Be careful for what you ask for...You might get it.

wizard

Ultimately, the Publics will get exactly what they want: The Privates will leave the TSSAA and form their own organization. This will happen and it is only a matter of time. People who are more intelligent than me are thinking through the challenges of making this happen.

What will this mean for the privates? Well, it will mean a few years of transition and potentially more travel. Tactically, it will be difficult. Strategically it is a win. The privates will no longer have to be under the thumb of a dictatorial mob run by a board stacked with public school lackeys. Privates will no longer have to adhere to the draconian policies created by a bunch of misfits most of whom have no business regulating high-school athletics or even a Mapco Express. Will all of the privates recruit? No, there will likely be a classification for privates who won't recruit because it 1) doesn't go along with that particular school's mission or 2) it is not in the budget.

What will it mean for publics? A short-term victory and bragging rights. More significant will be the loss of great athletes in high school. Remember, transfer rules won't apply. So if an athlete looks great as a sophomore in a public high school setting, he can quickly be lured to a private school without having to sit out a year. I can see the private school coaches attending public school games and talking with parents during the game. This is indeed a win for the privates. The TSSAA will be powerless in this situation. "Please do something! Elite Private Academy keeps stealing all of our players." "I'm sorry there is nothing we can do."

What will it mean for the TSSAA? In addition to a significant loss of power, the TSSAA stands to lose 15% - 20% of its revenue much of which is collected during the playoffs. On the upside, the TSSAA will be able to cut staff becuase they won't have nearly as many "investigations" to conduct since we all know that privates are the only ones who cheat.

What will it mean for coacht? Not much other than this forum will be deleted.

Be careful for what you ask for, you might just actually get it.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way (at least IMO) that privates split off into their own state-wide entity is if there is some sort of move to send all private schools to D2 AND, on top of that, no one in D1 will agree to play them in the regular season. If this happens over a long period of time, then I agree....your scenario is on the table.

I have certainly made the argument in the past that if the TSSAA leadership and rank and file members of d1 treat d2 schools the way they have for most of this decade, then yes, the schools in D2 are getting nothing from the TSSAA and thus are foolish for continuing to fund the organization with dues, gate %, etc. It was particulary galling that the metro Nashville teams, with whom MBA and Father Ryan had long histories, and for whom MBA and FR consistently brought the biggest gates, came up with some sort of "secret agreement" not to schedule any private schools during the regular season.

However, if this year is any indication, then all of that is fading into the past. MBA, BA, and FR all had multiple games with top D1 opponents this year. Travel was kept to a minimum, and great games have been played.

The sticking point, imo, is simply playing regular season games. No titles are at stake. No one is being robbed of anything from the private schools. If the D1 teams keep playing the D2 teams during the regular season, then there is no reason for any sort of permanent split.

I have heard some fairly inteligent talk in the past about the national high school athletic association only recognizing one official association from each state which has some effect on insurance.

Seems like someone in the past said that it is not possible to have two associations in one state but I could be wrong.

The only way (at least IMO) that privates split off into their own state-wide entity is if there is some sort of move to send all private schools to D2

There was a move to force all privates to D2. It is often referred to as the 1.8 multiplier which is the most outrageous multiplier in the entire nation.

I have heard some fairly inteligent talk in the past about the national high school athletic association only recognizing one official association from each state which has some effect on insurance."

While the insurance issue could be a minor issue for private schools, there is nothing to prevent a new association from governing playoffs for private schools. Just like AAU teams get insurance for players, either the new association or the private schools themselves could get the insurance. AAU insurance for travel players is actually quite reasonable. So it is not that big of an issue. It may be true that the association you are referring to would not recognize a private association, but that alone couldn't stop privates from exercising their.........freedom.

Why do you think they would automatically start recruiting? Wouldn't that be against each school's mission?

For some, yes. But for the existing DII schools, there is a one year period that a transfer has to sit out. If the "recruiting" DII schools left the TSSAA, it is open game. They can recruit even more and lure out public school athletes immediately because they no longer have to abide by the 1 year transfer rule that forces transfers to sit out of sports for one year.

For instance, many middle schools are not members of the TSSAA. This in essense allows middle school athletes to move at will without having to sit out a year. If private high schools are no longer members of TSSAA, there is no one governing this unless a new governing body enforces this among private schools. However, the new governing body would likely implement a one year transfer rule for athletes who already go to those private schools making it difficult for MBA to steal a player from Father Ryan. But I doubt this "new governing body" would enforce the rule for public school students wanting to go private.

I have heard some fairly inteligent talk in the past about the national high school athletic association only recognizing one official association from each state which has some effect on insurance.

Seems like someone in the past said that it is not possible to have two associations in one state but I could be wrong.

Although I'm not an expert, I don't think that sanctioning is really an issue. There are several states with multiple organizations - some purely public/private, some parochial, some 8 man leagues, etc. Also, like any other national sanctioning body they are not the only game in town - I know there are at least 2 others albeit much smaller.

Without researching your previous posts, I'm assuming you are a public school

supporter.

They can recruit even more and lure out public school athletes immediately

What evidence do you have the privates want to form their own association? How can they actually make

it happen?

For some, yes. But for the existing DII schools, there is a one year period that a transfer has to sit out. If the "recruiting" DII schools left the TSSAA, it is open game. They can recruit even more and lure out public school athletes immediately because they no longer have to abide by the 1 year transfer rule that forces transfers to sit out of sports for one year.

For instance, many middle schools are not members of the TSSAA. This in essense allows middle school athletes to move at will without having to sit out a year. If private high schools are no longer members of TSSAA, there is no one governing this unless a new governing body enforces this among private schools. However, the new governing body would likely implement a one year transfer rule for athletes who already go to those private schools making it difficult for MBA to steal a player from Father Ryan. But I doubt this "new governing body" would enforce the rule for public school students wanting to go private.

Stan,

I have not heard from any coach that the private schools are now looking to form their own association. However, it would be very easy for them to do this. You have prep schools in New Jersey, NH, MA, PA and other states that are members of "prep school associations" and they compete against the local public schools during the regular season. Most of the catholic schools compete for state championships (look @ Cincinnati) against the public schools while the prep schools compete in the national prep school tournaments in various sports.

it would be very easy for them to do this. You have prep schools in New Jersey, NH, MA, PA and other states that are members of "prep school associations" and they compete against the local public schools during the regular season.

It would be very easy to do this. It takes a few bright people and a little money.

Funding: The money saved by not having to pay the TSSAA is significant enough to hire a few lawyers to put together a charter and put together a board comprised of maybe 9 board members voted in by the participating schools.

Local sponsors could easily be identified who could help with championship game support.

For the record, I'm actually a private supportor. I have heard rumblings from people at various private schools about their current relationship with TSSAA. They have no represenation on the TSSAA board and are treated as such.

I think it would be bad for high school athletics, but if the TSSAA doesn't change its tune, I think the split is inevitable. In the long term, I believe it will hurt publics more than privates due to 1) $, 2) lost players to recruiting 3) loss of rivalries, 4) potentially loss of good coaches who will get frustrated coaching for public schools only to see their best players get stolen when they are sophomores or juniors.