Tennessee High vs. Volunteer

Yogi Bear

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Cap just in case you didn't see this hear it is again. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Hey Kev-o... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> !!! Oops...wrong finger. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Hey Kev-o... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> !!! Oops...wrong finger. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I knew you would get a kick out of it /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Im sure you had more then one of those fingers heading in your direction this past week an tonight.

I knew you would get a kick out of it /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Im sure you had more then one of those fingers heading in your direction this past week an tonight.

You're probably right /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> , but I guess thats just part of it. I hear your boys took care of business. Congrats!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

No excuses from the Vikings. The Falcons had more heart and just plain wanted it more. The call at the goal line was questionable, but the bottom line is that we did not deserve to win. Also there was a flag in the backfield for holding so we would have had to try again anyway. Congrats to Volunteer on a well played game. Oh and our fans are pathetic.

No excuses from the Vikings. The Falcons had more heart and just plain wanted it more. The call at the goal line was questionable, but the bottom line is that we did not deserve to win. Also there was a flag in the backfield for holding so we would have had to try again anyway. Congrats to Volunteer on a well played game. Oh and our fans are pathetic.

Amen to that!

Congrats to Volunteer, they just plain dominated the Vikings. Good luck to you all in the next round. Does anybody know what happened to Elijah Bible??? Why was our best player on the team not playing??? I don't think he was even dressed out, unless he switched numbers.

On a side note, I've been watching THS football for a long time, and I can't recall EVER being at a home playoff game where the visiting team brought TWICE as many fans as the home crowd had.

Congrats to Volunteer, they just plain dominated the Vikings. Good luck to you all in the next round. Does anybody know what happened to Elijah Bible??? Why was our best player on the team not playing??? I don't think he was even dressed out, unless he switched numbers.

On a side note, I've been watching THS football for a long time, and I can't recall EVER being at a home playoff game where the visiting team brought TWICE as many fans as the home crowd had.

You are right on. THS fans should be ashamed.

http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tri/spor...11-09-0063.html

Tennessee High falls to Volunteer 21-14 in overtime

Friday, Nov 09, 2007 - 11:22 PM

By Brian T. Smith

Bristol Herald Courier

BRISTOL, Tenn. ??” Thomas Turnbull planted his feet and jumped.

When Turnbull came down, both of his black cleats and the football he was tightly grasping appeared to rest above white paint.

Turnbull had scored a touchdown. The Vikings were still alive.

Or were they?

A sideline referee momentarily lifted his arms up to signal a score, then dropped them back down. Two more refs ran over. As opinions, pleas and threats rang out from the stands, Tennessee High??™s 2007 football season hung in the balance.

Twenty seconds later, it was over.

The refs ruled that Turnbull had come down inches short of the goal line.

While Volunteer fans stormed the field, a Vikings fan tried to throw a maroon-and-silver pom-pom at the feet of the departing refs.

"You ruined my senior year!" the fan shouted.

But the result was the same: Tennessee High had fallen to Volunteer 21-14 in overtime on Friday evening in a Division I Class 4A first-round state playoff game at The Stone Castle.

"I don??™t know what the rules are, but my feet were in," a stunned Turnbull said. "But that??™s part of high school football."

Turnbull fought off a Volunteer defensive back and pulled down a desperation pass from Tennessee High (8-3) quarterback Mason Canty on 4th-and-6 in OT.

Canty began the play by rolling left, and then turned right when he ran into a wall of Falcons (6-5) defenders.

After checking off his first two options, Canty kept his feet moving and found open ground near the 12-yard line at the right hashmark.

Then he found Turnbull waiting two yards into the end zone.

Since Canty threw off his back foot, his pass lacked velocity.

Turnbull ran up to catch it, came down and ??¦

"I was at a bad angle ??¦ I don??™t know," said Vikings coach Greg Stubbs. "That??™s an official??™s call. Just like last week."

Tennessee High won the coin flip to determine overtime possession, and the Vikings chose to defend their goal first.

But the Falcons turned three straight rushing plays into a touchdown when Chris Ward bowled his way through the Vikings??™ middle for what became a game-winning score.

Even with the overtime controversy, Tennessee High??™s offense struggled to find its footing all game.

Keenan Shephard led the Vikings with 136 yards on 19 rushes, but he and Turnbull (two 7-yard touchdown receptions) were the lone Viks to stand out on offense.

"We just, um, we just didn??™t get some things done tonight," Stubbs said. "We didn??™t execute that well. We didn??™t get some things done in the running game. Didn??™t get it going like we normally do."

The Vikings turned their opening drive of the game into six quick points.

Turnbull pulled down a short pass from Mason Canty and ran seven yards into the end zone, putting Tennessee High up 6-0 with 8 minutes, 50 seconds left in the first quarter.

But the Falcons bounced right back.

Volunteer quarterback Keith Cradic (11-for-18 passing for 110 yards; 128 yards rushing) connected with Aaron Bennett on a crossing pattern, and Bennett turned the simple route into a 55-yard gain.

Cradic then jumped, dove headfirst and twisted his way into the end zone two plays later, pulling the Falcons within 7-6 at the 7:20 mark in the first period.

Cradic looked two-steps faster than the Vikings??™ defense in the early going, and Volunteer turned his fast feet and strong legs into a major advantage.

Cradic burned the Vikings for a 55-yard sprint via a QB sneak late in the second quarter.

And Shane Barlow made it 13-7 Falcons when he knocked over two Tennessee High defensive lineman and fell in the end zone with 37.6 seconds left in the first half.

