A simple math question

lcfootball

On another thread talking about reclassification, someone posted the school enrollment numbers for 2006 so that everyone would have a better discussion on the upcoming reclassification in 09. The list has Powell at 1190 students and Lenoir City at 1234. When we played Powell earlier this year, we noticed they dressed OVER 100 players, some had to share a number, Lenoir City has about 40 players left on the varsity. I know some have quit for different reasons, but they only started with about 50 or so, thats less than some 3A teams. I really don't see the numbers of players growing in the future at LCHS and the "officials" say that more people are moving into the area every year so what gives? You can say, well you had a bad year, and yes we did, but after last year the outlook was high. The entire line was going to be returning Seniors, good running backs, good QB and etc, and we were just a point or two in some games from being 5-5, so last years record shouldn't have stopped boys from wanting to play this year. I already know of some Sophmores and Freshmen that have quit and won't return in the future, and you always lose some JRs to cars, girls, and jobs. It looks like at this rate that in a few years, LC will have 1500 students and no football team due to a lack of players. Something has to give!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On another thread talking about reclassification, someone posted the school enrollment numbers for 2006 so that everyone would have a better discussion on the upcoming reclassification in 09. The list has Powell at 1190 students and Lenoir City at 1234. When we played Powell earlier this year, we noticed they dressed OVER 100 players, some had to share a number, Lenoir City has about 40 players left on the varsity. I know some have quit for different reasons, but they only started with about 50 or so, thats less than some 3A teams. I really don't see the numbers of players growing in the future at LCHS and the "officials" say that more people are moving into the area every year so what gives? You can say, well you had a bad year, and yes we did, but after last year the outlook was high. The entire line was going to be returning Seniors, good running backs, good QB and etc, and we were just a point or two in some games from being 5-5, so last years record shouldn't have stopped boys from wanting to play this year. I already know of some Sophmores and Freshmen that have quit and won't return in the future, and you always lose some JRs to cars, girls, and jobs. It looks like at this rate that in a few years, LC will have 1500 students and no football team due to a lack of players. Something has to give!

Don't a lot of the kids play sock ball?

What you hear most of the time is that players have quit because "I don't like the coach..." or "I don't want to play on a losing team.." etc... If I am the coach, I wouldn't want those players anyway. I think kids now days are soft and lazy for the most part. LC had close to 70 players in July and August. Now down to 40. THe soft kids typically don't make it through the summer months becuase they would rather be sitting in their air conditioned house playing video games or on the computer.

LC has a good coach that knows how to build a program and he will if the nay sayers will get off his back and let him do it. You have to start working in January in the weight room and get a group of the players together to throw and run on your own. This has to happen EVERY WEEK untill practice starts in August.

The work ethic is why players quit most all the time. The parents of players that have quit are responsible for their own childs work ethic. It is easier to set on the couch and cry about something being to hard,or no fun, or it's to hot outside.

Do you think that teams like Maryville just show up on Friday night and roll the ball out on the field. They know that if you want to play game #15 in Murfreesboro in December, you start working in January just to have a chance to be there.

To the 40 or so players that are left I say work your butt off and keep your head up high. There are a lot of people that respect for what you are doing. You will learn a lot about life by playing High School Football and right now you probally don't realise what I mean but you will later in life and you will be glad you played your heart out every week for your school.

Rebel9

LC has a good coach that knows how to build a program and he will if the nay sayers will get off his back and let him do it. You have to start working in January in the weight room and get a group of the players together to throw and run on your own. This has to happen EVERY WEEK untill practice starts in August.

The work ethic is why players quit most all the time. The parents of players that have quit are responsible for their own childs work ethic. It is easier to set on the couch and cry about something being to hard,or no fun, or it's to hot outside.

Do you think that teams like Maryville just show up on Friday night and roll the ball out on the field. They know that if you want to play game #15 in Murfreesboro in December, you start working in January just to have a chance to be there.

To the 40 or so players that are left I say work your butt off and keep your head up high. There are a lot of people that respect for what you are doing. You will learn a lot about life by playing High School Football and right now you probally don't realise what I mean but you will later in life and you will be glad you played your heart out every week for your school.

Rebel9

LC has a good Coach?!?!?!? Come on!!! No discipline or if there is, it is not consistent! A player was allowed to play Friday night that had shot off fireworks in the field house last week. After the fiasco last year, why is this kid still on the team?!? Other players tear out of the parking lot like they are trying to run people over and the parents are the ones watching. Then you have one of our players after the team at Halls cussing his own team loud enough for parents from both teams, some with small kids, to hear. Why was this player allowed to address his own team members in this manner? These players don't fear or respect this coach. He says one thing and doesn't stick to it!!! I do think he's a good guy and like him personally and he does have good intentions. I do realize some boys are a handful but how many assistant coaches do you need to keep them in check?

