Science Hill @ Dobyns-Bennett

Two memories:

In the mid-fifties, SH cheerleaders would come to all elementary schools with free tickets for the Kingsport game. Packing the stadium didn't help, the great Jasper-led teams, clad in almost all white, maroon Jets-like inserts with a number inside, single thin maroon striped helmet, would waste the Hilltoppers.

In the late sixties, after the bureaucratic hiatus of not playing each other, finally both loaded squads got to square off in JC. The stadium was packed beyond standing-room-only. Johnson City embarassed DB, my coaches, players I still knew, me. I had worn the uniform of both teams, but only loved one.

64TNChamp, What's the story on why DB and SH didn't play either other in the 60's? Was that after Spurrier played since he won the Heisman in '66?

You played for both DB and SH? What was that like?

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aha talk about the game....defense is still 3-5-3....hopefully Mancuso will be available but Rodney Smith has been huge the last two games starting in that position....not many playing both ways but for a hand full of plays most notably Trent and Kinley...Ash took some snaps from the backfield and looked good doing it....if last week was any indication while not having Hill at receiver the ball was spreaded around to 6 different receivers and the ball is downfield, Joslin, Kinley and McPeherson all had over 40 yards receiving on two catches.....Fg kicker is perfect on the season and has range of around 40 yards.......

Now your turn...I know that the DB hasn't had to throw the ball the last few weeks but can they? I know that they will have some special defense cooked up for this game but are the able to contain the edges? I know that Dukhart(sp?), Crawford and Sylestver are their biggest threats in the passing game but is Ring do a good job of getting them the ball and the line giving them time? The worst thing about this game is once it starts it seems that it only takes about 15 minutes to get it played.....

Throwing the ball, or better said catching the ball has made the offense effective (dropped some passes in early games that might have made for different outcomes, but passing game is good right now)...very efficient passing game...offensive line has done a very good job in pass protection and run blocking...able to rotate 7 or 8 players on the offensive line without a dropoff...Dukart the leading receiver yards wise, Crawford the leader receptions wise...defense will run the 3-3-5 D-B has for a few years, and blitz out of it as D-B has for years...will also deploy a 4 man front in certain situations and blitz from that...defense covers the field pretty well...

Why hasn't the FG kicker been used more as of late?...I understand the Hill has gone for it a couple of times when in FG range?(yes, somehow that is a question)...what was or is Mancuso's injury?...what about Larry is he still contributing?...whom is handling punt and kickoff returns?...(sorry, I messed up on spelling of Kinley)

Thanks

Roll Tribe Roll

Aha talk about the game....defense is still 3-5-3....hopefully Mancuso will be available but Rodney Smith has been huge the last two games starting in that position....not many playing both ways but for a hand full of plays most notably Trent and Kinley...Ash took some snaps from the backfield and looked good doing it....if last week was any indication while not having Hill at receiver the ball was spreaded around to 6 different receivers and the ball is downfield, Joslin, Kinley and McPeherson all had over 40 yards receiving on two catches.....Fg kicker is perfect on the season and has range of around 40 yards.......

Now your turn...I know that the DB hasn't had to throw the ball the last few weeks but can they? I know that they will have some special defense cooked up for this game but are the able to contain the edges? I know that Dukhart(sp?), Crawford and Sylestver are their biggest threats in the passing game but is Ring do a good job of getting them the ball and the line giving them time? The worst thing about this game is once it starts it seems that it only takes about 15 minutes to get it played.....

Statistically, Crawford and Crawford are DB's biggest threats, but Sylvester, Templeton, Ring, Throp, Taylor, Morrison, King, and Doran are all capable receivers. Jordan Edwards (DB basketball player) hasn't had many thrown his way, but he is a big target at 6'7" and has good hands. DB's receivers are all good blockers and enable the running game to break off long runs.

Two memories:

In the mid-fifties, SH cheerleaders would come to all elementary schools with free tickets for the Kingsport game. Packing the stadium didn't help, the great Jasper-led teams, clad in almost all white, maroon Jets-like inserts with a number inside, single thin maroon striped helmet, would waste the Hilltoppers.

In the late sixties, after the bureaucratic hiatus of not playing each other, finally both loaded squads got to square off in JC. The stadium was packed beyond standing-room-only. Johnson City embarassed DB, my coaches, players I still knew, me. I had worn the uniform of both teams, but only loved one.

I'm confused

Two memories:

Coach Smith, is that you? If so, put down the history books and pick up an offensive play book.

I hope that the team can finish well, but we do have to factor in that what success we did have moving the ball last Friday was against a team that had lost 7 straight games. I don't think that the QB change will be a cure all. This team has bigger problems than that.

I hope that the team can finish well, but we do have to factor in that what success we did have moving the ball last Friday was against a team that had lost 7 straight games. I don't think that the QB change will be a cure all. This team has bigger problems than that.

Never said it was a cure all, seems that the defense has allowed all these game winning drives to end the games and that the offense has not been able to keep the ball when it needs to run the clock. Sounds like a TEAM effort to me. There was a question asked and I answered it.

