Tullahoma Girls Basketball 2007-08

Skipper

I do agree but the coach needs to be motivated to win. The talent is there. These girls are not far away from being good. And what is up with one of the girl's dads attending the practices and all buddy buddy with the coach and now his girl is starting? Hmmm something not right there. Its not fair to the girls who bust their butts for this guy and their parents are respectful enough not to be sucking up to the coach. If your girl is good enough to play then she will. Let her earn her spot not have it given to her. Have some respect for the other girls, your girl's teammates.

there down 7 players(4 starters hurt vance, barlow, edens and seay)(1 at shelbyville, 1 quit and 1 freshman that can come and sing the national anthem but she can't put on a jersey)

so they have to start somebody

plus because of the new running clock the lawrence co game only lasted 55 minutes and we play shelbyville friday so the boys game will start by atleast 7:30

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All im saying is that parents shouldnt dictate who gets to play. I think everybody with the exception of skipper will agree with me. And ask any of the girls and they will tell you that it is going on. If someone wants to have them through jr pro and AAU then thats great but once they are playing high school ball the coach should make the decisions, not have someone make the decisions for him.

i don't buy the whole youth program because we have had good middle school teams before

Think of it this way. Your middle school teams may be good, but for every summer AAU or some summer league is played, experience is gained and skills are polished. If your players aren't participating and your opponents players are playing, it will make a differnce especially over three or four years. You can see the same type thing happen when a player is out for an injury for a season. They often have a lot of catching up to do when they get back just because they haven't been on the floor gaining experience.

All im saying is that parents shouldnt dictate who gets to play. I think everybody with the exception of skipper will agree with me. And ask any of the girls and they will tell you that it is going on. If someone wants to have them through jr pro and AAU then thats great but once they are playing high school ball the coach should make the decisions, not have someone make the decisions for him.

Nobody that I asked sees any favoritism. The coach has started 10 different players, had at least 5 different starting line-ups just in the last month, and everybody including his freshman have been getting minutes in the varsity games. It looks like he is just trying different combinations.

Coach Seals has been coaching for 30 years; from what I??™ve heard he isn??™t is going to let anybody (especially parents) ???dictate??? to him how much playing time each of his players should be getting. For the games that I have seen, there have only been three players that have started almost every game and they are consistent players that have probably earned their minutes in the eyes of the Coach. But even those three are substituted out several times per game.

Not sure why you are so upset about who is playing unless you have a daughter who is not getting enough minutes, but if you don??™t like how the coach is handling playing time, take it up with him rather than stirring the pot here. Accusations in an on-line forum serve no purpose but to create resentment within the team.

I saw THS girls in the Kiwanis Tourney in Manchester this year. Although they lost both games I felt like they are playing well, even with their youth & injuries. CC players also complemented them to me (former asst. coach there) telling how THS has improved. They moved the ball well & created good shots against Independence (present asst. coach) THS plays in a very fundamentally strong & physical district. Give them time, THS will improve & compete greater in a season or two. Good Luck

Amazing how rumors get started and facts get twisted on internet message boards. I talked to several of the girls and coaches and they all say no parents have been attending practices. The poster above is apparently talking about the former East Middle School coach who has a daughter on the team, and he has indeed been seen in the halls of the school. His daughter stays after practice and works on her game, and he comes to work with her and sometimes brings his young son along to shoot. They said he does not even enter the gym while practice is going on even though he would be welcome. I was told that this girl stayed late every day after holiday practices while every other player hit the door running as soon as practice was over, and she and her dad are still staying and working every day after practice. If this is a problem, I'm sure the coaches would love to have about a dozen with the same problem.

Amazing how rumors get started and facts get twisted on internet message boards. I talked to several of the girls and coaches and they all say no parents have been attending practices. The poster above is apparently talking about the former East Middle School coach who has a daughter on the team, and he has indeed been seen in the halls of the school. His daughter stays after practice and works on her game, and he comes to work with her and sometimes brings his young son along to shoot. They said he does not even enter the gym while practice is going on even though he would be welcome. I was told that this girl stayed late every day after holiday practices while every other player hit the door running as soon as practice was over, and she and her dad are still staying and working every day after practice. If this is a problem, I'm sure the coaches would love to have about a dozen with the same problem.

This parent can be seen after every game with the coach. This is a fact. I have been at every game and i have seen this first hand.

( mikemcgee @ Jan 10 2008 - 12:58 PM) Amazing how rumors get started and facts get twisted on internet message boards. I talked to several of the girls and coaches and they all say no parents have been attending practices. The poster above is apparently talking about the former East Middle School coach who has a daughter on the team, and he has indeed been seen in the halls of the school. His daughter stays after practice and works on her game, and he comes to work with her and sometimes brings his young son along to shoot. They said he does not even enter the gym while practice is going on even though he would be welcome. I was told that this girl stayed late every day after holiday practices while every other player hit the door running as soon as practice was over, and she and her dad are still staying and working every day after practice. If this is a problem, I'm sure the coaches would love to have about a dozen with the same problem.

( jman12 @ Jan 11 2008 - 04:27 PM) This parent can be seen after every game with the coach. This is a fact. I have been at every game and i have seen this first hand.

You two must be talking about two different people. The former East Middle Coach hasn??™t been at every game because he missed a number of games while coaching his son??™s basketball team.

Jman12 are you sure you aren??™t mistakenly thinking about the guy who takes pictures at the games (not a parent) and then talks to the coach after every game. I heard they are former teammates and friends from way back. He sometimes helps out at Coach Seals practices and is a great supporter of the program.

The only players who have been regular starters are Gilbert, Thornberg and Vance and they play hard and pretty consistent. I don??™t see a problem with unfair court time. Everyone else has been rotating in and out a lot.

Can??™t go to the game tonight but they will have quite a challenge against Shelbyville. Good Luck Lady Wildcats!!

AAU doesn't make you any better. Things like working after practice and perfecting your skills makes you better. I can't stand the notion that simply going out and playing will make you better. If your skills are not up to par simply playing AAU will not improve them.

I agree that working after practice is a good thing but do you honestly believe that playing against good competition does not make you better? My own personal experiene (as a player and coach) is that I want to play the best competition I can schedule. There is no doubt that if you practice your team and mine goes out and plays tough competition that my team will be better prepared to achieve success.

• 2 weeks later...

I do agree but the coach needs to be motivated to win. The talent is there. These girls are not far away from being good. And what is up with one of the girl's dads attending the practices and all buddy buddy with the coach and now his girl is starting? Hmmm something not right there. Its not fair to the girls who bust their butts for this guy and their parents are respectful enough not to be sucking up to the coach. If your girl is good enough to play then she will. Let her earn her spot not have it given to her. Have some respect for the other girls, your girl's teammates.

[/quote

I do agree with mjuhb on this. When they are missing the players that they are, somebody needs to step up. Whether it is the daughter of the "coach's buddy" or not, somebody has to step up. I trust the coach to make the right decision with whom he starts, and if you think you could do a better job with this, then go ahead and be my guest and apply for the coaching job. Coach Seals is coaching to the best of his ability with the team he has.