Brentwood Academy

Solomon

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is amazing. The person that named this thread clearly wanted people to come out and bash BA for ridiculous recruiting rumors. They got the exact opposite. Instead this thread has turned into a plethora of BA history. Well done BA fans you have turned the tables on Coach T yet again.

/wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Very well written, and well said! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> I'll never forget one day in 10th grade playing sick(think I put the thermometer under hot water) at home, and Coach Flatt calling my house. My mom came in the living room while I was watching TV and said Coach Flatt was on the phone and wanted to talk with me....I about fell in the floor. He asked what was wrong, and why I wasn't in school....I said I had "bronchitis"....it was the best thing I could think up quickly......I could tell he was perplexed.....he asked if I could breathe, which I said "yes", then he said, "if you can breathe at home, you can breathe in the classroom.....I expect you at the school in 30 minutes." That was the last day I EVER played hookey. Every morning, he would check attendance rolls to see who was and wasn't at school......I never wanted that phone call AGAIN!

That is a great story ! I can almost feel the panic I would have felt as a 10th grader getting that kind of phone call.

I'll also agree that guys like us, and our kids, are just flatt lucky ( how do you like that pun ! ) to have guys like him in our lives. I think around here, coach Hienz at ECS is another one, as is coach Wright at White Station.

As far as recruiting, I have heard those stories all the way down here in Memphis from way back, and have also noticed that they have never been proved. Also, its not recruiting when families make sacrifices to send their kids to a particular school in order to participate in a sports program.

This is amazing. The person that named this thread clearly wanted people to come out and bash BA for ridiculous recruiting rumors. They got the exact opposite. Instead this thread has turned into a plethora of BA history. Well done BA fans you have turned the tables on Coach T yet again.

What was really amazing was that all the Maryville fans had enough class not to stoop to the level of Brandon100's , and resort to running down the school that he pulls for after his obsessive , bashing posting of Maryville that went on for weeks ....... I just wonder if that makes you just as proud when one of your own goes on his little witch hunt ? I have nothing but respect for Brentwood Academy .... That's why you don't see me , or any other Maryville fans stooping to someone else's level .

Brentwood Academy worked very hard and was very lucky when the school was founded.

Mr. Brown took some great athletes from Oak Hill School & it became a feeder school for BA.

Saint Paul Christian also became a feeder for BA

The city of Brentwood was starting to grow as an upper middle class suburb & they had no high school in Brentwood. It took a good 30+ minutes to reach Franklin on the school bus.

The real estate agents were telling families that BA was the place for their child if they were athletic.

Carlton Flatt was a very good coach and he had Jimmy Gentry among others on his staff.

BA offered financial aid and played in Class A which was not as difficult.

Overton & Hillsboro lost students to BA due to bussing in Metro Nashville.

The alumni from the old Duncan Prep School adopted BA and sent their children to BA along with serving on the Board.

So an assistant coach with no track record with a horrible team comes in and within 4 years has a state title? At a school that at the time wasn't in the same proximity to the number of people that it is today?

How many male students did the school have at this time?

Apparently he wasn't the first coach to have a rapid rise at such a young age...

Vincent Thomas Lombardi was born in New York City. He went to Catholic schools, starring as a fullback on his high school football team. Lombardi attended Fordham University and played guard on the school's football team, part of a line known as the Seven Blocks of Granite. After graduating in 1937 he worked in business for several years while attending law school at night and playing semi-professional football on weekends. Two years later he became a coach and teacher at St. Cecilia's Academy in Englewood, New Jersey. Lombardi coached football, basketball, and baseball at the school during his eight years there, and his football teams won numerous state titles.