Throwing the ball, or better said catching the ball has made the offense effective (dropped some passes in early games that might have made for different outcomes, but passing game is good right now)...very efficient passing game...offensive line has done a very good job in pass protection and run blocking...able to rotate 7 or 8 players on the offensive line without a dropoff...Dukart the leading receiver yards wise, Crawford the leader receptions wise...defense will run the 3-3-5 D-B has for a few years, and blitz out of it as D-B has for years...will also deploy a 4 man front in certain situations and blitz from that...defense covers the field pretty well...

Why hasn't the FG kicker been used more as of late?...I understand the Hill has gone for it a couple of times when in FG range?(yes, somehow that is a question)...what was or is Mancuso's injury?...what about Larry is he still contributing?...whom is handling punt and kickoff returns?...(sorry, I messed up on spelling of Kinley)

Thanks

Roll Tribe Roll

All my post are my opnion and that's all i have to offer. I'm not sure of why more field goals haven't been attempted but after the Tn High game coach said that the kicker had a slight groin pull so that might have been a factor or to show that he had confidence in the kids to get the job done, not really sure of which but the latter is my opnion. I have no idea what Mancuso's injury was/is except it was a leg injury suffered in the Jeff Co game and he needed help leaving the field. Larry contributes when he keeps his head in the game, which can be said about any kid. Last week punts were handled by Canepa and returns were Duanah, McPherson and Canepa. Up until then substitute Kinley for Canepa.

How is the injury situation in Kingsport? I wouldn't expect any deep kickoffs to your return men, we know what Dukhart can do. I hear that the Sensabugh kid might be a better linebacker than he is a running back, how much does he play both ways?

WatchDoggy I will give you credit,you have been on target all year.I don't know who you are but you seem to be correct about alot of things.You don't care who you make mad or talk about.Some DB fans don't like hearing the truth.Hope our bubble doesn't get busted again this year.

Just an old timer that listens, may it be the Jan Mar, Church, Ren Center or where ever. I dont mean to make em mad, I just dont drink GC's Kool Aide. TOO many things get swept under the rug up there. Not just GC but Wilson, Walton, Pugh... But it seems more now since the there is more pressure to win. Several posts still keep talking about the great coaching job. ???? DB finally has a runner running North/South, up under center, a least half a huddle (still need to run the play in) and playing weak teams. How many players in E Tn are being looked at by D-1 schools? That should give you a hint how weak E Tn football is. Since we all like predictions, let me make one for next year. CS will be the fullback and JS the tailback. PS 5 freshman got moved up this week. If they were that great, why didnt they try them at JV sometime during the season since they had problems beating a good team. Oh well, easy win this Friday, maybe some more sr's will get a little playing time.

64TNChamp, What's the story on why DB and SH didn't play either other in the 60's? Was that after Spurrier played since he won the Heisman in '66?

You played for both DB and SH? What was that like?

DB and JC fought over choice of referees. This topic was beat to death last year on this site; maybe you can access the archives. There was political bad blood in the then Big 7 with bus-rocking, people-knocking incidents that precluded football. I was born in JC and played on a City Champ as a sixth-grader (even beat the All-Stars on Halloween); we played tackle football for elementary schools as early as the fourth grade in my case. Junior High was 7th-9th grades, but everyone dressed and practiced virtually together. I left JC after the 7th to move to Hickory, NC, and returned for my junior and senior years at DB: as you can see from the above, "The Last State Champ." I did not play with Spurrier in either case, although did have a great conversation with Once-Head-Coach, Tom Pugh, one evening Re: how DB tried to defend against Spurrier. The plan involved attempting to shut down his primary receiver, Jimmy Sanders, who was the sixth-grade quarterback of my elementary team when I was a fourth grader. I never would have come back to East Tennessee if I would have known I could not play Johnson City. My coach at Hickory offered me a full scholarship to Duke as a sophomore just to stay. I hated Johnson City for personal reasons. When all this went down, it killed me but probably saved the lives of several Hilltoppers. Johnson City had several stars in '64 but most notably, Tommy Thomas (MTSU) and Bobby Yeiser (Vandy), one was my best friend for years and the other a playmate, and reasonably good tackle, although untested versus the Tennesses State Champs 1964.

Just an old timer that listens, may it be the Jan Mar, Church, Ren Center or where ever. I dont mean to make em mad, I just dont drink GC's Kool Aide. TOO many things get swept under the rug up there. Not just GC but Wilson, Walton, Pugh... But it seems more now since the there is more pressure to win. Several posts still keep talking about the great coaching job. ???? DB finally has a runner running North/South, up under center, a least half a huddle (still need to run the play in) and playing weak teams. How many players in E Tn are being looked at by D-1 schools? That should give you a hint how weak E Tn football is. Since we all like predictions, let me make one for next year. CS will be the fullback and JS the tailback. PS 5 freshman got moved up this week. If they were that great, why didnt they try them at JV sometime during the season since they had problems beating a good team. Oh well, easy win this Friday, maybe some more sr's will get a little playing time.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with moving CS to fullback and starting JS at tailback.I think we are set at tailback{Chris}.Why would you go backwards or might I say sideways at tailback?Use Justin on defense where he is very important.You have a true fullback backing up Lane Taylor now.You can use JS at slot,he is a great athlete.