Riverdale underclassmen

Govolsknox

No disrespect meant whatsoever, just a sincere question. I have read in an earlier post regarding the Riverdale freshmen team that their level of play is down this year. The poster also commented that Riverdale's freshmen have been down for 3 years in a row now. Is this true and if so what is the problem? What is the outlook for the varsity going forward in future years?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The feeder program at Christiana Middle School isn't sending them fundamentally sound players from what I hear and the freshmen coaches have had their work cut out for them. Also the old HC who was so outstanding left to be the HC at Eagleville a few yrs back and their program suffered a major hit when he left.

Maybe the proverbial talent pool is empty. Hey 2P....who's your daddy?

The feeder program at Christiana Middle School isn't sending them fundamentally sound players from what I hear and the freshmen coaches have had their work cut out for them. Also the old HC who was so outstanding left to be the HC at Eagleville a few yrs back and their program suffered a major hit when he left.

coach thomas came in and had success a few years in a row. i think he might have started with the class of '06 guys if not the class of '07 (which his son scott was on). both those teams mentioned were 5 or 6 win teams. then the '08 freshman came in and were great going 7-1 (winning 7 straight). could have had some more wins but some teams backed out on playing them.

2009 had like a 4 win freshman team (that year thomas moved up to varsity coaching now he coaches in kentucky), but one of their better players BJ Nelson bailed im sure you are familiar with him. other notables from that class are Aaron Ebalarosa, Alex Smithson, CJ Overton. now that i think about it, Dakota Woods was also on that team and bailed the smyrna folk are familiar with him.

dont know anything about this year or last years freshman...last years starting QB is treys backup and will be pretty darn good, and dequinton sherill is supposed to be an awesome back from what i heard

2P i find it hard to blame it on a feeder school prior to christianna we didnt even have one...part of the probalem was last year was basically a waiste we had a jr pro coach coaching the freshman team while he may good on that level he wasnt ready for the high school level this year we have a baseball coach as the head freshman coach i havent seen them play or really heard anything about them so i dont know how good of a job he is doing i do know he is a good baseball coach and good with the kids and is a great guy but i dont know how he is doing

I think some of you will be upset when we keep running things like we always do but i will save that talk for the next year

GO WARRIORS

All I know is that the kids that are our jrs were the first team from OHS to beat Riverdale as freshman in a long time. Our soph bunch beat them too as freshmen. This yrs game got cancelled thanks to Mr. Gill due to heat. I am not sure if they are making it up or not. I also know Siegel's freshmen have beaten them too. We all know that Blackman freshmen that are sophs are undefeated so they beat them. So that group of freshmen that are now sophs lost to all 3 of the Boro teams. When has THAT happened to a Riverdale team? Riverdale has been so successful b/c their freshmen always won, usually were undefeated. That was a bonus for varsity b/c they EXPECTED to win games . The CMS program has been around long enough that they should be doing some winning. RHS is at least lucky that they have their own feeder school. Oakland is the ONLY high school without a feeder school that exclusively feeds to them. It has definitely hurt us.

smyrna beat riverdales freshman to ( despit smyrnas 2 best freshman being on varsity)

central middle is awful this year and have been going down over the past few years

riverdales freshman have not been their usual standard for the past 2 or 3 years

I mean come on after so many years of talent year after years sooner or later it had to slow down some.

however till varsity region teams start beating them it is all a moot point.

but i think even an unbiased riverdale fan would have to say the talent level is down (not depleted but down)compared to teams over the last 10 years.

I've tried to catch the last home freshmen game for the last four years. Caught the Lebanon game last week. I'm not so interested in wins and losses as I am just looking at what the talent pool is. Last years freshmen team was the best one I have seen with a good mix of skill people and linemen/linebackers...several of those guys have played significant minutes this year. I would predict that the 2009-2010 season will be a good one.

This year's team only had a couple of linemen that look like they could push for playing time in the spring but had several nice looking skilll players and a couple LBs. One thing this team did do better than past teams was get sideline to sideline on defense. That has been a rare trait for Riverdale freshmen teams.

One reason for the freshmen's troubles, other than what has already been noted, is that they appear to run only about 4-5 plays. I get the feeling that the goal of the freshmen team is to get many, many repetitions on a very basic skillset.

I noticed in one varsity game this year, during the 2d quarter, that Riverdale had seven underclassmen on the field together on defense. I'm pretty sure seven was the number, I posted something about it at that time. There had been a couple injuries that resulted in that young lineup. I expect Riverdale's defense will be very strong next year...probably better than this year.

Of course, there will be guys that surface after a growth spurt and others that look no better as seniors than they do as freshmen. There were still 60+ freshmen dressed last week. Let's keep them all out and get them coached up.

2P i find it hard to blame it on a feeder school prior to christianna we didnt even have one...part of the probalem was last year was basically a waiste we had a jr pro coach coaching the freshman team while he may good on that level he wasnt ready for the high school level this year we have a baseball coach as the head freshman coach i havent seen them play or really heard anything about them so i dont know how good of a job he is doing i do know he is a good baseball coach and good with the kids and is a great guy but i dont know how he is doing

I think some of you will be upset when we keep running things like we always do but i will save that talk for the next year

GO WARRIORS

Last Year's RHS Freshmen also lost to Wilson Central.

The one things folks are forgetting is that R'dale lets the 'Freshmen' get all the possibility of losing out of their system before they get to actually play varsity football. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Its when they get to playing for the Gold Ball that matters, and they always know how to do that.