MBA vs Ensworth High

whoisjeff

Is it wrong for me to compare Jefferson and Orleans from Ensworth to Gordan and the other guy (cant remember his name). Because the way I see it, if MBA can shut down them with the o-line and qb that hillsboro had, than it seems to me that the Ensworth will go the same way (considering they are a 1-D offense). But i could be worng here I have not seen any of the guys mentioned here play but just a thought.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit that I am very interested in what's going on at Ensworth. The whole idea that they would hire away one of the better coaches in the area (RB) from one of the elite private schools in the country and essentially give him a blank check to build an athletic powerhouse from the ground up peaks my interest to say the least. Their facilities are the best I have ever seen at the high school level. They are obviously aggresively pursuing athletes. I do NOT mean illegal recruiting. To have such a competitive athletic program only 4 years into your schools existance means you have brought in some athletes. They have an excellent coaching staff--many of which were lured away from other local schools (MBA, BA, CPA, etc). They have everything in place to build a powerhouse football program (and be very competitive in other sports as well).

But I do get the feeling that Ensworth fans are getting carried away at their first taste of success. I'm sure Bowers is keeping the players level headed, as any good coach would do. Without having seen either team play it's tough to make much of an analysis, but from what I've read and heard I think that MBA will win this game. McGugin better get it done. I know his 1st year is off to a great start, but he can not lose this game to a 1st year varsity program. B/c they are both run oriented teams my guess is it won't be high scoring. But I don't think Ensworth can stop MBA offensively. The big red are too big, strong, and physical for them and will slowly move the ball all night. Offensively, Ensworth may manage a couple of scores, but MBA is good enough to make adjustments and contain them. If they can contain Hillsboro who have div. I prospects at QB & RB, then they can certainly contain (if not shut down) Ensworth.

24-10, MBA

I'll be rooting for Ensworth but I'd need to get at least 14 points to bet on them. Even without Bailey, I think MBA is just too big, strong and athletic up front. Everybody has talked about their offensive line, which is very good, but I think their defensive front, especially Cole and Bubis, is even better. The wild card is Ensworth's speed and elusivness. Jefferson and Opu Darkwa are special-- both are threats to take it to the house every time they touch the ball. Seward from Hillsboro is the only kid MBA has seen who compares. It'll be interesting to see how Bowers tries to get them the ball in the open field. I don't see Ensworth knocking MBA off the ball and giving them much room to run up the middle. On the other hand, if MBA can drive the ball 10, 12, 14 plays at a time (and they may be able to), then it will be a long night for Ensworth-- particularly because they are not deep and their defense will get tired.

Here's my prediction-- MBA kicks off, Ensworth gets one first down and punts-- Leathers doesn't kick it too far (another problem for Ensworth, MBA's kicking game is better all around)-- MBA goes 65 yards in 12 plays to lead 7-0. Ensworth breaks a couple of 10-15 yard gains throwing flares to Jefferson and running Jefferson as an option QB (think Oklahoma wishbone from the 80's) but they stall and turn it over. The teams exchange punts, MBA tries to throw with little success, MBA d-line just clogs things up when Ensworth has the ball. Early in Q2, MBA goes 70+ yards in 10-12 plays and leads 14-0. Before halftime, Ensworth either gets Jefferson or Darkwa loose or catches MBA paying too much attention to them and gets a pass from Ballard (underrated arm) for a big play TD. Halftime score 14-7 MBA. MBA drives the 2d half kickoff 75 yards in 15 plays to lead 21-7. Ensworth gets 2 1st downs and stalls, short punt. MBA goes for the kill, Wise underthrows a long pass and Jefferson intercepts. Darkwa gets around the corner and goes 54yds for a TD , 21-14 at the end of Q3. Ensworth's defensive front guys start to wear down in Q4, MBA keeps the ball for 9:30 of the quarter and either scores 2 TDs to win 35-14, a TD and a FG to win 31-14, or Ensworth rises to the occaison and makes them turn it over on downs deep in EHS territory on 1 drive and they win 28-14. I like the last scenario best-- so that's my call, MBA 28 Ensworth 14.

And remember, MBA has 25 or 30 seniors (out of a class of 100+ boys) , Ensworth has 11, only some of whom play much (out of roughly 40 boys in a senior class of 80). Their biggest lineman, Lehman (one of the seniors), is out for the year with a broken ankle suffered in practice before the McCallie game. Most of the guys making plays for Ensworth will be 10th and 11th graders (and Rodney Anderson, a 9th grader, may have more potential than the rest of them put together) I can tell you that the McCallie coaches were not happy to hear how young Ensworth is when the chain crew told them about it--- all 5 TDs and most of the big defensive plays in that game were by underclassmen. The 9th grade has 124 kids. My point is, I think this will be a fine game, not a classic, but a fine game. Sometime during the next few years, however, these two teams will put on a real classic, one that the people who see it will never forget.

Despite all the bias posts being put on here(most of them worthless) the MBA, EHS game should be one of the best this season. Both teams have their strengths and weaknesses and both teams will come ready to play. The most important factor in this game is who will want it more and both teams have reasons to get the them pumped up. I'm personally very excited and hopeful to see a great game Friday.

P.S. You can't make predictions yet because both teams are excellent and despite their differences they are fairly evenly matched. Also, stop all the posts about which school is richer or which has more residents in Belle Meade.

The fact that this game is even being talked about is crazy. When Ensworth decided to add grades 9-12 no one (including myself) thought that they would be able to compete with the better teams in D2 this soon. The fact that they are able to not only compete but win is a tribute to their players, coaching staff and adminstration. MBA, BA, Father Ryan and the rest of the D2 need to understand that in the future Ensworth is only going to get better with each senior class. My prediction is that within five years you will see Ensworth become one of the top 25 teams in the nation. I have never seen a high school so dedicated to being successful in everything.

Despite all the bias posts being put on here(most of them worthless) the MBA, EHS game should be one of the best this season. Both teams have their strengths and weaknesses and both teams will come ready to play. The most important factor in this game is who will want it more and both teams have reasons to get the them pumped up. I'm personally very excited and hopeful to see a great game Friday.

P.S. You can't make predictions yet because both teams are excellent and despite their differences they are fairly evenly matched. Also, stop all the posts about which school is richer or which has more residents in Belle Meade. Y'all are both ridiculously ###### rich.

Yep, this money/rich talk is really foolish and misguided. EVERY private school in the area has some wealthy parents. EVERY one of them. And most that come to mind right now, have added new facilites in the last year or two (MBA, Harpeth Hall, Brentwood Academy, Ensworth). To get mired in this stuff cheapens the fun of anticipating this game. Both schools have many really good students and athletes, coaching, etc. MBA ought to be a favorite, but EHS has the tools to surpise them. I learned from my playing days years ago, to shut up and just go out and play and try to take care of business. Parents, too, ought to keep it togetehr and not be "inflamatory" or cocky (both sides). Be proud of your kids, and root hard. Respect the winners and losers, both for their hard work. Corny, I know.