Official Mr. Football Thread: 4A & 5A

CoachT

Here is your chance to have input on who the nominees will be for 2007. A lot of media will view this thread but they are looking for assistance as to who to vote for, not who NOT to vote for. In other words, criticism on this thread will carry no weight so please don't bother.

----------------------------

TSSAA:

Forty-five outstanding individuals and their schools are to be recognized along with their parents and coaches at the prestigious Mr. Football Luncheon, scheduled Monday, December 3 for the first time at the Nashville Airport Marriott.

This group is to include three finalists for Mr. Football Lineman of the Year and three finalists for Mr. Football Back of the Year in each classification. There will be three finalists, regardless of classification, for the Mr. Football Kicker of the Year award. They are to be selected via a vote of football coaches and selected members of the media. The winners of the coveted award are to receive the distinguished Mr. Football trophy with the others finalists being presented plaques.

Each of the designated media outlets, of which you are one, is asked to submit the name of up to three players in each classification for the Mr. Football Lineman of the Year Award and the Mr. Football Back of the Year Award. You are also asked to submit three players, regardless of classification, for the Mr. Football Kicker of the Year award. It is not necessary to vote for three players in each category, but that is your option. If you feel an individual player is one of the top three players in both categories, then you may list him in both.

Please keep in mind that Division II is now in two classes (A and AA). Some schools may be in different classes compared to years past, so please be aware of those possible changes when you vote.

In order for your ballot to be counted, it must be received in our office via mail or fax no later than TUESDAY, OCTOBER 30. Please help honor Tennessee's finest by responding today.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

J. Seward should be a frontrunner for Mr. Tennessee as the 4a Back. He is a returning all-state RB whose team features a 4 WR set and throws the ball about 50% of the time. He currently has a scholarship offer from the University of Indiana. Hillsboro has two all-state receivers in Garrett and Gordon (Jr. w/ Tennessee offer) who get the ball quite a bit each game.

5A Back - Sonny Gray. No one player means more to his team than this young man. He is a phenomenal Quarterback and a treat to watch. He is very efficient. He doesn't have gaudy stats like some Running Backs do, but he makes plays.

12 TD's to only 1 int...that actually should have been a td(receiver batted the ball in the air while going in the endzone).

J. Seward should be a frontrunner for Mr. Tennessee as the 4a Back. He is a returning all-state RB whose team features a 4 WR set and throws the ball about 50% of the time. He currently has a scholarship offer from the University of Indiana. Hillsboro has two all-state receivers in Garrett and Gordon (Jr. w/ Tennessee offer) who get the ball quite a bit each game.

I would have to agree with this one based on what I have seen.

Does the Douglas kid from Maryville walk away with the 4A Lineman award? Who are some other deserving linemen?

This thread is certainly a lot of help for media. I always have trouble picking out lineman to vote for so if anyone could help me out that would be great. Also, let's make it legit. Don't suggest good ole' Billy because he's your cousin or because he is your favorite player. I want to know the best linemen that you have seen - either for your team or an opponent. Thanks.

There are many good players in Tennessee who deserve recognition for their fantastic play this season. But, as far as 4A back goes, anyone who has seen Curt Phillips of Sullivan South High School play, knows this is a no-brainer for 4A. I have seen games throughout the state, including championship games five of the past seven years, and quite frankly, Curt Phillips is the best Quarterback I have seen in Tennessee highschool football in at least the past 15 years.

Curt is a 2-time All-State QB. Soon to be 3-time. Through 7 games this season he has passed for 1115 yards with 9 TDs and a pass completion percentage of 62%. Also, through 7 games he has Rushed for 759 Yards and another 16 TDs. Will easily surpass 7,000 total yards for his career. Through 7 games he has accounted for 102 points. He is averaging 34.7 yards per punt return and 1 TD (only one TD because everybody punts away from him).

Unapproved Website has him rated at a 5.7. As defined by Rivals a 5.7 is ---> 5.7-5.5 All-Region Selection; considered among the region's top prospects and among the top 750 or so prospects in the country; high-to-mid-major prospect; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team. Rivals has Phillips as the Top QB in Tennessee and the #9 player overall in the state. Rivals has Phillips as the #9 Dual Threat Quarterback in the entire country. Scout.com Vandymania Tennessee Super 44. Scout.com has Phillips as the #57 Quarterback in the nation, #1 in Tennessee and lists Phillips as a 4-Star player. ESPN Recruit Tracker has Curt as the #19 QB in the Nation and highest ranked back of any kind in Tennessee. Murphy Fair has Phillips both Preseason All-State and United States Army pre-season All-Acedemic Team. Only one of four players on Tom Lemmings 2008 All-American Watch List, and the only back of any kind. One of 400 players nationwide to be nominated for the U.S. Army All-American Bowl played annually in San Antonio. CSTV's Tom Lemming has Phillips as the #10 Dual Threat QB in the Nation describing Phillips as a "Big kid with a strong arm who didn't get a lot of play but looked good in San Antonio at the U.S. Army Combine back in January. Badgers locked him down early." Tee Martin picked Phillips as the top QB at the 2007 Athens Nike Football Camp. Recruit Expert Jim Stefani lists Phillips as #65 QB in the nation.

