Dobyns Bennett and Sullivan South

With Dobyns Bennett at 5-3 (3-1) and Sullivan South at 7-1 (5-0), what will it take to get the ole rivalry/city championship game back? I, for one, think Sullivan South would have definatley been more beneficial to the Indians in Week 5 than Elizabethton and with an easy win at Daniel Boone for the Rebels that same week it appears a game against Dobyns Bennett would have benefitted the Rebels as well. Now we can prognosticate over years past and this and that, but with Sullivan South's program on the up and up and playing consistently this game should get more competitive. I also think it would benefit Sullivan South to play Dobyns Bennett in week 5 or 6, rather than week 1 or 2 and I think most would agree with that notion in the past. I don't know the monetary situation from it, but I would think the gate for this game would help in the decision process.

When replying, for simplicities sake, state 'Yes, I'm in favor of renewing the game' or 'No, I do not want to see the game renewed' before commenting, offering your opinion, etc...

Yes, I am in favor of renewing the game. I don't think it should have ever been taken off the schedule. I know that we haven't given D-B a good competitive game in quite some time, minus the 2005 campaign, however judging from the amount of people at J Fred Johnson last year, I would say it is a game that peaks alot of interest among us locals. I do want the game to be beneficial to both schools, in other words, the game couldn't have helped D-B thru most of the nineties and the early 2000's and it certainly wasn't good having our hats handed to us every year, but I do believe it has driven alot of people in the South community to get better. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck Indians and Go Big Blue!!

With Dobyns Bennett at 5-3 (3-1) and Sullivan South at 7-1 (5-0), what will it take to get the ole rivalry/city championship game back? I, for one, think Sullivan South would have definatley been more beneficial to the Indians in Week 5 than Elizabethton and with an easy win at Daniel Boone for the Rebels that same week it appears a game against Dobyns Bennett would have benefitted the Rebels as well. Now we can prognosticate over years past and this and that, but with Sullivan South's program on the up and up and playing consistently this game should get more competitive. I also think it would benefit Sullivan South to play Dobyns Bennett in week 5 or 6, rather than week 1 or 2 and I think most would agree with that notion in the past. I don't know the monetary situation from it, but I would think the gate for this game would help in the decision process.

When replying, for simplicities sake, state 'Yes, I'm in favor of renewing the game' or 'No, I do not want to see the game renewed' before commenting, offering your opinion, etc...

No, let it go.

South wanted this game to end so I would let it end. The contracts are generally two years at a time; therefore, I think it will be very difficult to renew it next year. Perhaps in '09. But I don't think fans should beg South administration to renew it if they don't have the gumption to play the Tribe. South traded off a lopsided defeat, big moneymaker, and injury creator for a lower hype, less money, more winnable opponent. That is their perogative. In the past, playing D-B was needed to get media attention. With the elimination of a local TV news station in Kingsport and the supplanting of newspapers by internet sports, South doesn't need the game in terms of publicity. This series ended because the South Coach, Principal, and AD wanted it do. Also, there were some parents close to the football program who wanted it to end. Ultimately, it is was the school administration's decision. Let's let it lay for 6 to 8 years and see if anyone really cares.

No, let it go.

South wanted this game to end so I would let it end. The contracts are generally two years at a time; therefore, I think it will be very difficult to renew it next year. Perhaps in '09. But I don't think fans should beg South administration to renew it if they don't have the gumption to play the Tribe. South traded off a lopsided defeat, big moneymaker, and injury creator for a lower hype, less money, more winnable opponent. That is their perogative. In the past, playing D-B was needed to get media attention. With the elimination of a local TV news station in Kingsport and the supplanting of newspapers by internet sports, South doesn't need the game in terms of publicity. This series ended because the South Coach, Principal, and AD wanted it do. Also, there were some parents close to the football program who wanted it to end. Ultimately, it is was the school administration's decision. Let's let it lay for 6 to 8 years and see if anyone really cares.

I 100% agree.

The main thing is right now,this year.South has a chance to have a special season,as does the Tribe.I enjoy reading and seeing the highlights on the South games and wish them all the best.DB has their hands full with CC tonight and SH next week.A daunting task in the future with some of the states most powerful teams, looms there for DB as well.So good luck South,bring back a championship and we will see you in the 7 on 7 next year .