Rankings Week 5

mjuhb

when do we find out the matchups for a/aa state regarding which regions play which in the quarters?

I'd love to know that also. I'd hate to see it like it was last year that the top 3 teams in A/AA were all on one side of the bracket. I can remember discussing with some others that while it would have been hard to do, we would have been better off to intentionally lose in the Regional final (assuming you could still win sectionals, etc), and flip to the other side of the bracket.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to know that also. I'd hate to see it like it was last year that the top 3 teams in A/AA were all on one side of the bracket. I can remember discussing with some others that while it would have been hard to do, we would have been better off to intentionally lose in the Regional final (assuming you could still win sectionals, etc), and flip to the other side of the bracket.

I understand your angst....it is not always easy to turn a team off and on like that though...nor should you have to....as I have mentioned a seeding for the top 4 or 8 would help!

I understand your angst....it is not always easy to turn a team off and on like that though...nor should you have to....as I have mentioned a seeding for the top 4 or 8 would help!

Won't happen. To hard to seed. Who seeds it? Do you base it on record, and if so, who decides the difficulty of the schedule? You can't do it based on Eurosport poll, because that is coach based. Then it is all up to subjectivity. A blind draw is the only way they are going to do it. Yes, it stinks when #1, 2, and 3 are on the same side of the bracket. People talk about losing the regions "on purpose" to get an easier draw, but I can tell you that ANY team that has the merit to win state, could never lose on purpose. When CAK lost to Catholic in the Region finals, we were crushed at the loss (it was our third to them that season alone by only 1 goal) but it just so happened that we had an "easier" bracket in the state tournament (if you can say that CCS and CPA are "easy" which I would argue is not the case). Looking back, I can say that I would have rather lost that game and won the last one, but I can't ever say that we even thought for a moment to play less than our best (which would also be a great disrespect to Catholic as well)

The TSSAA has since changed the rule that the drawing for state will not be done until AFTER region finals are complete, so that teams cannot "lose on purpose". This was discussed at our last TSSAA coaches meeting. I don't know if they are going to start that with the boys' season, or the girls.

After sectionals are all done, why not seed the 8 teams that go to state based on how they finished in the prior year state tournament. The first year might be off a little but then it could start making more sense. In other words your earn your seeding for the next year based on how you finish the current year, kind of like reigning champs. All the same teams obviously may not be at quarterfinals the next year, but if you are "returning" at least you get some type of "rank".

Hey, work with this idea all you soccer guru's !!!!!!!! But of course, it won't happen . . . just wishful thinking.

The occasional apparent unfairness of the brackets gives us all another reminder that life is not always "fair". Might this be another virtue of competition; that we must deal with "unfairness" [an offsides is not called or called incorrectly, a key player is hurt in the 60th minute, etc.] as best we can? Might this be a good lesson for the young ladies?

The occasional apparent unfairness of the brackets gives us all another reminder that life is not always "fair". Might this be another virtue of competition; that we must deal with "unfairness" [an offsides is not called or called incorrectly, a key player is hurt in the 60th minute, etc.] as best we can? Might this be a good lesson for the young ladies?

If it is truly random, then I guess I can live with it. I wonder, though, if it is really assigned randomly, or if somebody chooses. Is this random draw done is a public forum, or behind closed doors (almost sounds like a conspiracy theory?!!??!)

that really wasn't my point .....I think any of them might and will possibly need to go on a 3-0 run.....my point is that all 4 of these teams are so close that I doubt that any one of them could play any of the others and sweep them 3 games. We all know soccer and close teams are subject to so many variables.....injury, PK, bad calls, missed offsides, etc. can swing a win for any of these against the other!

seeding the top 4 or 8 teams would be good for the playoffs....maybe not good for the publics...at least in AA/A

I know we can't do it but seeding the teams into the playoffs and then some sort of 2 loss requirement to out you from the tournament would be an interesting format....having 2 great teams beat each other up in the quarter and then have a weaker team knock them out when they are worn down does not necessarily give you the "best team" but the format is what it is......so the best we can hope for is the TSSAA gets the best teams bracketed to meet later rather than early????

I agree Flash. I know it won't happen and would mean too many games but, it would be nice to set it up like a club tournament. Take the 8 teams and put them into brackets of 4. Play a round robin on a 3 point system and the top 2 teams from each bracket advance to the semi-finals and play cross bracket 1 vs 2. Then winners meet in the final.

Having said all of that I realize it would be a week long tournament and too much school would be missed. There is something to be said also for having to bring your A game or go home also.

I like the way you think! Untold stories that I have witnessed of young ladies being better prepared for life off the pitch by the adversities that they faced on and around the pitch.

I agree Flash. I know it won't happen and would mean too many games but, it would be nice to set it up like a club tournament. Take the 8 teams and put them into brackets of 4. Play a round robin on a 3 point system and the top 2 teams from each bracket advance to the semi-finals and play cross bracket 1 vs 2. Then winners meet in the final.

Having said all of that I realize it would be a week long tournament and too much school would be missed. There is something to be said also for having to bring your A game or go home also.

The kids who travel miss almost a week of school....as soccer grows (both boys and girls) that type of format should win some consideration....my guess is a seeding might be able to be worked out but (and I know this is always an issue and there is a separate place to discuss) there would probably have to be a set number of public school slots guaranteed in seeding.....once that happens then the seeding isn't seeding. It's all just "spitballing" and this is my last year to have a dog in the hunt.....at least until grandchildren...after this year I'll just be a somewhat interested spectator! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />