Sullivan South @ Daniel Boone

compusatman

Who Wins?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

You wouldn??™t be that lucky Volman. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

"The Curt Phillips Show came to town and made a believer of Jenkins and his Trailblazers, if they needed any convincing." (quote from tricitiessports.com)

Sounds like just another day at the office for Curt (160 out of 213 yards rushing). What else can you say??¦he??™s the MAN!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Well, look who's here!! Did you bow while typing this? I know this is a sarcastic jab at Curt being a one man team and all, but you can get over it. He's the MVP, but he ain't a one man team. You'll see come Nov. Wager?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you? I'm not afraid to say what I think. The defense was terrible. Worse than the Greenville game. Pityful. THS will clean our clock if we play defense like that with them. Disgusting. Against SHHS we played State Championship football. It was evident from the moment we walked on the field to warm up. That would be State Championsip Defense. Last nights defensive effort will get us killed against anybody with a highpowered offense. The score did not tell the tale. That's right...it's not good enough! Not for me. It might be for you. With the offense we have we could go places this year. But not with the defense that was played last night. And #15 was benched because he got smart with the coach in practice? That was a slap on the wrist. And Stacy was a Ranger? Maybe #15 needs to go back through boot camp! Maybe he needs to play JV for a while. Unacceptable! Offense did really good...but not great. To be great you have to produce everytime you get in the red zone. You say they were hot? I don't think so. Maybe you can settle for pretty good. I can't. It would be different if the calibre of our athletes was small but we have big bore talent and they are not producing what they should. Any self-respecting running offense school in the state would have reversed the score on us with the kind of yards Boone slammed down our defenses throat! We won so big because they beat themselves. Curt was on no doubt but even he had some bad throws. WR's played good. Offense played good. BUT NOT GREAT! We have more talented people on this years Rebels squad than anybody in NET. I'm talking numbers. At all skill positions. Therefore we should be making statements. Instead we are making excuses. Nothing but a bunch of gamers. They are going to think they got East in the bag also and East will fool them.

We have the talent and staff to go this year but I'm not sure we have the gumption. You and others will post back that I am beating them down and that's not true. I'm just demanding the best they can be and they are not giving it. Daniel Boone is not Maryville...not anywhere near it and if you will be satisfied with a second round exit then I've got nothing to say to you.

Comp, I understand what you're saying and I couldn't agree with you more. But, you have to remember something. We were playing Boone. You and I knew it and the boys knew it. As much as we'd like for them to be "up" every week, it's hard when you know you're going to beat 'em before you step out on the field. It bit us against Greeneville. We came back strong against Johnson Co. We were a little down on D this week, but a W's a W. Just ask Lloyd Carr at Michigan! Now, I agree, a couple of the teams on our schedule will slip up on us if we're not careful.....ie. East and Tenn High. East scares me more than Tenn High from the aspect of the boys not being ready. I suspect we'll be ready for the Vikings. But, Stacy does need to lay the whip to them more. We haven't reached our potential yet.

Comp, I understand what you're saying and I couldn't agree with you more. But, you have to remember something. We were playing Boone. You and I knew it and the boys knew it. As much as we'd like for them to be "up" every week, it's hard when you know you're going to beat 'em before you step out on the field. It bit us against Greeneville. We came back strong against Johnson Co. We were a little down on D this week, but a W's a W. Just ask Lloyd Carr at Michigan! Now, I agree, a couple of the teams on our schedule will slip up on us if we're not careful.....ie. East and Tenn High. East scares me more than Tenn High from the aspect of the boys not being ready. I suspect we'll be ready for the Vikings. But, Stacy does need to lay the whip to them more. We haven't reached our potential yet.

I highly doubt they came to Boone with the attitude of "we've already won this". If this is the attitude you think they have, they will not be state champs. If they came with the attitude of "we need to play 4 hard quaters to win". That is the attitude of a state champion. For some reason I think they knew they didn't have the game won before they got on the field. I could be wrong, South could be that confident. But if they are, it might backlash them again if they didn't learn their lesson from G'ville.

I'm sick of it. What you said about Wake Forest was true. I've had enough. I'm about to lose my cool. And Curt...maybe Stacy needs to let him sit out this week just so they can see what it's like to play football again. Not a knock on Curt just that they need to step it up. It's like each week they get worse. I'm so tired of hearing the one man show routine I could juke. I mean they know what they can do they just don't give a rats tail. Bunch of spoiled brats. I saw Coach Hilton lose his cool in practice...I wish he would go off on them. It's a good thing I'm not a coach because there would be some sparks flying. And you got these people on here thinking we did awesome. They are great fans and all but they don't have a clue. If I were Curt I'd be sick to my stomach. I'm mad...I'm disgusted...I guess I'll go work for a while and try to cool off. It's just that the red carpet is rolled out...all they got to do is walk down it. Incredible.

/ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> Wow!

