reclassification in TSSAA - 2009

EaglevilleFan11

I know this a very unpopular attitude. But here goes. I thought it was much more exciting when there were only 3 classifications and only 1 team from each district made the playoffs. The same teams had winning programs then that have truly winning programs now. All this other junk is just a way for schools and TSSAA to make money by sending more teams to the playoffs. It also lowers expectations on players and coaches. The last thing we need is to allow more "opportunity" for more teams to be successful. That only lowers the standard. Football is supposed to teach kids to compete and we need to make sure this continues. Not lessens. I know I am old and this is not a popular school of thought, but at my age I don't care.

Go Warriors!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

according to tssaa.org from 2006 records about 20 .. Im sure it has maybe increased some that were in the 1,700 range ..maybe 4 more ... so probably about 24 .. not enough to have a class 6A ...

It could be adjusted instead of going with every 300 students move it back to 250 per class. that would make about 30 or so in 6A.

I know this a very unpopular attitude. But here goes. I thought it was much more exciting when there were only 3 classifications and only 1 team from each district made the playoffs. The same teams had winning programs then that have truly winning programs now. All this other junk is just a way for schools and TSSAA to make money by sending more teams to the playoffs. It also lowers expectations on players and coaches. The last thing we need is to allow more "opportunity" for more teams to be successful. That only lowers the standard. Football is supposed to teach kids to compete and we need to make sure this continues. Not lessens. I know I am old and this is not a popular school of thought, but at my age I don't care.

Go Warriors!

I disagree. I think it gives more students a better chance to win and be a part of a winning program. Many of the schools that have a football team now wouldn't especially in 1A. Many programs are building now in 1A that wouldn't be able to compete at all in the 3 tier system. More kids on the fields means more kids off the streets.

Here is what it could have been this season if there were two-year classification periods instead of four-year. These enrollments are already a year and a half old and some might be off by a lot. They used these figures for any 2007-2008 changes. Some new teams aren't listed. Private school enrollments are the multiplier count. Fulton, Catholic were barely 4A.

