7-AAA 2007-2008

MidTennFootball

1997 was the most talented team we had but just didn't get it done.

97? When Jolly and Gribble were sophomores? Don't agree with that. Even though we could have won the state that year too, but were upset at Brainerd with CJ Black. Cleveland won state that year and we had already gave them a thumping that year. Maybe even twice that year. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Back to back to back would have been sweet.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

97? When Jolly and Gribble were sophomores? Don't agree with that. Even though we could have won the state that year too, but were upset at Brainerd with CJ Black. Cleveland won state that year and we had already gave them a thumping that year. Maybe even twice that year. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

My predictions for Tues. Jan. 8th: Cookeville will upset Blackman on the road by 1. Siegel will rout Warren County on the road by 17. Oakland gets the home win over White County by 4. Lebanon upsets Riverdale with a 3 point road victory. I know !! I picked 3 road wins !! read em and weep !!

Correct me if im wrong, but didnt Oakland pull of a huge upset of White County that ended their postseason. I thought it was the semifinals but maybe it was the finals, because i pretty vividly remember being stunned by Brainerd at the buzzer at Oakland in substate.

96-97

I was thinking that was the year WC lost to Brainerd at Brainerd in the substate. I could be wrong. Really not sure. "sportsfanatic" could tell us for sure. Cleveland won the state that year with Yarbrough and his brother Del Baker. WC did beat them earlier in the season. It could have been 95-96 when WC lost to Brainerd.

I was thinking that was the year WC lost to Brainerd at Brainerd in the substate. I could be wrong. Really not sure. "sportsfanatic" could tell us for sure. Cleveland won the state that year with Yarbrough and his brother Del Baker. WC did beat them earlier in the season. It could have been 95-96 when WC lost to Brainerd.

Im pretty sure it was 96-97 because Oakland lost a ton of great players from the year before for a team that made it to the state final 4. Sparta had beaten them handily in the regular season and at the district tourney. I remember as a kid that it was probably one of the biggest wins I had ever seen Oakland pull off, that White Co team was very good.

1995-96 was the year White County went to Brainerd in the substate and got beat by them. Wasn't really an upset, Brainerd had C.J. Black and Harris Walker. Jolly did start as a freshman this year. The next year 1996-97 was the heartbreaking loss to Oakland by one point in the region semifinals. It still hurts me to talk about it. Yes Oakland was a very young team that year and obviously improved as the year went on. We had beaten them three teams that season. The first game we won 65-48. Then we won 69-59. We only won by four, 66-62, in district semifinals. King and Whited sure did have some dandy games back in the day. I always enjoyed the Oakland/White County rivalry. Two fundamentally sound teams squaring off. Each team has had their share of big wins in the rivalry. As far as Cleveland that year, we (White County) did play them twice and split with them. We won at Sparta 75-61 and they beat us by six, 73-67, at Cleveland. Crazy game that night. There was a power outage and the girls' game was delayed for a long time. Every one had to sit in the gym in the dark. They brought out lanterns for a little light. Cleveland did go on to win the state that year. We did have a very good team that year and I always felt bad for those seniors that year. Hard working bunch of guys who helped build for those two state championships. They took each loss personally. I remember one time after a loss to Lebanon they went back to the gym after the game to shoot later that night, they were so upset. Say what you want about talent and athleticism but the thing that made those teams (97, 98 and 99) so good was their heart and dedication. I witnessed most of it first hand. During the summer, you knew where to find those guys and it was in the gym. Okay, you guys got me started. I'll stop now.

1995-96 was the year White County went to Brainerd in the substate and got beat by them. Wasn't really an upset, Brainerd had C.J. Black and Harris Walker. Jolly did start as a freshman this year. The next year 1996-97 was the heartbreaking loss to Oakland by one point in the region semifinals. It still hurts me to talk about it. Yes Oakland was a very young team that year and obviously improved as the year went on. We had beaten them three teams that season. The first game we won 65-48. Then we won 69-59. We only won by four, 66-62, in district semifinals. King and Whited sure did have some dandy games back in the day. I always enjoyed the Oakland/White County rivalry. Two fundamentally sound teams squaring off. Each team has had their share of big wins in the rivalry. As far as Cleveland that year, we (White County) did play them twice and split with them. We won at Sparta 75-61 and they beat us by six, 73-67, at Cleveland. Crazy game that night. There was a power outage and the girls' game was delayed for a long time. Every one had to sit in the gym in the dark. They brought out lanterns for a little light. Cleveland did go on to win the state that year. We did have a very good team that year and I always felt bad for those seniors that year. Hard working bunch of guys who helped build for those two state championships. They took each loss personally. I remember one time after a loss to Lebanon they went back to the gym after the game to shoot later that night, they were so upset. Say what you want about talent and athleticism but the thing that made those teams (97, 98 and 99) so good was their heart and dedication. I witnessed most of it first hand. During the summer, you knew where to find those guys and it was in the gym. Okay, you guys got me started. I'll stop now.

Thanks. I'm sure you have most of those stats and games on paper. All I'm using is memory. I was a year off. lol /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />