MBA-Brentwood Academy

YamRocks

no excuses but MBA could have blown EHS out of the house if McGugin wanted to deviate from the gameplan which was obviously get a lead, get every second off that clock as possible and hand it over to the states best defense. Also MBA did drop their starting RB, QB, and LT in that game so I dont think you can say all that much.

For the game tonight, I enjoyed it because I like defense but for those who said BA's passing offense has matured throughout the season... HOW??????? BA's offense needs to step it up. I liked the Tate kid though

Jeff,

FYI, I am an MBA fan and alumnus.

I also am a big fan of BA, because I like the way they play the game.

Injuries aside, Ensworth was in the game with us to the very end. We did not "control" the line of scrimmage against them like I thought we should have. In order to "blow someone out", one must dominate the line of scrimmage. Ensworth displayed great discipline, pad control, and gap control. Our backs weren't running wide open through gapping holes. We played well enough to win that game, but that is about it. The injuries were really unfortunate for us, but good teams find a way to win in the face of adversity, which MBA did. I do believe we have a good team, but Ensworth, BA, and Ryan are right there with us.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to the Big Red. I'll take this loss as long as we can return the favor in the playoffs!

I think it's safe to say this is easily the most exciting season in DII since the league was created in 1997. I don't think any honest pundit can differentiate much right now between BA, MBA, Ensworth, and Ryan...it should be a very intriguing race. It always hurts to lose to MBA, but I still feel good about this BA team, if it can concoct a balanced offense.

Can any of these teams stay on the field with Maryville? They are ranked in the top 15 in the nation and show no signs of weakness. What's your opinion?

Ole Dad

Congrats to the Big Red. I'll take this loss as long as we can return the favor in the playoffs!

I think it's safe to say this is easily the most exciting season in DII since the league was created in 1997. I don't think any honest pundit can differentiate much right now between BA, MBA, Ensworth, and Ryan...it should be a very intriguing race. It always hurts to lose to MBA, but I still feel good about this BA team, if it can concoct a balanced offense.

to all you guys who calle me crazy when I told you that BA's DLine was overrated, stink on that one, they simply could not take it for the entire game and wore down late. THATS RIGHT BA, YOU LOST, NENENENENENE HAHAHAHAHAHA

This board was a lot more fun before the children found it.BA's defensive line played a very good game, and MBA did not wear them down. They had a 32 yard touchdown drive, and that took them 9 plays. They kicked two field goals that were very long by high school standards. That's the difference.The implication here is that if BA controls field position to any extent at all, like forcing you to start your drives at your own 30 (which is not at all out of the question), you have to be nearly perfect to score a touchdown. If MBA had needed a 70 yard TD drive, how many plays would it take? No idea, as they couldn't do it last night.If you've seen enough games and understand the game at all (two standards by which those in 3rd period study all come up woefully short), you know that a clash of two juggernauts is many things, but "pretty" usually isn't one of them. They force one another into mistakes, they shut one another's strengths down. The Asians say, "The courage of your enemies does you honor." Everybody "got honored" last night. Another old military saying..."heck hath no fury like a non-combatant." The kids who play (or the "old kids" who played) don't post the taunting nonsense that's plagued this thread, and made the MBA-Ensworth thread downright embarrassing.MBA honored 32 seniors last night in a grand way. BA? Frighteningly, it seemed that every time one of their players did something well, and the radio announcers identified him, it began with "Junior...." or "Sophomore...." That scares me.

Can any of these teams stay on the field with Maryville? They are ranked in the top 15 in the nation and show no signs of weakness. What's your opinion?Ole Dad

No idea...but if you can get it arranged, I'll drive up from Ft. Lauderdale to see it...and pick you up on the way.

Can any of these teams stay on the field with Maryville? They are ranked in the top 15 in the nation and show no signs of weakness. What's your opinion?

Ole Dad

We will never know because in the past Maryville has refused to play any of the big D2 schools. See what you can do and I will fly in from down here is South Florida.

This was a dogfight like always, but I think the better team right now won. Jordan didn't play, but Crum and Waddey are out for MBA so no excuses. Great to see the division wide open again...Should be a fantastic playoff.

BA is the best team that MBA has played this season. Kudos to them. The are talented and well coached. Hillsboro was the most explosive. They have the best backfield with Seward and Gordon. Those are, by far, the two most explosive backs the Big Red has faced this year. Yes, Crum won't return until next season, but Waddey will be back for the playoffs, which will be a significant boost for MBA's running game.

An observation about McGugin. He reminds me, in his game management, of Jeff Fisher. MBA has such a stifling defense that once he gets a lead, he plays offense very close to the vest. The only game in which MBA has had to play from behind this year was the Hillsboro game. In the 2nd half, down 12-3, McGugin opened up the field with the passing game, scoring the first TD on a 25-yard pass play to the TE, Sloan. On the next drive he mixed pass and run well and Bartholomew scored on a 15-yard romp up the middle. That gave MBA the lead 17-12 and he went back into a shell where he pounds the middle, running down the clock. The QB comes to the line, watches the back judge and when he begins counting down the last five seconds of the play clock, Wise starts the play. He did the same thing last night.

In addition, I thought that MBA's timing in their passing game was off last night. Also, some of Wise's throws were uncharacteristically high. (Wise is an accurate passer; unusually so off the roll-out.) Part of that was due to BA's defense and part of it was due to the fact that Wise did not practice all week i.e. he had no reps with the receivers due to an injury. Kudos to Wise; he's a gamer. His play has been overlooked in this thread. BA's passing game was non-existent last night. (Independence, with its QB, Bender, threw for nearly 400 yards on MBA, mostly in the 4th qtr. after MBA was up 31-7.) The size and physicality of BA's D-line was my biggest concern going into this game. That is the strength of BA's team. But MBA's line coach (James Counce) has done an excellent job of developing a unit that plays with cohesion. They were able to gain the upper hand at the line of scrimmage in the first half and neutralize BA's D-line play for much of the second half, enough to win. McGugin is playing to his strength, which is the defense.

