Science Hill @ Dobyns-Bennett

In spite of all the problems on the Hill and many shots across the bow at coach Smith including 1 or 2 by me. This is the first time that I am aware of a young Topper being called out by name for his play. Almost all other posts have had nothing but good about individual Toppers by name or if a comment is in a negative vain, true or not, it was made generically without name. As a former Topper, you can do better than that when one the best posters on here is connected to the young man and has shown nothing but class inregard to his son's team mates and coaches.

Just another old Topper who was part of a team and FB program that beat DB 3 out the four years he was in HS.

Thanks for the kind words but I know that I have ruffled some feathers as tact is not one of my strongest strengths. I'm not one to hide anything but I have not said anything on here that I haven't not told to the face of the involved parties. I've tried not to single out kids unless it's positive because regardless the kids are just working with what they are given. I love all these kids and wanted them to enjoy the feeling of being apart of special and I hope that I haven't done/posted anything to take away from what may be the last season of football for the majority of them. while I think that there are a few kids that may have attitude and work ethic problems, I don't believe it to be as rampant as some try to make it seem. I believe most of the attitude problems come from the ones who have been given their status instead of earning it. I believe that this football program will be better when the money that it takes to run it is seperated from the identities from those that give it. I know that Coach Smith cares for these kids and that's a step in the right direction. Once the kids (parents) start believing that the reason they play the games is to win, it will make his job alot easier.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game was very disappointing, the defense deserved a better showing from the offense. The turnovers were killers. I don't know what the qb was seeing on any of them and he had the worse game I have ever seen him play. He was pressing and didnt' do anything to help his team get in a positioin to win this game. The amazing stat I saw was that despite the fact that DB was hardly on the field in fourth quarter they still had about 20 more offensive plays for the game. Sensabuagh is the real deal at tailback and Sylvester came in and stepped up when needed. I think the Topper defense played well enough to win but another game of no offensive support. Good luck in the next round.

In spite of all the problems on the Hill and many shots across the bow at coach Smith including 1 or 2 by me. This is the first time that I am aware of a young Topper being called out by name for his play. Almost all other posts have had nothing but good about individual Toppers by name or if a comment is in a negative vain, true or not, it was made generically without name. As a former Topper, you can do better than that when one the best posters on here is connected to the young man and has shown nothing but class inregard to his son's team mates and coaches.

Just another old Topper who was part of a team and FB program that beat DB 3 out the four years he was in HS.

I believe that topvol has called out Sharpe a couple of times by name. Am i right or wrong? I was wrong for doing that i should have just said the QB. I am truly sorry topvol for that.

I believe that topvol has called out Sharpe a couple of times by name. Am i right or wrong? I was wrong for doing that i should have just said the QB. I am truly sorry topvol for that.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> have to invent new names to hid your identity...your a joke, i'm not hard to find, you know who I am.....if your that tore up about it do what you have to do....

horses? how many times did the so called horses fail to make a play that was there to be made--last night--also in the other game i saw--jeff co---kids have to hang on to the ball--make the tackle--catch it--not throw it to the other team---over and over and over--coaching is a major factor but not the only one---from what i hear--alot of tarzans at shhs according toparents that look the part---but play like jane

good post

it's not just coaching

The biggest problem I've had with greg sharp is that he gets to transfer his kid every year without precussions, is it because he was a coach? I don't know and I know it wasn't fair to any of the kids and that most didn't believe that he was there for them. Anything I said about greg sharp had to do with my personal dealings with him and/or my personal knowledge of the situation. He may have been a good coach to you but he's only been an overbearing selfish parent who is shopping his kid around and for what? I could have been putting up film on youtube to be suporting why I didn't think the team's chances of winning should be put on his arm when there were more capable athletes on the team other than the qb position. There wasn't a better stable of backs in the area period.