Volunteer will now move on to face Greeneville on the road at 7 p.m. next Friday.

btsmith@bristolnews.com | (276) 645-2569

Volunteer 21, Tennessee High 14

Volunteer 7 7 0 0 7??”21

Tennessee High 7 0 7 0 0??”14

Scoring Summary

TH??”Thomas Turnbull 7 pass from Mason Canty (Perrin kick)

V??”Keith Cradic 5 run (Cradic kick)

V??”Shane Barlow 2 run (Cradic kick)

TH??”Turnbull 7 pass from Canty (Perrin kick)

V??”Chris Ward 2 run (Cradic kick)

Team Stats

First Downs: V 12, TH 11; Rushes-Yards: V 42-182, TH 37-150; Passing Yards: V 110, TH 60; Comp-Att-Int: V 11-18-0, TH 8-17-0; Fumbles-Lost: V 4-1, TH 3-1; Punts-Average V 6-31.3, TH 5-35.4; Penalties-Yards TH 5-30, V 2-20.

http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tri/spor...11-09-0063.html

Tennessee High falls to Volunteer 21-14 in overtime

Friday, Nov 09, 2007 - 11:22 PM

By Brian T. Smith

Bristol Herald Courier

BRISTOL, Tenn. ??” Thomas Turnbull planted his feet and jumped.

When Turnbull came down, both of his black cleats and the football he was tightly grasping appeared to rest above white paint.

Turnbull had scored a touchdown. The Vikings were still alive.

Or were they?

A sideline referee momentarily lifted his arms up to signal a score, then dropped them back down. Two more refs ran over. As opinions, pleas and threats rang out from the stands, Tennessee High??™s 2007 football season hung in the balance.

Twenty seconds later, it was over.

The refs ruled that Turnbull had come down inches short of the goal line.

While Volunteer fans stormed the field, a Vikings fan tried to throw a maroon-and-silver pom-pom at the feet of the departing refs.

"You ruined my senior year!" the fan shouted.

But the result was the same: Tennessee High had fallen to Volunteer 21-14 in overtime on Friday evening in a Division I Class 4A first-round state playoff game at The Stone Castle.

"I don??™t know what the rules are, but my feet were in," a stunned Turnbull said. "But that??™s part of high school football."

Turnbull fought off a Volunteer defensive back and pulled down a desperation pass from Tennessee High (8-3) quarterback Mason Canty on 4th-and-6 in OT.

Canty began the play by rolling left, and then turned right when he ran into a wall of Falcons (6-5) defenders.

After checking off his first two options, Canty kept his feet moving and found open ground near the 12-yard line at the right hashmark.

Then he found Turnbull waiting two yards into the end zone.

Since Canty threw off his back foot, his pass lacked velocity.

Turnbull ran up to catch it, came down and ??¦

"I was at a bad angle ??¦ I don??™t know," said Vikings coach Greg Stubbs. "That??™s an official??™s call. Just like last week."

Tennessee High won the coin flip to determine overtime possession, and the Vikings chose to defend their goal first.

But the Falcons turned three straight rushing plays into a touchdown when Chris Ward bowled his way through the Vikings??™ middle for what became a game-winning score.

Even with the overtime controversy, Tennessee High??™s offense struggled to find its footing all game.

Keenan Shephard led the Vikings with 136 yards on 19 rushes, but he and Turnbull (two 7-yard touchdown receptions) were the lone Viks to stand out on offense.

"We just, um, we just didn??™t get some things done tonight," Stubbs said. "We didn??™t execute that well. We didn??™t get some things done in the running game. Didn??™t get it going like we normally do."

The Vikings turned their opening drive of the game into six quick points.

Turnbull pulled down a short pass from Mason Canty and ran seven yards into the end zone, putting Tennessee High up 6-0 with 8 minutes, 50 seconds left in the first quarter.

But the Falcons bounced right back.

Volunteer quarterback Keith Cradic (11-for-18 passing for 110 yards; 128 yards rushing) connected with Aaron Bennett on a crossing pattern, and Bennett turned the simple route into a 55-yard gain.

Cradic then jumped, dove headfirst and twisted his way into the end zone two plays later, pulling the Falcons within 7-6 at the 7:20 mark in the first period.

Cradic looked two-steps faster than the Vikings??™ defense in the early going, and Volunteer turned his fast feet and strong legs into a major advantage.

Cradic burned the Vikings for a 55-yard sprint via a QB sneak late in the second quarter.

And Shane Barlow made it 13-7 Falcons when he knocked over two Tennessee High defensive lineman and fell in the end zone with 37.6 seconds left in the first half.

Volunteer will now move on to face Greeneville on the road at 7 p.m. next Friday.

btsmith@bristolnews.com | (276) 645-2569

Volunteer 21, Tennessee High 14

Volunteer 7 7 0 0 7??”21

Tennessee High 7 0 7 0 0??”14

Scoring Summary

TH??”Thomas Turnbull 7 pass from Mason Canty (Perrin kick)

V??”Keith Cradic 5 run (Cradic kick)

V??”Shane Barlow 2 run (Cradic kick)

TH??”Turnbull 7 pass from Canty (Perrin kick)

V??”Chris Ward 2 run (Cradic kick)

Team Stats

First Downs: V 12, TH 11; Rushes-Yards: V 42-182, TH 37-150; Passing Yards: V 110, TH 60; Comp-Att-Int: V 11-18-0, TH 8-17-0; Fumbles-Lost: V 4-1, TH 3-1; Punts-Average V 6-31.3, TH 5-35.4; Penalties-Yards TH 5-30, V 2-20.

This is the longest excuse for losing that I have ever seen posted on CoachT.