Lenoir City "Fans"

dr137600

i didnt come from a rock.... I came from one of the best high school in the state. I came from one of the best college's ever. I have helped coach one of the best high schools in the state. I have one of the best educations their is to offer. I can spell. Billy has no idea what it takes to develop a 3-4a football player. I do. I actually heard that Billy actually practices with his players. I have also heard that he actually tackles them. That is hilarious. If you think that is teach kids to tackle and block you are mistaken. Mrs. Gentry was right when she wrote that article. What other fans do you expect to come to the football games. Lets invite the Tennessee titans to come watch!!! You people keep saying that the adiminstration needs to change for the program to be successful, and then you say the coaches need to be fired. Maybe the coaches would be better with a different administration. Maybe you should volunteer and help them coach?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dr,

I have heard alot about the lack of community and administration support. Do you really know what this means? You say that that is all this program needs, but again you are short on specifics. You mention the fans expected the quarterback to throw TDs every time and that the offensive line lacked desire. I guess all the fans need to do is provide "support" and magically the QB will complete more passes and the line begins to have desire. When challenged you like to personally attack folks.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the program. It is coaching. coaches build desire, coaches call the plays that expect the QB to throw low percentage passes, it is the coaches that failed to build depth and experience over the past five years, it is the coaches that fail to build repsect, fail to properly discipline, fail to follow TSSAA rules. Don't tell us that it is the fans or supporters fault. What did the coach ask anyone to do that they did not do for the program? I don't want to hear about sharing a field with the band or how they got a new tower. Fundamental football can be taught is a vacant lot. I have seen many programs live and die on just playing talent and not developing talent. You like to say how good the freshman were this year, well that just proves the point about talent development. They were developed by the little league only to be used this year by the high school. the question is why can not the coaches at the high school make them better.

I hate to second guess coaches, but it is very obvious that this staff is lacking in basic skills. They never adjusted their system to fit their talent (which they had plenty of talent). The best years I had while coaching high school and college, I had to adjust for the talent I had. While coaching high school, the only thing that kept me in the business was starting and using a freshman and jv program. I also spent a lot of time with the little league coaches (we did nto have a middle school program either) that feed into my program. I took them to coaching clinics and invited them to be on the sidelines or the box during my games. Soon they were good coaches developing good players for my program. I recruited players from within the school and other sports. (One year I was the assistant basketball coach so I could encourage BB players to play football for me). Once I had built the program, then community, admin, and school support began to rise. Players want to play for someone who is willing to work harder than they. You know, build it and they will come.

At the college level, I could recruit talent, but what allowed us to win was the ability of the coaching staff to increase the players "desire" to work hard. I have seen many many games. LC problem IS coaching. Players are aligned incorrectly, they do not understand defensive reads, offensive linemen using wrong techniques, the defensive line using the wrong leverage. If it was just a few players, I would say maybe desire or talent, but when they almost to the man use the same incorrect techniques, that tells me someone is teaching them incorrectly. I know that there are several former college players as coaches, but I had many grad assistances who worked for me that were pretty good players, but could not coach for anything. I also had several dang good coaches who were just average players. If coach White is not getting good work form his coaches, then stand up and make the needed changes. What ever the issue, the head coach is responsible for everything the program does or fails to do (at least that's what my AD always told me).

Just my two cents on this conversation... I think regardless of who the coaches are, they must instill discipline and leadership in the LCHS program. THe discipline must start with off-season workouts and coaches must realize that actions speak louder than words. Discipline must be consistent with ALL players. THere is talent at LC, however, I think the coaches need to adjust their schemes (both offensively and defensively) to fit the talent that they have to work with. Also, treat the players with respect and make them treat each other with respect. Obviously , none of this is an easy task, but without discipline good leadership and respect, you will never have a real TEAM. Teams, not individuals, win football games. Ask Maryville.

i didnt come from a rock.... I came from one of the best high school in the state. I came from one of the best college's ever. I have helped coach one of the best high schools in the state. I have one of the best educations their is to offer. I can spell. Billy has no idea what it takes to develop a 3-4a football player. I do. I actually heard that Billy actually practices with his players. I have also heard that he actually tackles them. That is hilarious. If you think that is teach kids to tackle and block you are mistaken. Mrs. Gentry was right when she wrote that article. What other fans do you expect to come to the football games. Lets invite the Tennessee titans to come watch!!! You people keep saying that the adiminstration needs to change for the program to be successful, and then you say the coaches need to be fired. Maybe the coaches would be better with a different administration. Maybe you should volunteer and help them coach?

Who the heck is Billy?

I dont think the players would be coach to use the wrong leverage. That makes no sense. the coaches dont tell the quarterback who to throw the ball to. the quarterback makes that decision from the reads that HE makes. I never said anything about sharing a field so I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't know what goes on during practice. Do you go to practice??? Maybe i will have to leave work one day next year and go watch. I can probably guarentee that the little league and the high school do not run the same offense and defense. So the freshmen coaches had to coach the kids to run the high school program. Knowing that people support you is very inspiring. You don't what to let people down. I went to the maryville high school game and I saw that running back pick up the coach. That was very touching. Maybe the kids like the head coach.

For your information DR, Billy does not run the Little League program in Lenoir City. If he is tackling his players it is probably showing them how to correctly tackle. Showing them the proper technique and how to driver thru your man when you tackle them. I used to do this when I coached. I coached for 6 years and MY kids knew how to block and tackle.

I agree with everything you said Maxi and pantherman85 and it is completely correct.

maybe the schemes where correct. I didnt think the quarterback threw a td. so maybe running the ball almost every play was for a reason. maybe they used the talent that they had. It just wasnt enough tallent. that is not a coaching problem. besides heart beats tallent 9 times out of 10.

I didn't say the coach taught the wrong leverage, they just did teach it correctly and they seem not to notice when the player does it incorrectly. As for the reads for the QB, the patterns determine the read. Throwing a ISO fade there is only one read, throw it or not. There is no alternate read. Also, the sequence of reads is the key. LC runs a lot of simultaneous read routes when sequential breaks would be easier for the QB. Also, the route break late. The QB had a good arm, but would have faired better throwing from the rollout and not in the pocket so much. I know the coaches mean well, but talent also applies to coaching and not just players. Coaches need to be developed. If the administration is not willing to change coaches then they need to invest some time and money improving what they have.

coaches should not be responsible for leadership. Leadership should come from the players. Maryville coaches don't say you are a leader. Leaders should step up and do it themselves. the freshmen won more than they lost.

C'mon Doc, Leadership MUST start at the top. I agree you can't make someone a leader, they either have it or they don't. Coaches have to lead and players have to respect the coaches authority. THe only way to make this happen is for the coaches to be consistent with their discipline and treat the players with respect.