1A

David Brainerd 159

Oakdale 163

Gleason 166

Greenfield 169

Sunbright 179

Zion Christian 187

Temple 191

Pickett County 192

Red Boiling Springs 201

Copper Basin 208

Cloudland 218

Huntland 222

Bruceton 224

Greenback 226

Coalfield 227

Lookout Valley 233

Mt Juliet Christian 243

South Fulton 244

South Pittsburg 247

Clay County 249

Knoxville Grace 250

Clarksville Academy 256

Lake County 258

Midway 268

Cornersville 281

Moore County 286

Silverdale Academy 297

Harriman 301

MTCS 308

Eagleville 310

Columbia Academy 313

Collinwood 324

Westside 326

Chattanooga Grace 326

Nashville Christian 328

McEwen 329

Perry County 336

Wayne County 339

White House Heritage 341

Whitwell 343

Gordonsville 345

Watertown 347

Unaka 348

Jellico 353

West Carroll 354

Jo Byrns School 356

Middleton 356

Manassas 358

McKenzie 382

Halls 383

Mt Pleasant 385

Trinity Christian 385

Union City 391

Friendship Christian 391

North Greene 400

Forrest 402

Huntingdon 407

Peabody 407

Cosby 411

2A

Trousdale 414

Cascade 422

Oneida 424

Houston Co.425

Wartburg 425

Dresden 432

Humboldt 433

East Robertson 436

Richland 441

Adamsville 442

Hampton 443

Decatur Co. Riverside 451

Jackson Christian 452

Rockwood 455

Westside 456

Alcoa 473

Marion Co. 478

Upperman 479

Treadwell 484

Oliver Springs 492

Jackson County 494

South Greene 497

Oakhaven 498

Ezell Harding 502

Franklin Road Academy 502

Westmoreland 507

Meigs County 513

Donelson Christian 515

Tellico Plains 519

Loretto 526

Bledsoe Co. 532

Tyner 536

Lewis County 553

Memphis South Side 557

CPA 558

Chuckey-Doak 568

Polk Co. 569

Happy Valley 576

Milan 577

Sequatchie 578

Gatlinburg-Pittman 588

Camden 605

West Greene 608

Sweetwater 611

Cumberland Gap 618

Boyd-Buchanan 625

Westview 627

Harpeth 627

Carver 632

B. T. Washington 636

Smith Co. 644

Goodpasture 648

Waverly 653

Stewart Co.661

York 668

CAK 671

Frayser 672

Cheatham Co. 672

3A

Cannon Co. 674

Loudon 675

Grundy Co. 676

Kingston 677

USJ 680

Johnson Co. 683

Pearl Cohn 686

Austin-East 702

Sullivan North 703

Chester Co. 706

Scott 741

Gibson Co. 754

Unicoi Co. 754

Pigeon Forge 769

DeKalb County 771

Elizabethton 774

McNairy 775

Crockett County 778

Marshall County 779

Howard 797

McMinn Central 802

Claiborne County 804

Covington 807

Jackson South Side 807

Page 813

Rutledge 814

Macon Co. 820

Greenbrier 821

White House 827

Central-Merry 835

Greeneville 864

Sycamore 865

Bolivar 865

Gibbs 871

East Ridge 875

Spring Hill 875

Obion County 888

Union Co. 888

Sheffield 889

Livingston Academy 889

Carter 896

Ripley 900

Lexington 903

Station Camp 906

Haywood 911

Fayette Ware 911

Stone 920

Montgomery Central 927

Memphis East 939

Sequoyah 943

Mitchell 947

Lipscomb 947

Dyersburg 948

Brainerd 949

Hixson 957

Memphis Northside 960

Giles Co. 967

Creek Wood 971

Springfield 977

I disagree. I think it gives more students a better chance to win and be a part of a winning program. Many of the schools that have a football team now wouldn't especially in 1A. Many programs are building now in 1A that wouldn't be able to compete at all in the 3 tier system. More kids on the fields means more kids off the streets.

Yes, but then the real question becomes are you playing for moral standards or are you playing to build better athletes (and while in building better athletes you also make for a better person, thus also bringing in moral issues). If just anybody gets to compete, then you are giving kids these days the idea that they don't have to do anything to accomplish a goal (in this case the goal is a state championship). I completely agree with warrior4ever

I've heard several rumors about Mt.Pleasant and possibly Collinwood at out Region 6A being moved to a AA status ??

Surely not with the current number of students in place, /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> Unless they were to voluntarily move up which would be program suicide. It might be easier for them to compete in 3A then it would be to try a go at 2A.

That would be interesting. The south end of region 6-2A would have better traveling scenarios. The north end would have to realign though and where would they go? Would that create a 10th region? I think the 5 equally distributed divisions is going to make for more regions in all classes and the playoffs would be more like 2A is this year.

I think in 3A you'll have more than eight regions. Sequatchie (675 right now) and Grundy will likely be in 3A, also around Chattanooga you'll have Howard, East Ridge and if the enrollments listed stay about the same, maybe Brainerd and Hixson. Signal Mountain and East Brainerd are starting high schools, it's just a guess but I'd say SM will start 3A and East Brainerd will start 4A. I'd also guess Chattanooga Christian will start in 2A in football, with about 400 students and going up one class with the multiplier. Notre Dame should be going up to 4A, they would be already but there's a limit of only one move up due to the multiplier at a time. Around Cleveland and Athens you'll still have McMinn Central, Sequoyah, and Polk, Meigs, Tellico Plains if they remain in 3A (they're all 2A enrollment for those that don't know). I'd guess if Loudon is 3A they'd be part of a 3A region in that area.

Go Warriors!

I respect your opinion, but then we would miss the next great cinderella team like the one from Livingston a couple of years ago that entered the playoffs as a fourth seed and a 5-5 record. They of course went on to win the state championship. Lets all hope they improve on what we have instead of going backwards.

Yes, but then the real question becomes are you playing for moral standards or are you playing to build better athletes (and while in building better athletes you also make for a better person, thus also bringing in moral issues). If just anybody gets to compete, then you are giving kids these days the idea that they don't have to do anything to accomplish a goal (in this case the goal is a state championship). I completely agree with warrior4ever

I diagree. The state championships are still hard to come by. At the end there are only 2 of what, 50 or so teams in each division? Building better athletes is not only done by raising the level of competition but by giving more athletes an opportunity to play and develop. Some of the smaller schools have great athletes but would not get a chance if there wasn't a football or sports program.

Go Warriors!

I agree to a point but I think the top 2 teams out of a region should go to the playoffs. 4 teams is a joke in most regions. What LA did a couple of years ago was great but they really should not have even been in the playoffs the season should count for more. Just my opinion