Believe me...being a coach has nothing to do with Coach Sharp being able to transfer his son with no repercussion. Being a coach has probably benefited him by knowing the TSSAA rule book like the back of his hand. I personally have had to deal with the TSSAA on a couple of occasions and can honestly say that they show no prejudice (at least not in the two cases I dealt with them). Both times dealing with a transfer situation. One not going my way (my oldest son lost his entire freshman year of eligibility in all sports because of a transfer from private school), and my nephew was given a hardship transfer when we took him out of a bad family situation his senior year. The name Greg Sharp means nothing to the powers to be at the TSSAA. Greg Sharp is getting a raw deal in this whole situation!!! Since all this happened I have inadvertently run into several people that are personally equated with Greg Sharp and ALL OF THEM have NOTHING but kind things to say about him. Believe it or not the guy who built his last house sat behind me at the THS vs SS game. After hearing several peoples take on the situation HE (himself) truly has nothing to apologize for. He did or said nothing wrong to the best of what I have been told. He may be guilty of using his influence on Smith(nothing any of us wouldn't do for our child if in that position)...but when it comes down to it, it was still Smiths decision. And as far as his son transferring again...I don't buy it. I hear parents say that ALL THE TIME. Heck...I would be lying if I told you that I never said the same in a fit of rage myself. I feel he will only do that if they are unable to undo the damage that was done this season. IMO this guy has made GREAT sacrifices and has done everything in his power to try to (in his mind) ensure his sons future. As a matter of fact, can ANYBODY truthfully say the they would have handled a parent confronting your child in the mature and sacrificial manner as Greg Sharp did. Not me...the police would have been involved one way or the other /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> !!! This post was not meant to reopen this discussion or to place blame on one person of the other, but only to let those that have hastily casted judgement that he is somehow an out of control parent and that his intention is to move his son to another school that there is an untold version of this situation. IMO (once again /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> ) by pulling his son off the team when he did, he not only removed him from a hostel environment, but he (in a sense) unselfishly gave T Hill an opportunity to prove his point.

First of all, Influence is what we're all upset about.........what kind of "coach" is worried about influence. If he wins games it doesn't matter if ' Johnny" the Dr's son, or teachers son gets to play. No one fires a winning coach. I agree the coach inherited some serious attitudes but he did nothing to change them. He let the same old bs trash talk and laziness continue and did nothing to correct it. The BENCH would've been a cure for that within the first few weeks of practice. Some of these " attitudes" would have easily been cured had these kids been sent to the sidelines to think about their attitude and commitment in the 90 degree temps. comming to practice every day just to stand in the heat and do nothing. Instead, ss came in with an " I'm your buddy attitude and we're going to have fun" and these kids ran all over him and so did some of the parents. Maybe you need to rent the movie, Remember the Titans and watch it. That coach didn't come in to a well conditioned team with heart and great attitude and just open a playbook and teach it.......WAKE UP!! The COACH built a TEAM with heart. That's what a coach is. We, at SHHS expected a COACH and a strong leader. I believe ss is a good man with a good heart but IMO he is in way over his head. He could be successful at SH but he needs to do a 180. The HEART of the team comes from the COACH. If a kid doesn't have heart or commitment..........introduce them to the sideline until they find it! ss also allowed the "seniors are superior " attitude to polute the team from the start and he even encouraged it. On the football field, all players are a team. There should be no senior, junior, sophomore. They are all ONE on the field and the BEST players for the position PLAY. The " personal fouls" comment, GO BACK and look at how many the COACHES got this year!

The fans supported the coach and the team in the beginning but it's hard to support a coach that makes poor and wreckless decisions and ruins a team. IMO, he had some great athletes and instead of getting the best out of them, he allowed them to go backwards. No one is attacking ss on a personal level, he's a good man, but he's not a good coach.

In a nutshell, here's a bit of advice to ss. Start next season with a whole new attitude. Make the team a team. Let it be known from the beginning that if you don't give 110% to the TEAM you will become very familiar with the sideline. If you don't support your BROTHERS you won't be on the team, no matter your talent or potential. DON'T separate the offense from the defense and allow trash talk within the team. DON'T cut corners and cut practices short. DON'T make poor decisions during games. STOP listening to " johnnys" daddy and stop listening to your other coaches (there're some poor attitudes there). Be the leader and build a winning TEAM.

ss better listen to his assistants. IMO 2 assistants held character and team attitude in a high position. Did anyone notice that after the CC meltdown that a couple of those juniors that look like tarzan and play like jane did not play much vs Karns, one of them actually switched positions. IMO that switch came because one assistant coach refused to play the kid with the lousy attitude and work ethic.