Comp, it does seem, from looking at the stats that the Rebels need work on stopping the run. Wasn't at the Boone game. Taking in account how GreenEville ran well, Johnson County ran well, and Boone ran well, I have a couple of things that need to be looked at. D-line keeping O-line off linebackers? When I saw the Rebs, seemed they have a problem containing the ends (GreenEville), whether in a 5man front or 4man front. The linebackers, when they come up to line like a DE, are shooting around the corner and getting ran by. Containment. Just a couple of observations.

Also, as far as #15 goes, ALL HE NEEDS IS THE BALL. This kid is a stud and if he were in a different system like a Science Hill, DB, or GreenEville, he may be leading the conference in rushing. Let's remember that running the Shotgun, the RB is 5 to 7 yards deep when he gets the ball. The blocking must be dead-on when running from the Shotgun. How about that "T-formation" I heard about? Need to quit the platooning at RB. #15 should be getting at least 15-20 carries a game. Quit splitting the carries. Give the kid a break.

I think some college team will get a steal out of #15 in a couple of years. Big upside.

By the way, #10 returning kicks scares me.

/ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> Wow!

Comp, it does seem, from looking at the stats that the Rebels need work on stopping the run. Wasn't at the Boone game. Taking in account how GreenEville ran well, Johnson County ran well, and Boone ran well, I have a couple of things that need to be looked at. D-line keeping O-line off linebackers? When I saw the Rebs, seemed they have a problem containing the ends (GreenEville), whether in a 5man front or 4man front. The linebackers, when they come up to line like a DE, are shooting around the corner and getting ran by. Containment. Just a couple of observations.

Also, as far as #15 goes, ALL HE NEEDS IS THE BALL. This kid is a stud and if he were in a different system like a Science Hill, DB, or GreenEville, he may be leading the conference in rushing. Let's remember that running the Shotgun, the RB is 5 to 7 yards deep when he gets the ball. The blocking must be dead-on when running from the Shotgun. How about that "T-formation" I heard about? Need to quit the platooning at RB. #15 should be getting at least 15-20 carries a game. Quit splitting the carries. Give the kid a break.

I think some college team will get a steal out of #15 in a couple of years. Big upside.

By the way, #10 returning kicks scares me.

Pudding...you can't win a state championship giving up 180 yds. rushing to one RB. Any team that can't win the game with those numbers is making monumental mistakes. 'Boone made monumental mistakes. Take Curt away and we lose that game...in the current mindset.

The thing about #15, #44, or #35 getting the ball is that it takes a few carries to get your step...to get your groove...to get the feel of the defense. Those carries need to be back to back. When a weakness is found or a seam that can be exploited or a vunerable LB then that is the spot. Random running plays are just shooting into the tundra. No intelligent forethought associated. When a RB breaks 10 or 15...give it to him again. His blood starts pumping and all he sees is the endzone. That is not how we run the ball. When it is 3rd and 2 then give it to the FB and expect him to punch it through instead to let Curt do it. Yes, statistically Curt succeeds but it does not build the confidence in the running game that sooner or later will be needed. Anyway, that is another story. My beef is with the defense. It's not if they can do it...it's when will they do it.

We played pretty good and we won handily...so I should be happy and proud of them. I am disappointed because we are capable of so much more. Once they are gone they will look back and think, "We could have gone further". There's no need for such lamenting. They have what it takes with all the right parts and pieces...they are just playing mediocre'. I will not be satisfied until we are playing 110%. That would be the effort they put forth against the Hilltoppers. So the proof is there. Just waiting on them to show up. It's a head game...a mental method. Nothing more nothing less. But then that is 90% of this game. I'm not preaching anything you don't understand and agree with...I'm just frothing at the mouth like a rabid dog. It is so easy to talk about it. It's another thing to inspire it to come to pass. I do believe Stacy and Sam can again build that level of intensity that they manufactured in week 0. I live for that wave. Rebel Nation

Comp, I agree that Souths defense is in trouble. If one is looking to just have fun and enjoy a few wins playing football for South then I guess one would be satisfied with where we are. But I agree with you! This is a year and the time for South to make it all the way but like you said the Rebs have got to be hungry for it! Instead it appears that the whole team is buying into the one man show thing and in the end, this will kill us! (Again, nothing taken away from Curt he is playing his heart out!) As far as the defensive line, I heard from a friend that the coaches have told them not to worry about making tackles that it's up to the linebackers to make tackles. If this is true, it might explain how "timid" the line is playing! The rebs have size and tons of ability and they should be using it, ALL OF IT! Agreed that improvement on D will be imperative to pull off a win against anyone in the playoffs. Hopefully instead of looking back and saying we should have, I hope they will reignite that fire they began the season with and look back saying "WE DID IT"! Plenty of season left for this to happen! GO REBS!!