Verbally committed to the Big Ten's university of Wisconsin. Turned down offers from Duke, Kentucky, Boston College, East Carolina, and Middle Tennessee State. Other offers were surely on the way as well, had Phillips not fell in love with U of Wisconsin and verbally committed. Other schools looking hard were UT, VT, Stanford, Mississppi State, and Auburn. I know there were others so maybe someone else can add to this list. I heard he was throwing for Cutcliff the day he verbally committed to Wisconsin.

6'3" 218lbs, 34 inch Vertical, 11 second 100Meter Dash, 4.56 40 yard dash, a monster in the weight room benching well over 300lbs.

As a Junior last year, Phillips passed for 2,201 yards with 25 touchdowns and only six interceptions, completing 138-of-217. He added 805 yards rushing with 14 touchdowns. Phillips was the Player of the Year in the Mountain Lakes Conference last season after passing and running for 3,000 yards, leading the Rebels to back to back Mountain Lakes Conference Championships.

If Phillips doesn't get Mr. Football for 4A, then it will be the greatest mistake by an awards committiee since Peyton Manning didn't win the Heisman. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

There are many good players in Tennessee who deserve recognition for their fantastic play this season. But, as far as 4A back goes, anyone who has seen Curt Phillips of Sullivan South High School play, knows this is a no-brainer for 4A. I have seen games throughout the state, including championship games five of the past seven years, and quite frankly, Curt Phillips is the best Quarterback I have seen in Tennessee highschool football in at least the past 15 years.

Curt is a 2-time All-State QB. Soon to be 3-time. Through 7 games this season he has passed for 1115 yards with 9 TDs and a pass completion percentage of 62%. Also, through 7 games he has Rushed for 759 Yards and another 16 TDs. Will easily surpass 7,000 total yards for his career. Through 7 games he has accounted for 102 points. He is averaging 34.7 yards per punt return and 1 TD (only one TD because everybody punts away from him).

Unapproved Website has him rated at a 5.7. As defined by Rivals a 5.7 is ---> 5.7-5.5 All-Region Selection; considered among the region's top prospects and among the top 750 or so prospects in the country; high-to-mid-major prospect; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team. Rivals has Phillips as the Top QB in Tennessee and the #9 player overall in the state. Rivals has Phillips as the #9 Dual Threat Quarterback in the entire country. Scout.com Vandymania Tennessee Super 44. Scout.com has Phillips as the #57 Quarterback in the nation, #1 in Tennessee and lists Phillips as a 4-Star player. ESPN Recruit Tracker has Curt as the #19 QB in the Nation and highest ranked back of any kind in Tennessee. Murphy Fair has Phillips both Preseason All-State and United States Army pre-season All-Acedemic Team. Only one of four players on Tom Lemmings 2008 All-American Watch List, and the only back of any kind. One of 400 players nationwide to be nominated for the U.S. Army All-American Bowl played annually in San Antonio. CSTV's Tom Lemming has Phillips as the #10 Dual Threat QB in the Nation describing Phillips as a "Big kid with a strong arm who didn't get a lot of play but looked good in San Antonio at the U.S. Army Combine back in January. Badgers locked him down early." Tee Martin picked Phillips as the top QB at the 2007 Athens Nike Football Camp. Recruit Expert Jim Stefani lists Phillips as #65 QB in the nation.

Verbally committed to the Big Ten's university of Wisconsin. Turned down offers from Duke, Kentucky, Boston College, East Carolina, and Middle Tennessee State. Other offers were surely on the way as well, had Phillips not fell in love with U of Wisconsin and verbally committed. Other schools looking hard were UT, VT, Stanford, Mississppi State, and Auburn. I know there were others so maybe someone else can add to this list. I heard he was throwing for Cutcliff the day he verbally committed to Wisconsin.

6'3" 218lbs, 34 inch Vertical, 11 second 100Meter Dash, 4.56 40 yard dash, a monster in the weight room benching well over 300lbs.

As a Junior last year, Phillips passed for 2,201 yards with 25 touchdowns and only six interceptions, completing 138-of-217. He added 805 yards rushing with 14 touchdowns. Phillips was the Player of the Year in the Mountain Lakes Conference last season after passing and running for 3,000 yards, leading the Rebels to back to back Mountain Lakes Conference Championships.

If Phillips doesn't get Mr. Football for 4A, then it will be the greatest mistake by an awards committiee since Peyton Manning didn't win the Heisman. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

great post. saw him play last year. he's the real deal. wish we could have kept him in state, but UT is pretty deep at QB right now. thought he'd be a good fit at UK too, but should do well at UW. based on what i've seen he should be 4A Mr football. being up in the NE may hurt him a little, but he should take it fairly easily i would imagine.

Is this kid a better QB than BJ Coleman? I haven't seen either one play. Did he receive an offer from UT? Can he lead his team to a playoff victory over Burnette and his Maryville Rebels and advance to the State Title Game? He must be pretty good to get a Big Ten offer. The Hillsboro running back also has a Big Ten offer.

Is this kid a better QB than BJ Coleman? I haven't seen either one play. Did he receive an offer from UT? Can he lead his team to a playoff victory over Burnette and his Maryville Rebels and advance to the State Title Game? He must be pretty good to get a Big Ten offer. The Hillsboro running back also has a Big Ten offer.

The answer to your question is yes. Nothing negative on Coleman who is a great player.

Phillips is the next Tebow.