Believe me...being a coach has nothing to do with Coach Sharp being able to transfer his son with no repercussion. Being a coach has probably benefited him by knowing the TSSAA rule book like the back of his hand. I personally have had to deal with the TSSAA on a couple of occasions and can honestly say that they show no prejudice (at least not in the two cases I dealt with them). Both times dealing with a transfer situation. One not going my way (my oldest son lost his entire freshman year of eligibility in all sports because of a transfer from private school), and my nephew was given a hardship transfer when we took him out of a bad family situation his senior year. The name Greg Sharp means nothing to the powers to be at the TSSAA. Greg Sharp is getting a raw deal in this whole situation!!! Since all this happened I have inadvertently run into several people that are personally equated with Greg Sharp and ALL OF THEM have NOTHING but kind things to say about him. Believe it or not the guy who built his last house sat behind me at the THS vs SS game. After hearing several peoples take on the situation HE (himself) truly has nothing to apologize for. He did or said nothing wrong to the best of what I have been told. He may be guilty of using his influence on Smith(nothing any of us wouldn't do for our child if in that position)...but when it comes down to it, it was still Smiths decision. And as far as his son transferring again...I don't buy it. I hear parents say that ALL THE TIME. Heck...I would be lying if I told you that I never said the same in a fit of rage myself. I feel he will only do that if they are unable to undo the damage that was done this season. IMO this guy has made GREAT sacrifices and has done everything in his power to try to (in his mind) ensure his sons future. As a matter of fact, can ANYBODY truthfully say the they would have handled a parent confronting your child in the mature and sacrificial manner as Greg Sharp did. Not me...the police would have been involved one way or the other /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> !!! This post was not meant to reopen this discussion or to place blame on one person of the other, but only to let those that have hastily casted judgement that he is somehow an out of control parent and that his intention is to move his son to another school that there is an untold version of this situation. IMO (once again /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> ) by pulling his son off the team when he did, he not only removed him from a hostel environment, but he (in a sense) unselfishly gave T Hill an opportunity to prove his point.

Would he have made the same decision because of a bad math teacher? Probably not.

To me it seems our football program is under constuction . Good game to DB ! SHHS will return to a #1 team in the very near future . I personally have coached and seen first hand the up and coming talent to SHHS . Coach Smith is doing a wonderful job so far despite the setbacks in the recent weeks! I believe in the Topper program! On another note, I"m disgusted at a few fans on our side at the DB game for their heckling of the coaching staff of SHHS. If you don't like it don't come!!!! Otherwise lets support our staff! Oh one other thing, don't let mommy & daddy ifluence this team and this program any longer coach! I've got your back!!!!

HaHaHa.....sounds like someone needs a hug. You want your highlights up? No question that the three picks didn't help and especially the two that went back for six. They are called highights for a reason and no one forced you to look at them. Don't think I've ever even told anyone to go look at them. Qb play wasn't good not making excuses but I don't think there was ever any rythm to the offense with direct snaps to the running back for 14 straight plays and then bring in the qb to throw on 3rd down but then that would be making excuses. I know that there wasn't anyone hurting more because of the last two games. You know who I am and you wanna make up a new name and attack us. LOL /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> My point is Solomon should have been the focal point of the offense all season.

I agree...at times it appeared as if the Topper players didn't know what the playwas supposed to be and the entire offense looked out of sync...other than handing the ball to #40 and letting him run in space.

To me it seems our football program is under constuction . Good game to DB ! SHHS will return to a #1 team in the very near future . I personally have coached and seen first hand the up and coming talent to SHHS . Coach Smith is doing a wonderful job so far despite the setbacks in the recent weeks! I believe in the Topper program! On another note, I"m disgusted at a few fans on our side at the DB game for their heckling of the coaching staff of SHHS. If you don't like it don't come!!!! Otherwise lets support our staff! Oh one other thing, don't let mommy & daddy ifluence this team and this program any longer coach! I've got your back!!!!

You say "return"...when was SHHS #1?