Comp, I agree that Souths defense is in trouble. If one is looking to just have fun and enjoy a few wins playing football for South then I guess one would be satisfied with where we are. But I agree with you! This is a year and the time for South to make it all the way but like you said the Rebs have got to be hungry for it! Instead it appears that the whole team is buying into the one man show thing and in the end, this will kill us! (Again, nothing taken away from Curt he is playing his heart out!) As far as the defensive line, I heard from a friend that the coaches have told them not to worry about making tackles that it's up to the linebackers to make tackles. If this is true, it might explain how "timid" the line is playing! The rebs have size and tons of ability and they should be using it, ALL OF IT! Agreed that improvement on D will be imperative to pull off a win against anyone in the playoffs. Hopefully instead of looking back and saying we should have, I hope they will reignite that fire they began the season with and look back saying "WE DID IT"! Plenty of season left for this to happen! GO REBS!!

I mean, the more Curt makes it a one man show the more the team believes, "Hey, don't worry...he'll take care of it". OMG! Nobody is posting it but I guarantee you most fans feel this way. I'm worried. But, the only hope I have is that the coaches will (can?) get them back in the week 0 state of mind. I was at practice during week 0. It was AWESOME! I was at practice last week...it was pathetic. You know there's an old saying,"You're never too old for a whippin'". Well, from what I've seen in practice Stacy needs to take them out behind the woodshed! I think part of the problem is that they really don't believe in their heart they have a chance at a state championship. I recall talking to some of them the night before the Science Hill game and when I asked, "Can you do this?" They said, "I don't know they got Soloman." Well after the first play they quickly realized that they ate the same cornbread that he did! They look around themselves and Curt is the only one doing anything and they start to think they maybe aren't as good as they thought. They need a reality check...before Friday. I must say that I believe Coach Hilton and Coach Weston are teaching the right things. This is not a coach issue it is a player issue. Which in the end is a coach issue anyway but I think you understand what I'm saying.

You always know the words that will shut me up. And maybe we haven't. We've got until October 12 to start reaching it. After that...we're in trouble.

I mean, the more Curt makes it a one man show the more the team believes, "Hey, don't worry...he'll take care of it". OMG! Nobody is posting it but I guarantee you most fans feel this way. I'm worried. But, the only hope I have is that the coaches will (can?) get them back in the week 0 state of mind. I was at practice during week 0. It was AWESOME! I was at practice last week...it was pathetic. You know there's an old saying,"You're never too old for a whippin'". Well, from what I've seen in practice Stacy needs to take them out behind the woodshed! I think part of the problem is that they really don't believe in their heart they have a chance at a state championship. I recall talking to some of them the night before the Science Hill game and when I asked, "Can you do this?" They said, "I don't know they got Soloman." Well after the first play they quickly realized that they ate the same cornbread that he did! They look around themselves and Curt is the only one doing anything and they start to think they maybe aren't as good as they thought. They need a reality check...before Friday. I must say that I believe Coach Hilton and Coach Weston are teaching the right things. This is not a coach issue it is a player issue. Which in the end is a coach issue anyway but I think you understand what I'm saying.

Exactly! The problem here is that the media, fans, and coaches have and (continue to) promote one player and not the TEAM. Preseason I heard a parent say "there won't be anyone on this team other than Curt this season." With his talents and ability it is easy to accept. Unfortunately I believe it is evident that the team has bought into this as well. There are several other players who have potential to play at the next level seniors AND juniors (although maybe not D 1) but apparently that's just not good enough for anyone to talk about. Whenever we bring the focus back to TEAM and not on individuals the Rebs will bring it. I think it is a confidence issue for many. When our starters truly accept Curts leadership and determination to win (not for themselves but for the TEAM) we will see results! Enabling confidence among the TEAM will be up to the coaches!

Exactly! The problem here is that the media, fans, and coaches have and (continue to) promote one player and not the TEAM. Preseason I heard a parent say "there won't be anyone on this team other than Curt this season." With his talents and ability it is easy to accept. Unfortunately I believe it is evident that the team has bought into this as well. There are several other players who have potential to play at the next level seniors AND juniors (although maybe not D 1) but apparently that's just not good enough for anyone to talk about. Whenever we bring the focus back to TEAM and not on individuals the Rebs will bring it. I think it is a confidence issue for many. When our starters truly accept Curts leadership and determination to win (not for themselves but for the TEAM) we will see results! Enabling confidence among the TEAM will be up to the coaches!

Exactly! You know it's wonderful that Curt has this special ability. It's exciting to watch. But, little by little the confidence of the supporting cast is erroding. And they feel less and less important. Ultimately, they will give up because their efforts will be wasted. I see evidence of this now. The week 0 TEAM effort was astounding! With the resolve of that week we could beat anyone...anyone. We have to get that TEAM back.

Someone tell me why the head coach comes out on the football field and gets all over the ref when his team is up by three touchdowns? Just asking, no sarcasm, just looking for an answer.

Alot of talk in the posts about South players not giving it their all and playing as well as they can, so this was a message by the coach that he will "fight" for them--showing alot of emotion, hoping they will get meaner and fight for themselves.