Brentwood Academy

Solomon

I agree with you. I would've said BA. I would probably say BA right now because it is the best school. Down here Memphis you would look like a fool if you told someone the best school to go to was a public school. Its not recruiting if you tell someone the best school in the area and it happens to be, um the best school in the area.

I agree with you hsbaseballfan. No one in their right mind, when asked, would refer someone to send their child to a Memphis City School. If someones asks a question about which school to send their child to, that is NOT recruiting. However, when you have coaches call families at home and asking them to send their athletic child to their school to play a sport and, "not to worry about the tuition", that IS recruiting. I don't have any firsthand knowldge about BA, but I can tell you it happens at Briarcrest. I also wounder how a kid from Airways Jr. High can afford to attend CBHS without a lot of "financial aid"

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you hsbaseballfan. No one in their right mind, when asked, would refer someone to send their child to a Memphis City School. If someones asks a question about which school to send their child to, that is NOT recruiting. However, when you have coaches call families at home and asking them to send their athletic child to their school to play a sport and, "not to worry about the tuition", that IS recruiting. I don't have any firsthand knowldge about BA, but I can tell you it happens at Briarcrest. I also wounder how a kid from Airways Jr. High can afford to attend CBHS without a lot of "financial aid"

I can tell you at CBHS, and I know this first hand, how much you receive in financial aid is not determined by the school or anyone who works for or at the school. It is done by an independent third party that examines a families needs. Its really need based financial aid as opposed to just financial aid. Now if a rich alumni wants to step up and pay the way for a kid (I don't know of any cases like this, but it seems logical) who is to stop him? Fact of the matter is private schools that give aid of any sort are thrown into their own league to keep non aid giving schools happy.

I can tell you at CBHS, and I know this first hand, how much you receive in financial aid is not determined by the school or anyone who works for or at the school. It is done by an independent third party that examines a families needs. Its really need based financial aid as opposed to just financial aid. Now if a rich alumni wants to step up and pay the way for a kid (I don't know of any cases like this, but it seems logical) who is to stop him? Fact of the matter is private schools that give aid of any sort are thrown into their own league to keep non aid giving schools happy.

hsbaseballfan you are right as far as the way financial need is determined. There are a couple of third party agencies that private schools use to determine the level of need. However, your ascertion that "if a rich alumni wants to step and pay the way for a kid" is totally against the TSSAA rules. Let's say for example tuition at a private school is $10,000 per year. A family, an athlete or non-athlete applies for financial aid. The third party agency will determine what level of financial aid they are eligable for using whatever factors they use. Let's further say they determine that family should receive 50% financial aid. The TSSAA rule is that family must pay the other 50% or $5,000 per year. It is against the TSSAA rules for a rich donor to pay that $5,000 for that family. There obviously are ways to get around that, such as the donor makes a donation to the "athletic fund" or the "annual fund drive" and the school then uses that donation for the other half of the tuition. This is based on a conversation with the TSSAA.

It was stated at Briarcrest that no one received 100% financial aid, but I can tell you that the rumor was that there were some heavy hitters that were stroking checks to the school to cover some athletes. Of course they also alwys said they didn't recruit athletes either, which is a joke.

hsbaseballfan you are right as far as the way financial need is determined. There are a couple of third party agencies that private schools use to determine the level of need. However, your ascertion that "if a rich alumni wants to step and pay the way for a kid" is totally against the TSSAA rules. Let's say for example tuition at a private school is $10,000 per year. A family, an athlete or non-athlete applies for financial aid. The third party agency will determine what level of financial aid they are eligable for using whatever factors they use. Let's further say they determine that family should receive 50% financial aid. The TSSAA rule is that family must pay the other 50% or $5,000 per year. It is against the TSSAA rules for a rich donor to pay that $5,000 for that family. There obviously are ways to get around that, such as the donor makes a donation to the "athletic fund" or the "annual fund drive" and the school then uses that donation for the other half of the tuition. This is based on a conversation with the TSSAA.

It was stated at Briarcrest that no one received 100% financial aid, but I can tell you that the rumor was that there were some heavy hitters that were stroking checks to the school to cover some athletes. Of course they also alwys said they didn't recruit athletes either, which is a joke.

I know its illegal for that to happen, but like you said theres so many ways around it its not enforceable. Things like that is why there are two divisions. I'm not blind, I know shady stuff goes on at every school, public or private including CBHS. But to be quite honest, I don't know of any factual cases where any kid at CBHS got a big break. I do know for a fact that there was a very talented pitcher interested in CBHS but didn't get as much financial aid as he wanted, so he went to another school.

What was really amazing was that all the Maryville fans had enough class not to stoop to the level of Brandon100's , and resort to running down the school that he pulls for after his obsessive , bashing posting of Maryville that went on for weeks ....... I just wonder if that makes you just as proud when one of your own goes on his little witch hunt ? I have nothing but respect for Brentwood Academy .... That's why you don't see me , or any other Maryville fans stooping to someone else's level .

Pep, come on man! How could anyone NOT respect Maryville? Brandon and I were having some fun with you guys talking about your schedule and jousting a little. I assure you that we would not sincerely bash Maryville as an institution.

Pep, come on man! How could anyone NOT respect Maryville? Brandon and I were having some fun with you guys talking about your schedule and jousting a little. I assure you that we would not sincerely bash Maryville as an institution.

A little " tweak " here and there between our two programs is quite fun , but carrying on obsessively for 3 or 4 weeks ??

Two of the best programs ever in our state deserves each other's respect ... period .