Solution to private debate!?

I think the TSSAA should try to work toward a system that allows all schools to compete together. Let private schools offer financial aid. This aid is to be strictly for academic purposes.Afterall, that is what school is for. Any student who recieves any financial aid, must a have scored at a certain level (very, very high) on a standardized test to be eligible to play sports. Let`s say they get a really high score, then they could play any sport. Then say they get a high score, but not as good as above, let them be eligible to play only one sport. This would eliminate all the paranoia about giving financial aid to kids just because they can play sports well.

Then let`s allow big city magnate schools to continue to get kids from all over the city. (standard operating procedure)

That`s a nutshell, but a good place to start.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just1np, are you sure about that financial aid? I thought it was a lot more than that.

I think there should be a total split. The whole reason private schools exist is because people want to have a CHOICE. I think if a public school isn't good enough for you then you should live with the consequences of your CHOICE!

I don't understand why people are "to good" to attend the public school for which they are zoned, but insist on playing the public schools. Its like attending one church and insisting that you have a say in another.

phish...where do you get the notion that kids who go to private schools are "too good" to go to a public school. Geez man....Parent`s make choices for where they think their child would get the best opportunity. Sometimes this choice is a private school. Sometimes this choice is a public school. Yes public school is a choice for a lot of people. Some people decide to educate their kids at school. Thank the Lord that we live in a country where we are free to make choices. Nobody in this country is forced to attend a public school.

VG... would you be willing to live by a good old fashioned democratic vote? Let's allow every high school in Tennessee to have one vote each... and we'll see what happens? Then each parent can't look at the matter and decide where they want to send their kids!

Vote??? come on ELA, give me a break. Just because something is popular doesn't make it right. If you gave a vote to the schools, sure all the public schools would vote out privates. Then, of course, they'd be surprised to find themselves still losing to all the good public programs.

If you put it up to a vote, you could vote in a complete ban on publics playing privates all together. I think you know that. Is that what you want? What is your real goal here ELA? Is it to do what is right? Is it to screw over the privates you seem to hate so much? Are you motivated for what is best for you, your team, football in general? What is you motive here? What is your real goal? To win? Kicking out privates won't do that automatically. Is your goal to make things as easy for public schools as possible? What does that teach the kids?

Your whole argument has been reduced to a popularity contest. Come on, isn't it time to realize all this split talk is garbage discused by people who are only out for themselves and could care less about football, the kids, or anything other than themselves.

[Edited by panfan on 6/1/02 3:41P]

VOTE???? Here`s how TSSAA votes go ELA. All the public schools do is get together to vote an all "public" board of directors for the TSSAA. They in turn get themselves into the Brentwood Academy mess. That`s what happens when you let all those public schools steer the boat. You want talk about fair do you??? How come when the TSSAA handed down their decision on Brentwood Academy, there was not one person on the board that had a voice for private schools. It was an all public board. Is that fair ELA?

There are so many misconceptions about Private schools, parents, and kids, its sad...There are alot of parents whose kids go to private schools, yet can barely make ends meet in terms of college...sometimes you guys think its just paradise or something...and NO it is an all public school forum, the way private schools are represented is not very equitable in my opinion.

Amen EGO...That was a short post, but it really said a lot. People see a good athlete at a private school and think how unfair it is for him to be going to a "private school". They don`t see his/her younger brother or sister that may not be a good athlete. Not only are many of these parent`s paying for one kid, but most often it is 2 or 3. It`s not a bed of roses. It`s a lot of sacrifice and love for so many families.

Gotta give you a good mark on that one.

just1np...There are comments made on here about private schools that are false generalizations. It`s difficult know sometimes if it is a 16 year old that makes the statement or a 50 year old. When you see a statement on here that says private schools recruit all over the state, then that is a general misconception. There may be some that do, (I know a few that are boarding schools or at least were at one time), but overall that is a false statement. I don`t even like the term "recruit" because it is used too much in references to athletics when the truth is that why would these schools need to spend money to advertise if all they have to do is go out and handpick who they want to come to school. So many here seem to think all they do is go out and find the ones they need to play sports and win championships. That is so far from the truth. Unlike public schools which are funded by the government. private schools have to fund everything by themselves. They have bills and debts to pay. They don`t turn down good students just because they can`t play football. Those bills must be paid and it is tuition that pays them. So I doubt you`ll see many private schools send away a qualified student because they can`t play sports.They can`t make good athletes come to a school. Some have nice sports facilities to offer and that may be an incentive for some, but for the main part, they are limited to families who have the means and the only the ones who apply. Then there is the general misconception that all private school kids are snobs.Totally false. Snobs come in all shapes, sizes, colors, rich or poor, public or private. It burns me up to see that generalization. My child had the opportunity to attend a private school but chose to stay in public. I hardly think that had he chose to attend a private school that that would make him a snob. Believe me, public schools are full of snobs just like there are snobs at private schools as well. That being said there are a lot of outstanding young people who attend both private and public schools.That`s a few of the misconceptions that I have seen here. I`m not saying that you are the one who said any of them just1np, but you asked.