MBA-Brentwood Academy

YamRocks

I was surprised by BA's defense last night. How did JP II, who has not won a game this season, score so many points against BA? Don't get me wrong, BA whooped up on JP II, but JP II scored some points that they shouldn't have given their record. They were even tied at 7-7 during the first quarter...

BA really did not play very well defensively, IMO. Not sure if they took JP2 lightly, or were looking ahead, let down after they got a lead, or were thinking about the homecoming dance tonight, but they were not sharp. Give JP2 credit...there scores were not flukes at all. The Eagles' D will have to be much better and more consistent against MBA to give themselves a chance of winning.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was surprised by BA's defense last night. How did JP II, who has not won a game this season, score so many points against BA? Don't get me wrong, BA whooped up on JP II, but JP II scored some points that they shouldn't have given their record. They were even tied at 7-7 during the first quarter...

My take was as follows. Regardless of record, JP2 executed some offensive plays very well. Also, our defense did not show the same intensity that I have seen in some past games. They seemed to be going through the motions without the fire in the belly that I saw the previous week. I sure hope that was a temporary thing.

BA really did not play very well defensively, IMO. Not sure if they took JP2 lightly, or were looking ahead, let down after they got a lead, or were thinking about the homecoming dance tonight, but they were not sharp. Give JP2 credit...there scores were not flukes at all. The Eagles' D will have to be much better and more consistent against MBA to give themselves a chance of winning.

Funny, I was typing at about the same time as you and our takes were pretty similar. "Great minds..."

My take was as follows. Regardless of record, JP2 executed some offensive plays very well. Also, our defense did not show the same intensity that I have seen in some past games. They seemed to be going through the motions without the fire in the belly that I saw the previous week. I sure hope that was a temporary thing.Funny, I was typing at about the same time as you and our takes were pretty similar. "Great minds..."

I watched MBA play Ensworth last nite. BA had better come ready to play Friday nite. Bartholomew is tough. Runs similar to his brother, Will from MBA/UT memories......The Vinsang kid is good too.

kind of interesting--I wonder how the two coaches approach this game? Both are first-time head coaches at their respective schools in this rivalry. Both, no doubt, want to win more than their next breath, as do all the players involved (especially MBA's kids, who were thumped by BA last year)....but how far do you go into the playbook for this one, knowing that there is a strong possibility you will face the other team again in the play-offs? I think BA and MBA have played for the D2-aaa title at least 3 times.

MBA cannot just run a vanilla offense against BA and expect to win...but do you lay out everything for this game? Or keep some in reserve in case of a rematch? I think both coaches will keep it somewhat simple and go for the win with guts...

kind of interesting--I wonder how the two coaches approach this game? Both are first-time head coaches at their respective schools in this rivalry. Both, no doubt, want to win more than their next breath, as do all the players involved (especially MBA's kids, who were thumped by BA last year)....but how far do you go into the playbook for this one, knowing that there is a strong possibility you will face the other team again in the play-offs? I think BA and MBA have played for the D2-aaa title at least 3 times.

MBA cannot just run a vanilla offense against BA and expect to win...but do you lay out everything for this game? Or keep some in reserve in case of a rematch? I think both coaches will keep it somewhat simple and go for the win with guts...

I don't know how the brackets work, but I sure hope that it would be in the championship game and not the semi finals.

I think the same vanilla rule goes for BA. I think this game will come down to QB play as the deciding factor.

Trust me, the BA players have focused on MBA for the past 2 weeks. The defense had a bad game, mainly because of a lack of focus. Look for BA's lockdown D to be back in full force next Friday. MBA will struggle to move the ball. BA's defense is looking a lot like this -> /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Both teams stink. This is not a game to be talked about.

Focus on The Father Ryan High School

MBA showed a rather imaginative mix between the run and the pass in a couple of games this season and will have to return to that style against BA IMHO. They like roll-out Wise who showed uncanny accuracy when throwing on the run. Unfortunately, for Wise and MBA, he has an injured leg and limped noticeably against Ensworth. I expect that Colbert will start the BA game and for BA to play with 8 men in the box daring MBA to throw.

Both teams stink. This is not a game to be talked about.Focus on The Father Ryan High School

HA!HA! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> This is a funny post! Glad to see Father Ryan back in the picture though.

I don't know how the brackets work, but I sure hope that it would be in the championship game and not the semi finals.I think the same vanilla rule goes for BA. I think this game will come down to QB play as the deciding factor.

As I saw MBA basically focused on their running game, this may play into the eagles hands...eh.....wings........

Both teams are playing much better than I had anticipated, to tell you the truth. I am very impressed by the job Coach Potter and staff have done with what is, on balance, a very young team. Last night's Ensworth game was the first chance I have had to see MBA play. There really are a lot of similarities between the BA and MBA teams; neither has a true vertical passing attack, both have very strong line play and good running backs, both have stout defenses. MBA seems tohave a better kicking game, and BA needs to get better on kick coverage. BA probably has a bit more depth.

Should be another classic in this rivalry. My guess is that BA squeaks one out, but it's definitely up for grabs. Turnovers or a big special teams play could be the difference.

Lots of very solid teams in DIIAA Middle this year.

Probably the most significant point you make is the one regarding depth. MBA is beginning to stretch theirs with injuries.

This thread, like the MBA-Ensworth thread, would benefit from an adult rating.

After having seen MBA play on Friday I really don't think they have the offense to beat BA. The running game is solid, no doubt about it, but BA's defensive line will make it very difficult for them. I'm sure MBA's passing game has had better days then it did last night b/c it was terrible. But I don't think they have enough juice on offense. They really struggled to move the ball against an Ensworth defense that is not all that good.

I'm sure MBA can also make life difficult for CJ, but BA's passing game has shown tremendous progress since the season started. They are not afraid to throw the ball downfield and can make you pay if you stack the box.

This is going to be a great atmosphere- can't wait!