Last Monday, I predicted MBA-20 BA-14 with MBA's Fletcher kicking two field goals. Each team scored one less TD than expected, but Fletcher came through with a 48-yarder and a 43-yarder. Again, McGugin knew what he had in Fletcher and in his defense, so he seems to feel why throw the ball all over the yard, especially when Wise had not taken a snap all week!

I have tried to keep perspective, and have consistently told people that this year's BA team is not as good as last year's state champs...at least not yet. You can beat the "good" teams with a one dimensional offense and a solid defense, but if you make too many mistakes, a well coached and talented team like MBA will make you pay.

Simply put, MBA was the better team. I hate losing to MBA as much as anyone, but have great admiration for their program. See you in the playoffs, I hope.

I agree with you itzme, BA has won all year with outstanding defense but an offense that is still a work in progress. Running game is good, but passing is sporadic. Cody Nelson has protected the football well all year, and tonight's interception in the first half was one of the few he has thrown all year. He has completed about 60% of his passes, mostly short possession type routes, but he continues to overthrow open receivers downfield (Jackson Boyd and Josh Pleasant tonight) and hestitates and holds on to the ball a little long in the pocket. I like him as our QB, and he will continue to develop and be a great one. Just a Soph in a new, complicated offensive.

I am pleasantly surprised we are 7-1 after this schedule, and am not discouraged. We have BGA, which we should win, and then an open week to get better, and CJ can get that ankle healed. We beat MBA in a rematch, if we get one. Penalties tonight put us in 3rd and long, not a good down for us, and 4 fumbles (even though we recovered all of them) just kills momentum, a snap over Cody's head deep in our territory created a short field for MBA which they took advantage of. Our D played very well...adequate offensive production and fewer mistakes swings this game to BA.

All that being said, MBA is very, very good, and talented, and very well coached. They were the better team tonight, and their play had a lot to do with our mistakes! MBA is a class school and program, I loved the atomosphere there tonight.

This board was a lot more fun before the children found it.BA's defensive line played a very good game, and MBA did not wear them down. They had a 32 yard touchdown drive, and that took them 9 plays. They kicked two field goals that were very long by high school standards. That's the difference.The implication here is that if BA controls field position to any extent at all, like forcing you to start your drives at your own 30 (which is not at all out of the question), you have to be nearly perfect to score a touchdown. If MBA had needed a 70 yard TD drive, how many plays would it take? No idea, as they couldn't do it last night.If you've seen enough games and understand the game at all (two standards by which those in 3rd period study all come up woefully short), you know that a clash of two juggernauts is many things, but "pretty" usually isn't one of them. They force one another into mistakes, they shut one another's strengths down. The Asians say, "The courage of your enemies does you honor." Everybody "got honored" last night. Another old military saying..."heck hath no fury like a non-combatant." The kids who play (or the "old kids" who played) don't post the taunting nonsense that's plagued this thread, and made the MBA-Ensworth thread downright embarrassing.MBA honored 32 seniors last night in a grand way. BA? Frighteningly, it seemed that every time one of their players did something well, and the radio announcers identified him, it began with "Junior...." or "Sophomore...." That scares me.No idea...but if you can get it arranged, I'll drive up from Ft. Lauderdale to see it...and pick you up on the way.

I took notice of the 32 Sr's...BA has a roster with 41 Jr/Sr, and 53 Fr/Soph, with the majority of starters being underclassmen...next few years look good!

I noticed our offense on several formations and observed two sophomores and a freshmen in the backfield and two freshmen lined up as receivers. I thought then, that we would have to play well to have a chance. That did not happen. Even without the mistakes we would/will need better QB play to have a chance.

MBA played with much more poise and their offensive line did an incredible job. I was shocked how safe the QB was every time. Chris Jordan will not change the results unless we can throw the ball better. With a tough defense like MBA, we will have to complete a couple of those bombs when we had the secondary burnt. It will be tough with or without Chris Jordan to sustain too many drives.

Given all of the short fields, our defense played as well as can be expected. It would have been nice to get to the QB a little more, but that was not a deficiency of our line as much as a proficiency of the MBA offensive line (IMO).

I noticed our offense on several formations and observed two sophomores and a freshmen in the backfield and two freshmen lined up as receivers. I thought then, that we would have to play well to have a chance. That did not happen. Even without the mistakes we would/will need better QB play to have a chance.

MBA played with much more poise and their offensive line did an incredible job. I was shocked how safe the QB was every time. Chris Jordan will not change the results unless we can throw the ball better. With a tough defense like MBA, we will have to complete a couple of those bombs when we had the secondary burnt. It will be tough with or without Chris Jordan to sustain too many drives.

Given all of the short fields, our defense played as well as can be expected. It would have been nice to get to the QB a little more, but that was not a deficiency of our line as much as a proficiency of the MBA offensive line (IMO).

Listetning to the game on the radio, I came away with the impression that BA's defensive line was everything they were billed to be. As much as I love good football, I'd just as soon MBA not see BA again this season.

Ole Dad

For someone with some years on them , Ole Dad can really act childish at times . Maryville had nothing to do with this game , but you couldn't resist tempting some MBA & BA fans to take shots at Maryville . Thanks to MOST of the MBA & BA fans for not falling for Ole dad's childish games .

Congrats to both teams on what sounded like a very evenly matched game . Both defense's are apparently ahead of the offenses right now . To Brandon and the other BA fans , sometimes a loss is better than a win in the long run , and I'm sure these 2 teams will meet again .