Smokeless Tobacco ... Is it worth it?

GovMan

As a few may have noticed, a few weeks ago GovMan went missing on CoachT. It was (is) a tough decision, but it was (is) just something I needed to do for a while. Still enjoy reading posts ... but just decided to back off from posting a little while. To those who've noticed and said nice things, "thanks" , you all flatter me. I don't deserve it.

I'm back for a rare posting because I've been so moved by something I read in one of the fine articles written by Stephen Hargis of the Chattanooga Times Free Press dealing with the tragic passing of Grundy County Football Coach Chris Pickett. It was in an article written this summer when Coach Pickett was first diagnosed with throat cancer that I read that doctors attibuted his cancer to his "dipping tobacco" from year's earlier. He had since quit the habit.

I was reminded of an end of pratice pep-talk given by my dear friend Stan Ballard a few years back when we coached an AAU team together. Stan was in the middle of his own battle with mouth/throat cancer and he had a hard time talking and being heard and understood and I remember he called all our young men in real close and he told them, "Guys, I never dipped or chewed tobacco. I'm SO GLAD I didn't, because I've put my family through so much ... if I thought I was responsible for this cancer, I couldn't live with myself. He went on to look our young men in the eyes and plead with them, PLEASE don't use tobacco." Less than two years later, Stan would go home one Christmas season to be with his Lord and Savior. I've never gotten over Stan, never will ... I loved him so much. And I've never gotten over what he said.

See, I'm not throwing any stones, I was a dipper myself at one time. Not that long ago. I'm not talking about much. Maybe one can of Skoal Bandits every two weeks. Fortunately, my wife and my kids (including the son who was there with me for that talk from Stan) finally gave me an ultimatum and reminded me of how stupid I was to even remotely risk it. I threw away my can that day and haven't touched any since and don't intend to ever again.

Football players, basketball players, baseball players ... whatever sport you play ... PARENTS AND COACHES -- I just ask you this question: IS IT WORTH IT? Is that "pinch between your cheek and gum" really worth it? If this in any way sounds disrespectful to Coach Pickett, I'm sorry and please forgive me, I promise with all my heart it isn't meant to be. But I bet if you could ask his son and his wife, they would have a real strong opinion about "dipping". I know I do.

I've got on here (I had said I wasn't going to) and I've preached. Please forgive me for that, I don't want to judge anyone ... but I would just beg everyone to at least consider what I've said. CoachT, I know this doesn't exclusively have to do with football, but to some extent it does, so I hope you'll allow my post to stand.

Thanks to Stephen Hargis for the great articles, the one about Coach Pickett going home to see his daugter broke my heart, but inspired me as well. My prayers are daily with all those affected by this great man's passing.

Peace,

GovMan

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a few may have noticed, a few weeks ago GovMan went missing on CoachT. It was (is) a tough decision, but it was (is) just something I needed to do for a while. Still enjoy reading posts ... but just decided to back off from posting a little while. To those who've noticed and said nice things, "thanks" , you all flatter me. I don't deserve it.

I'm back for a rare posting because I've been so moved by something I read in one of the fine articles written by Stephen Hargis of the Chattanooga Times Free Press dealing with the tragic passing of Grundy County Football Coach Chris Pickett. It was in an article written this summer when Coach Pickett was first diagnosed with throat cancer that I read that doctors attibuted his cancer to his "dipping tobacco" from year's earlier. He had since quit the habit.

I was reminded of an end of pratice pep-talk given by my dear friend Stan Ballard a few years back when we coached an AAU team together. Stan was in the middle of his own battle with mouth/throat cancer and he had a hard time talking and being heard and understood and I remember he called all our young men in real close and he told them, "Guys, I never dipped or chewed tobacco. I'm SO GLAD I didn't, because I've put my family through so much ... if I thought I was responsible for this cancer, I couldn't live with myself. He went on to look our young men in the eyes and plead with them, PLEASE don't use tobacco." Less than two years later, Stan would go home one Christmas season to be with his Lord and Savior. I've never gotten over Stan, never will ... I loved him so much. And I've never gotten over what he said.

See, I'm not throwing any stones, I was a dipper myself at one time. Not that long ago. I'm not talking about much. Maybe one can of Skoal Bandits every two weeks. Fortunately, my wife and my kids (including the son who was there with me for that talk from Stan) finally gave me an ultimatum and reminded me of how stupid I was to even remotely risk it. I threw away my can that day and haven't touched any since and don't intend to ever again.

Football players, basketball players, baseball players ... whatever sport you play ... PARENTS AND COACHES -- I just ask you this question: IS IT WORTH IT? Is that "pinch between your cheek and gum" really worth it? If this in any way sounds disrespectful to Coach Pickett, I'm sorry and please forgive me, I promise with all my heart it isn't meant to be. But I bet if you could ask his son and his wife, they would have a real strong opinion about "dipping". I know I do.

I've got on here (I had said I wasn't going to) and I've preached. Please forgive me for that, I don't want to judge anyone ... but I would just beg everyone to at least consider what I've said. CoachT, I know this doesn't exclusively have to do with football, but to some extent it does, so I hope you'll allow my post to stand.

Thanks to Stephen Hargis for the great articles, the one about Coach Pickett going home to see his daugter broke my heart, but inspired me as well. My prayers are daily with all those affected by this great man's passing.

Peace,

GovMan

Great and very moving post, Govman. (We've missed your sincerity around here).

Jethro (formerly tservies)

As a coach and a long time dipper I gotta say when I read this article in the Tennessean I can honeslty say for the first time I got scared. God Bless his family, but more importantley God Bless Coach Pickett for waking me up. I just hope its not too late for me.

Curious, what sport did you coach. It seems that tobacco use is most prevalent in football and baseball. Both sports are the most conducive for the use, outside with limited running. I applaud you for quitting. I encourage you to get other coaches to not only quit, but to stop allowing the use of tobacco on school property by both coaches and STUDENTS/PLAYERS. They should not allow it to be used on the field, locker room, buses, etc. I cant understand how a coach can preach team rules but allows not only a school rule but a law to be broken.

I love smokeless tobacco. It makes my day go by a little easier.

Hey GovMan

Your really stepping on my toes... ( think it may be the baptist in you..) but I have been trying to cut back myself..

Did you notice when you stopped that it made your wife harder to get along with??? Mine gets so irritable the ole devil couldn't get along with her..... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Good Thread GovMan ...needed to be said!!!

tpoole12