG and thats this years 16u NIGHTHAWKS and the 18u FIREBIRDS. These teams play from the East Coast to the West Coast and can play with anybody. Both teams are loaded with talent and ready to play anyone anytime anywhere. There is only type of softball and thats A.S.A.if your teams are playing anything else n.s.a., pony,or any of the other thousand abbreviated classes dont call us we"ll call you.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only two teams in the entire state of Tennessee? I know of at least 3 other teams that played coast to coast in 2002. 18u "Gold" Frost Falcons, 18u "Gold" Tennessee Outlaws, 18u "A" White Lightning from Powell. And I know for a fact that at least 2 of these teams are doing so again in 2003. Of course, none of these teams are from Nashville and I feel that is probably why you made the statement, because you don't know anything about them. Besides, there are a lot of teams in the state of Tn and for me or anyone to claim that these were the only teams to travel coast to coast would be making an assumption that would be pure speculation, since I don't think you or I know every team's schedule.

I have heard of these other teams but just because you put GOLD infront of your name does'nt mean your a competitive team. Being able to compete and win consitantly every weekend is what I am talking about. Going to A.S.A. Nationals every year not every two or three and othter teams and coaches knowing of your team "White Lighting" of Powell Tn.????????

Strikethree, I agree with you on some points but others I do not. I agree with you on "putting gold in front of your teams name doesn't mean jack", your right. For example, and maybe I'm missinformed on this but I was told that the TN Outlaws only qualified for gold nationals because they went to a qualifier and no one else showed up so WHALA they get to go to gold nationals. I was also told that not only did they not win a single game (pool play or elimination) but they got spanked like a red headed step child. NOw don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk down on them, they probably could have done very well at ASA A Nationals but they obviously ahd no business at gold. I also agree with you on the Nighthawks, they seem to go to ASA Nationals year after year and have a strong showing even without a stacked team (although I hear that they stacked 'em up like pancakes for this up coming summer). However, when you say that the Firebirds play coast to coast you must be talking about east coast to east coast. If I'm not mistaken this last summer was there first ever trip to ASA Nationals. I'm not trying to knock them either because they do have a little talent. Another team who seems to make a valiant effort to play in ASA Nationals is TE Elite. I think they have had several top twenty finishes and have beat some of the top five California teams (they have a lot of talent). JMO

First of all, I don't coach the White Lighning. The Outlaws did go to Nationals and lost all four. Did't get beat like a red-headed stepchild. The team went to nationals without two of their best pitchers, third base, 2nd base, and right fielder. Only had seven team members/ 5 starters and had to pick-up to have enough to go. Also, they had a winning record against Gold teams from across the country, beating some good teams from Arizona, California and Tx. Frost Falcons went to Nationals and lost all 4. The team also had to take pick-ups as some of the girls couldn't go. The Falcons were also very competitive while in Oklahoma. They didn't have a winning record against Gold teams. Both of these teams went for the benefit of the girls that could go, even though neither could take THEIR team to compete!White Lighning didn't get to go to nationals even though they qualified. Their coach didn't want to pick up other players, so they didn't go! That team did well as they played in some exposure tournaments, which tend to pull a lot of good teams. All three of these teams were good when all of their players were there, but all three had the same problem at the end of the season, college girls wanting a life at the end of summer before school started back!

Of course, as you say, anyone can put "Gold" on their name and it doesn't mean they are better than "A", but you don't see many willing to put Gold in their name either! Could it be because winning is more important than competition?

Of course, this is JMHO!

Gold is a step up no doubt, not only in talent but formost in commitment. We have players in the area with a lot of talent but to have multiple teams of 10 to 12 players committed only to fastpitch in this area is rare. There are too many 2 and 3 sport athletes who do not specialize. Too many of the top position players actually see softball as secondary. Some of the best position players I had played softball as a secondary sport and ultimately stopped playing competitive summerball at 17. In the southwest and northwest this is not true. We did not send a gold caliber team to the nationals this past summer. Parker Eagles had the talent but were restricted by college commitments from going to the Nationals. And when you look at Parker they are a regional based team with players from Chattanooga and Nashville. In 2001 there 7 registered in the four state region of Tennessee, Georgia, South and North Carolina. Five received natioinal berths in the 74 team field. Two top 15 finishers and 2 top 25 finishes. Respectable and a little lucky. If we ever expect to compete in this arena there has to be a movement by the top athletes to committ to softball as the only sport. Now is that what we want or better yet is that what we are going to get out of the athletes? I think not. We will continue to field a 1997 Nashville Eagles caliber team every ten years but we will never have 6-7 high level teams in the upper crust every year. Too much roundball, volleyball and soccer.

I am sure I have struck a nerve or two so bring it on. Let me hear what you think.