Some people just have something special, and C. Flatt is one of those. In those early years, his staff was excellent too. How many people know that Tommy Owen, the legendary coach from MBA, was a member of Carlton's staff in the mid 70's? Coach Jimmy Gentry, Dalton, Bobby Gentry, Coach Huskey, Coach Jacobs (who's there now), et. al., soon followed, and young men (like me) wanted to drive 15 miles to school each day to play for those men. Never was recruited, but sought them out...I was not on scholarship, and my parents made financial sacrifices to provide me a Christian education, and for that I am very grateful. I realize most of the people with the criticism do so more to ignite debate, but until you have experienced the school, and what it was like to play for these men, you will never understand.

With the warped logic that winners must cheat, then Gallatin from the 70's-80's, Riverdale from the 80's-present, Maryville from the 70's-present, Trousdale County (70's-current) must all cheat...obviously I don't buy that, because what all these schools have in abudance is community spirit, dedicated parents, and outstanding coaching. Funny how when a great coach leave, programs slip. Overton was a powerhouse for years (Coutras era) and Gallatin (Calvin Short), but both programs have slipped...coaching makes a difference. Wow, what do you know...Ryan has a newer coach, and now they are winning! BGA has underachieved for years...now, new coach, and they are winning! Ensworth has a new program, and now they are winning! What about the public schools? Ravenwood has a start up school, and in 2 years is a state champion! Why, just go over there...very involved parents, and one of the best coaches around...they certainly don't overwhelm anyone with their athleticism, but you watch them play, they play with heart, and that comes from the top down.

That is why BA became so good so fast, Coach Flatt has heart, and everyone around him believed and did more than they thought they could.

I just finished reading "Blind Side" the story of Michael Oher from inner city Memphis that was brought into the fold at Briarcrest Christian now Ole Miss and coming soon to the NFL. Was there an advantage gained by Briarcrest...looking the other way regarding grades, etc. certainly the answer would be yes. But in the end I have to think that pulling these kids out of a tough situation and giving them a decent educaon and a chance to succeed is better than leaving them in the projects with little or on hope. Point being...what Briarcrest started doing in 2004 was pioneered by Flatt in the 70's.

I too have read The Blind Side, which was mostly true, but some of it was a little distorted. I do believe what Briarcrest did for Michael Oher was a good thing because if he would have stayed in the situation he was in he would be in prison, dead or standing on the street corner at best by now. Briarcrest was recruiting players before Michael Oher came along. They are really into the basketball recruiting business currently.

The problem with recruiting, other than being against the rules, is that when you have families that have paid full tuition since kindergarten and their child has played on the sports teams since the 6th grade and suddenly when they get to the 10th or 11th grade a new "student" shows up from the inner city and takes their place on the team, they tend to get a little upset about it. Everybody wants to win until it effects their child in a negative way. It is a very sensitive situation at Briarcrest and and other private schools as well I would think.

Lastly, I believe there was a long lasting court case involving BA and the TSSAA wherein the courts ruled that the TSSAA could have rules prohibiting recruiting by private schools which was the result of BA recruiting players.

Your silly, I like you man, but your silly.

Allow me to ask you a question: If you were a real estate agent in Brentwood in the mid 70's (Brentwood had no public school) and a client from out of state ask what school had the best football program, what would your response be? When people move and they have a good athlete in their family they seek out the best programs. If you were moving to the East Bay area of California and your son was a good football player would you send them to the local public school or DeLaSalle? This is no different than families that had a great female basketball player moving to Shelbyville so that their daughter could play for the "Little Man"

Allow me to ask you a question: If you were a real estate agent in Brentwood in the mid 70's (Brentwood had no public school) and a client from out of state ask what school had the best football program, what would your response be? When people move and they have a good athlete in their family they seek out the best programs. If you were moving to the East Bay area of California and your son was a good football player would you send them to the local public school or DeLaSalle? This is no different than families that had a great female basketball player moving to Shelbyville so that their daughter could play for the "Little Man"

I agree with you. I would've said BA. I would probably say BA right now because it is the best school. Down here Memphis you would look like a fool if you told someone the best school to go to was a public school. Its not recruiting if you tell someone the best school in the area and it happens to be, um the best school in the area.