Solution to private debate!?

The idea of really high test scores is a bad one. Come on Volunteer General!

You want to give financial aid to only those students who have high tests?

Speaking of the other topic -- all the 4A and 5A coaches will have the same problems with privates that 1A and 2A have.

But there should be private school representatives voting on the TSSAA Board. Taxation without representation...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just1NP...I don't think you understand where I live...I live in East Memphis and my parents felt it would not be good for me to attend a public school...some of them are very nice (like germantown or white station) but some of them aren't as great...Public schools in Memphis and Public schools in the rest of the state are quite different, Most schools in Memphis do a poor job of teaching kids, and until last year weren't air conditioned so kids only went to school for half a day...I would have to go to Ridgeway, which is a nice school don't get me wrong, but my brother and I probably wouldn't have made their basketball team and I wouldn't have had the oppurtunity to start on the football team if I went there, many parents send their kids to private schoools for different reasons IN THE CITY OF MEMPHIS!

1-EDUCATION

2-STAY OUT OF TROUBLE

3-RELIGIOUS

4-LOCATION (I live within 2 miles of MUS, BCS, CBHS, and Lausanne, thats another reason kids go there)

I don't want to make this a racial thing, But I have been to other schools from East TN, THS, Cosby, and they are alot different from public schools in Memphis.

One more thing that I forgot to post..

Just1NP you said that a family was stupid for paying for a high school education over a college education...

When was it ever written that families were responsible for a college education...that responsibility is for the kids themselves, they can get scholarships, grants, or loans...

I have a friend who was told at an early age that his parents were not going to pay for his college, they spent 8K a year to send him to a private school, gave him a car for his birthday, paid for his gas and insurance, but after that he was on his own...that might sound harsh, but thats how life is...fortunately this individual was a great student, an excellent baseball player, and is receiving 41K a year to go to Vanderbilt...

I would like the tickets, please email me at agentTJ6@hotmail.com with your price, thank you.

[Edited by TheEgoHasLanded on 6/2/02 12:52P]

What would be wrong with this?

DIVISION II, 3 classes

Division II-AAA, 10 schools

Christian Brothers 1722

McCallie 1208

Father Ryan 1000

MBA 870

MUS 784

Baylor 607

Notre Dame 582

Briarcrest 556

Lipscomb 513

Brentwood Academy 337

You're right about travel, it's ridiculous for Baylor to have to go to Memphis for a regular season game. So cut out such travel. Have Baylor, for example, play in-town opponents McCallie and Notre Dame in their own region. A Nashville region would be Father Ryan, MBA, Lipscomb, Brentwood Academy and of course a Memphis region would be Christian Brothers, MUS and Briarcrest. Yes, I know one of those has 4 teams but here's the solution. Take the top two teams of each region and then two more 'wild cards' for the playoffs. I'm sure you could compare results and such to match them up quite easily.

Division II-AA schools with 249-495 students (approximately 250-500)

16 teams, 4 teams in a region

ECS 495

Knoxville Catholic 426

Harding Academy 424

Webb 417

St Benedict 413

BGA 393

Goodpasture 377

Donelson Christian 335

Davidson Academy 324

USJ 316

Boyd-Buchanan 305

Ezell-Harding 289

FRA 283

CPA 269

CAK 249

Friendship 249

East Region-Knoxville Webb, Knoxville Catholic, CAK, Boyd-Buchanan

West Region-ECS, Harding Academy, St. Benedict, USJ

Nashville region-BGA, DCA, Ezell-Harding, CPA

Nashville region 2-Goodpasture, Davidson Academy, FRA, Friendship

This one wasn't too hard to figure out at all. The only thing, since there was no good way to cut the Nashville teams, I just started with the largest enrollment and switched back and forth. 2 teams from each region make the playoffs. In one year, one Nashville #2 goes to Chattanooga/Knoxville and the other goes to Memphis, switch it the next year so you won't have a team having to go as far each season possibly.

Division II-Class A

14 teams, 2 regions 4 from each making the playoffs

SBEC 238

Fayette Academy 225

Jackson Christian 223

Columbia Academy 217

SAS 196

Clarksville Academy 180

Memphis Catholic 180

Nashville Christian 170

Lasaunne 156

Bishop Byrne 138

Lighthouse Christian 137

Trinity Christian 131

King's Academy 85

Elliston 74

East: King's Academy, Lighthouse Christian, Nashville Christian, Clarksville Academy, SAS, Columbia Academy

West: Elliston, Trinity Christian, Bishop Byrne, Lausanne, Memphis Catholic, Jackson Christian, Fayette Academy, SBEC

This one was a little trickier and I had to have 6 from one and 8 in another, but that happens with regions now anyway. The travel would be long for King's Academy going to Clarksville, but it would just be once every two years and don't they go to Memphis now?

[Edited by Indian on 6/2/02 2:04P]

Notre Dame would get killed in D2-AAA they were the 5th best team in D2-AA and couldn't compete, especially when Bowman is gone...

CBHS doesn't have 1722, they have about 800 boys, I think the 1722 includes like St. Agnes, and IC...

The D2-AA looks pretty tough all over, if it was played today I would say Harding and USJ would come out of the west...

Ezell and CPA out of the middle

In D2-A it would be Byrne and SBEC or Fayette

Goodpasture and FRA out of the other bracket, but I don't really know anything about them.

And Webb and Boyd out of the east

I like it, and I think it would be pretty tough and exciting, and yes Robman, I like it more then the present format.

just1np,

I do like your plan. I think the privates should have to play in 4a & 5a if they want to stay in division I. Really, I would like to see a total split. If that's not going to happen, then your plan is a reasonable compromise. There is no need for you privates to tell me that we should want to play the best to be the best. If that's true, why don't all of you 1a & 2a privates go play in 4a. The competition is better. You should be able to compete since you have such better coaching and work so much harder.

There are some 1A and 2A private schools that could compete in higher divisions, namely Goodpasture and some others. But it wouldn't be fair to put Lighthouse Christian and others in with schools that have 2,000 students. A total split would be fair for all, Lighthouse currently is in with teams such as Ezell-Harding and CPA, with a three-class Division II with all the privates they'd be in with the smallest currently 1A privates and have a better chance for improving.