MBA vs. Father Ryan

Hadouken

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only thing i ask for is a fair called game from the refs. wasn't one last year at mba, but then again when is it ever a fair called game when you play at mba??? and wasn't this year at greer either.

This means mba parents or alumni don't pay the refs, let the teams decide who wins

not that there is any weight in that argument, but i too found it interesting that no penalties were called against when we played there. although with the 999th game and 1000 game celebration i kinda expected it. yet, our team was flagged plenty of times, including a potentially game-winning td.

anywho, mba wins. sry FR.

Only thing i ask for is a fair called game from the refs. wasn't one last year at mba, but then again when is it ever a fair called game when you play at mba??? and wasn't this year at greer either.

This means mba parents or alumni don't pay the refs, let the teams decide who wins

My first thought when I read this post was a very cynical one, thinking this was the ultimate form of whining "The referees beat us"; not that they were inept, or even biased, but that they were actually bought off.

And then I though about how much money there was at MBA, and thought maybe the writer had a point: maybe MBA wasn't particularly good, and never had been, they just paid off the officials. Then I wondered about the '70's, when we had a long dry spell, especially against Ryan. Why didn't somebody pay the referees, especially in '73, when the difference was only a field goal, and a win might have put MBA into the playoffs? Ina game that close, it shouldn't have taken a lot; we probably could have raised it in the stands that night. It seems awfully tight-fisted and short-sighted to have trusted to talent to win it. Then I wondered why MBA had ever lost, but that seemed silly; I mean, there clearly is a limit to the cash. But still, it seems a good investment to pay for wins in district/region games, and certainly the playoffs. I think back to the loss to Ryan in the '97 State Championship, and had always assumed that the difference lay in slightly better execution from Ryan, which is painful, but I can live with it. But to think it was just a matter of a check not being sent? Unconscionable, and shoddy! Think of that loss to BA a few years back when there was controversy over whether their game-winning field goal came after time expired: Did BA outbid us, for heaven's sake? That left me livid. I've said for years the recruiting director (whoever he is, nobody seems to know when I call out there) should be fired, but do we also need to get rid of the Assistant Athletic Director for Insuring Favorable Officiating? I found myself thinking maybe they need a wholesale housecleaning out on Harding Road, and as an alumnus I should start the ball rolling.

And then I thought about it again, and decided Statebound's post was one of the most ridiculous and whiny posts I had ever read, and went on about my business.

My first thought when I read this post was a very cynical one, thinking this was the ultimate form of whining "The referees beat us"; not that they were inept, or even biased, but that they were actually bought off.

And then I though about how much money there was at MBA, and thought maybe the writer had a point: maybe MBA wasn't particularly good, and never had been, they just paid off the officials. Then I wondered about the '70's, when we had a long dry spell, especially against Ryan. Why didn't somebody pay the referees, especially in '73, when the difference was only a field goal, and a win might have put MBA into the playoffs? Ina game that close, it shouldn't have taken a lot; we probably could have raised it in the stands that night. It seems awfully tight-fisted and short-sighted to have trusted to talent to win it. Then I wondered why MBA had ever lost, but that seemed silly; I mean, there clearly is a limit to the cash. But still, it seems a good investment to pay for wins in district/region games, and certainly the playoffs. I think back to the loss to Ryan in the '97 State Championship, and had always assumed that the difference lay in slightly better execution from Ryan, which is painful, but I can live with it. But to think it was just a matter of a check not being sent? Unconscionable, and shoddy! Think of that loss to BA a few years back when there was controversy over whether their game-winning field goal came after time expired: Did BA outbid us, for heaven's sake? That left me livid. I've said for years the recruiting director (whoever he is, nobody seems to know when I call out there) should be fired, but do we also need to get rid of the Assistant Athletic Director for Insuring Favorable Officiating? I found myself thinking maybe they need a wholesale housecleaning out on Harding Road, and as an alumnus I should start the ball rolling.

And then I thought about it again, and decided Statebound's post was one of the most ridiculous and whiny posts I had ever read, and went on about my business.

There is a good chance your work here wins a literary prize this year. Well stated!

Maybe I can work with CoachT to create a site for us old guys so that we can leave the trash talkers here and actually discuss the games, the teams, and the issues surrounding HS sports.

FlyBy

[/quot

it is a little far fetched but order a tape of last years game and you will understand his comments

There is a good chance your work here wins a literary prize this year. Well stated!

Maybe I can work with CoachT to create a site for us old guys so that we can leave the trash talkers here and actually discuss the games, the teams, and the issues surrounding HS sports.

FlyBy

By all means, let me know the url...it's been a miserable season on the boards here. Obviouly I follow the MBA games closer than anything else, and some of the posts relating to MBA, Ryan, and Ensworth have been downright embarrassing to everybody involved.

And thank you for the compliment, but who are you calling old?

You cannot base MBA's one win over Fr.Ryan on how this playoff game will be becasue you don't know how the outcome will be. I have seen alot of nationally ranked undefeated teams freeze up in the playoffs and loose. Father Ryan just wasn't ready to play that week but they now have another chance to step it up.

I don't think MBA will freeze, and I think a lot of Ryan's not being ready to play that week stemmed from the fact that MBA has a better team this year. That said, I hate replays because it's awfully hard to beat a good team twice in the smae year.

[/quot

it is a little far fetched but order a tape of last years game and you will understand his comments

I don't need a tape, since I saw the game. Perhaps the best way to determine if there is holding is to see if the ball has been snapped: if the ball is in play, there's holding. They call the egregious ones, or the ones that occur right in front of an official.

A lot of the time, it's just perspective. I'm betting you've never seen Father Ryan actually commit an offense, but that any penalty called against MBA is a just and God-sent retribution to the Hun.