4-AAA Preseason positioning

3ballKing24

Starting Line-up

Point guard - Brad Cochran 6'2

Guard - Micah Ballard 6'2

Guard/forward - Corey Welch 6'3

Center/forward - Seth Messer 6'5

Center/forward - Jordan ? 6'5 (transfer from Wartbug)

Pre-football starting line-up for WB will probably look like this:

P.G. - Caleb Williamson, 6'0" SR

#2 Guard - Micah Ballard, 6'2" SO

Wing - Corey Welch, 6'3" SR

Wing/Post - Seth Messer, 6'5" SR

Post - Jordan Spurling, 6'6" SR

Post-football likely starters:

P.G. - Williamson / Tyler Burstrom, 6'0" SR

#2 Guard - Ballard

Wing - Welch

Wing/ Post/ Guard - Brad Cochran, 6'3" SR

Post - Messer / Spurling

Player Notes:

Welch will be one of the top players in the district/ East Tennessee. Can shoot the 3 ball, can go right or left and shoot right or left in the paint. Difficult match-up.

Cochran can play anywhere. Tremendous hustler/ great work ethic.

Ballard had a great summer. Will be called on to contribute offensively.

Williamson is a slick ball handler / passer. Will need to improve agressiveness on "o".

Burstrom is just an athlete. He'll help a lot and challenge for starting spot.

Messer has tremendous upside. Will need to work on consistency. Good quickness for size.

Spurling will contribute but will have to adjust to AAA basketball after playing at the single A level.

Depth will be an issue. Not a lot of varsity experience after the guys listed above. WB can certainly be a contender but their success will come from outhustling/outworking/ coaching/ and smart play more than just pure talent.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After talking to a few players last night they all said that Williamson will start till football season is over and Cochran will then take over the point Guard, Cochran ran the point last year towards the end of the season. Both Spurling and Messer will start this year.

Pre Football Starters

Williamson at 1

Ballard at 2

Steven Roberts at 3

Welch at 4

Messer at 5

I dont think Spurling is quite ready... give him a few weeks thou.

Pre Football Starters

Williamson at 1

Ballard at 2

Steven Roberts at 3

Welch at 4

Messer at 5

I dont think Spurling is quite ready... give him a few weeks thou.

Yankees and Blountfan:

I'll make a deal with you. Give it a couple of weeks and see who starts before the football team is finished. Then give it a few more weeks and see who ends up starting after football is over. I'll be correct on both counts with what I said. No need for any more pre-season speculation, just do what I say ... wait and see.

BTW, Cochran ran some point because of injurys and because neither Williamson nor Burstrom were on the team to fill in. Michael Thompson/ Jordan Conley ran the point every game except for one or two missed with injuries. Brad played wing/post the majority of the time.

I'd say Bearden, Maryville, Farragut, William Blount, Heritage, Lenoir City, Sevier County, South Doyle.

I think Bearden and Maryville both have the potential to bring a 2nd straight state title back to District 4-AAA. Bearden has better depth than Maryville. If Bearden gets solid pg play and can improve their outside shooting, they can beat anybody. They have great size and athletes, and Blevins can coach. Maryville should have an outstanding starting five, the same five who were on the court in overtime of the state title game after Basile and Maples fouled out. Depth will be a concern for Maryville, but a school of their size should be able to produce a few key reserves; you really only need about 7 or 8 guys if they can play.

Farragut and WB should be really good, too. I think the top 4 in the district is pretty clearcut.

I'd watch for Farragut. Quick, athletic, can shoot.

Bearden will not win the district. Simpson is ineligible until after Christmas because of grades (so I've heard). If that is the case, that could knock Bearden down, and if they loose 2 or 3 games before he comes back they could easily drop to third. Jenkins can not carry the load himself; he is too soft. I don't see Maryville or Farragut loosing more than 2 games in the district.

Prepxtra rankings are out:

1. Bearden

2. Maryville

3. AE

4. Fulton

5. Oak Ridge

6. Farragut

7. Loudon

8. Anderson County

9. Powell

10. Catholic

This is probably the strongest group of Knoxville area teams I can remember. 1 through 6 are all very good, although from what I have seen AE is good but ranked to high. Maybe they will improve as the season goes on but just about everyone below them - Fulton, Farragut. Oak Ridge, and AC looked better in spring ball and scrimmages.

3 Bearden (Simpson, Jenkins, Craig), 2 Maryville (Douglas, Damron), 2 Fulton (Gallman, Minor) and 2 AE (Jones, Florence) and 1 OR (Dowdell) players listed as top players. As usual a talented group of Farragut players is overlooked. Binder is the only one mentioned in the ready to shine category.

Binder is the real deal. Can shoot the 3 or score in the paint with either hand, but their edge will be team play. Once again they will go 10 deep and you can count on Coach Dodgen's system to win games and as a byproduct keep any one player from putting up the big numbers that make PrepXtra lists or lead to post season accolades. No triumverate, but don't be surprised if the Admirals make some waves again this year.

Binder is the real deal. Can shoot the 3 or score in the paint with either hand, but their edge will be team play. Once again they will go 10 deep and you can count on Coach Dodgen's system to win games and as a byproduct keep any one player from putting up the big numbers that make PrepXtra lists or lead to post season accolades. No triumverate, but don't be surprised if the Admirals make some waves again this year.

Last year in a few games Farragut's backups played better than some other teams starters.. I wonder if the loss of the jv coach will hurt Farragut in any way. I still can not believe they did not make it to state last year...