O.K. sftblcoach, you wrote that the Frost Falcons lost all four of their games just like the TN Outlaws did. So what? The Frost Falcons didn't have any more business there than the TN Outlaws. What's you point? Then you wrote that the Outlaws went without two of their best pitchers, third base, second base, and right fielder. It sounds like either the whole team quit or half the players were not very serious about playing ball which confirms my understanding that this was not a gold team. I mean isn't gold supposed to be for the most dedicated athletes. And as for the excuse that some of them were college players and they wanted their summer THEN WHY WERE THEY THEIR IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!! It sonds like they left all the younger players out to dry by quiting on them at the last minute. I'm sorry but these are not the type of athletes that make up true gold teams. Wouldn't you agree that these teams would have got more exposure had they went to 18A Nationals. At least they could have stayed in the tournament long enough for the college coaches to get checked into their rooms. And last but not least you wrote "you don't see many willing to put gold in their name either! Could it be because winning is more important than competition?" No, I don't think that's it at all. I think the 18A teams are a little more realistic about what their teams capabilities are, unlike the Outlaws, Falcons, Lightning, etc. I have a 9 year old that plays on a 10u team. Their not going to go play 14u just because it's better competition. JMO

STD, I agree with you on some things but others I do not. It makes sense that if an athlete specializes in one particular sport she will be a much sounder player than the player who only spends 1/4 of her time to the sport. However, if you look at some of the web sites of the the best gold teams in the country you will find that many of their players are two and three sport athletes. But I do agree with you about the players around here (especially position players) that they put softball on the back burner. California has a bit of an advantage with population, but if you look at the number of quality gold teams that they put out compared to Tennessee I think it all averages out in terms of population. It has to, we didn't even send a quality gold team last year! What I mean by this is let's say for example (and these numbers aren't correct) that California has a population of 15 million people. Well they definitely send 15 quality gold teams to Nationals each year (not to mention all the teams that they send to 18A they could play gold). Now on the other hand let's say that Tennessee has a population of 5 million. We definitely don't send 5 quality gold teams. Like you said STD, we send one every ten years. The numbers average out, population is really not the problem at all. Why can't we at least send one quality gold team every year? I think the main problem is the lack of knowledgeable coaches. Let's not kid ourselves here, what else could it be? Finding a good fastpitch softball coach in Tennessee is like searching for strawberies in a pumpkin patch. No offense to the good ones out there because there are one or two. Way too many pitcher daddy's coaching. Too many drunk redneck fans that keep up with their own daughters batting averages. Too many parents that seem to have all the time in the world when it comes to telling you how good their daughter is. Too many people who think having a travel team means driving to Chattanooga every other weekend. Too many people that want to teach what they learned when they played slow pitch. I know, idiotic parents are every where, but we seem to be a bit more saturated with them than most places. Good fastpitch softball coaches are hard to come by, especially east of the Mississippi, if you have one hold on to him/her for dear life.

the falcons and outlaws won berths by DEFAULT and at lesat the mustangs new better,wich isnt a knock but can you practice and or play in tn.365 days a year? it makes a difference inside a gym vs dirt comon quit kidding yourselves it is a solid team and a LUCKY draw that will get you top 20 but any higher, talent pool is there coaches are there. but time in the dirt means alot

strikeone and corndawg,

y'all have got to be kidding about the nighthawks and firebirds. no teams in tennessee in the last 7-8 years

have played more NSA than these two. when people think

of the NSA in tennessee, they think of the nighthawks and

firebirds. their names are synonymous with NSA, they may

have started to play a little ASA recently, but it don't

change their NSA history. so, I would not be so snobbish

about playing ASA now, and looking down on everyone else,

when you look at where you come from.

;)

Hey Fpfanatic you must be from east tn. capital of N.S.A and you dont know as much about the Nighthawks as you think. The NIGHTHAWKS did start out playing alot of N.S.A. in there early years but we were smart enough to stop and play real softball. The NIGHTHAWKS dont have any trouble finding players because they find the NIGHTHAWKS and over the next three years we will show all of Tennesse what the GOLD means infront of your teams name!!!!!! They will also do with alot of 2and3 sport athletes and i do mean ATHLETES..

Sounds like a ego trip to me. must be the only team your daughter can play for. if they are so good , why do they have so many players to quit ever year. and these two teams havta to start over with half a roster ever year. Talk to some of the blues.[ umpires]. they will tell you that the nighthawks have some of the most rude coaches . Al they want to do is win reguardless of the efect it has on the girls. If they go to big tourmant they think it is ok to pick up another player and sit the ones that got you there. Maybe that is the reason they have so many to quit. I have hear about the guy that started the nighthawk organization. Aso have watched him coach, The way he did some of his players, well iam glad my daughter was not playing for him. I taught her more respect than that. O yes i was playing this sport when most of the parents of the girls were 2nd grade. This is addressed to strikthree on your comment about the nighthawks, also firebirds

[Edited by catchman on 12-4-02 5:10P]

[Edited by catchman on 12-4-02 5:12P]