OK Reb, i'm a little confused on just where you feel the problem may be. First you tell me that LC has a good coach that knows how to build a program and that it is the nay sayers who are the problem. Then you go on to tell us that it is the discipline (or lack thereof) of the players and that they need to work more in the off season. Then it is the parent's fault for allowing kids to sit on the couch during the summer and cry.

So tell me, what has this "good coach" done to build this program over the past five years? Has he inspired players to work harder, has he motivated parents to be involved, has he instilled discipline in the team, has he enthused the local community to new heights? How did the nay sayers get in his way?

I would seriously like to know how the LC program is NOW better than it was five years ago. I do not mean just in wins and losses, but in the basic foundation of the program.

Discipline, character, work ethic, ALL begin with leadership.

This season is almost over and we need a turn around before next season. I guess the biggest question I had was how do these other schools get so many kids to go out for football. Even back at the first of the year BEFORE the summer workouts, BEFORE the 0 & whatever season, there still wasn't that many boys out there. I think 70 players is a little high for the start of the season, but your whole season shouldn't be devestated if 10 or 12 boys quit! Bottom line how can the coaches, players, boosters, parents, fans convince more boys to at least give it a shot? Is it the catch 22, if you have more players you would win, if you win you would have more players? I know some of the coaches from years ago used to "recruit" in the hallways between classes, do we need to set a table up at lunch and give out pamphlets on how wonderful playing football is? Just trying to help and NOW is the time to start.

OK Reb, i'm a little confused on just where you feel the problem may be. First you tell me that LC has a good coach that knows how to build a program and that it is the nay sayers who are the problem. Then you go on to tell us that it is the discipline (or lack thereof) of the players and that they need to work more in the off season. Then it is the parent's fault for allowing kids to sit on the couch during the summer and cry.

So tell me, what has this "good coach" done to build this program over the past five years? Has he inspired players to work harder, has he motivated parents to be involved, has he instilled discipline in the team, has he enthused the local community to new heights? How did the nay sayers get in his way?

I would seriously like to know how the LC program is NOW better than it was five years ago. I do not mean just in wins and losses, but in the basic foundation of the program.

Discipline, character, work ethic, ALL begin with leadership.

Maxi, you make some legitimate points. I don't think there is discipline on this team and I don't think the coach has motivated the parents to be involved (in a positive way). Key word, Leadership. I think there is a lack of it from the coaches to the senior class. Leadership and discipline have to start at the top.

What you hear most of the time is that players have quit because "I don't like the coach..." or "I don't want to play on a losing team.." etc... If I am the coach, I wouldn't want those players anyway. I think kids now days are soft and lazy for the most part. LC had close to 70 players in July and August. Now down to 40. THe soft kids typically don't make it through the summer months becuase they would rather be sitting in their air conditioned house playing video games or on the computer.

I think most of the kids out there would rather play video games or sit inside all day, but I get what you're saying

I think most of the kids out there would rather play video games or sit inside all day, but I get what you're saying

I may be guessing here, but I'm going to say that the attitude toward video games and sitting inside is not just in Lenoir City, I'm sure boys are pretty much the same on average everywhere. I don't think lazy is just our problem, I think there is more. Also I want everyone to know these boys do work everyday from Jan through the end of the season every year, if they aren't working correctly then that is a coaching problem. I've always thought that as much weight lifting as they do, they don't gain enough. When you do exactly as the coaches tell you, and you aren't gaining much, well it much be the way you are doing it. I always see people on here say "got to hit the weights", well they do, but it doesn't seem to helping much.

There is a lack of Discipline at Lenoir City. Players are allowed to do things which are strictly against school rules. The kids with the fireworks on school property is strictly against the rules and nothing was done. Players cussing the coach's and them being told they are suspended for the next game and low and behold they are practicing the next week with no punishment. The coaching staff at Lenoir City High School needs some major remodeling work. If the kids don't like to coach they are not going to come out and play football. Lenoir City does have workouts during the summer months and also do passing skills with the QB's and receivers/running backs. You only have a hand full of kids that are truly dedicated to playing this sport and others are just out there to say that they have played football. It appears that right now the ONLY fans that Lenoir City High School Football has are the parents of the players.

I feel that if something does NOT change soon Football at Lenoir City High School will be non-existent.

In closing, Senoirs keep your heads up and keep fighting. Good Luck at Maryville friday night.

GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />