AC @ Fulton

MavFan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big difference in this game IMO is experience. Playoffs are different. AC has a nice first round victory, and congratulations to them. They have had a fine season. I said back after the Halls scrimmage, that if they play the way they did in the first 1/2 of that scrimmage, they win a lot of games.

Fulton has a lot of playoff experience. Not just players, mind you, but the coaching staff as well. Advantage Fulton. Typically, if you run the ball and play good defense, you will do well in the playoffs, unless.....you have difficulty stopping the big play. AC has done a nice job this year of defending the run. Fulton has not run the ball particularly well. Not to their usual standards. No Demarcus Stevens, Jam Fine, Rogan or experienced line. Advantage AC. I like the fullback @ AC. Good blocker, does things well. Rodgers kid is a good RB, and the OL is pretty good. AC can run the ball if the QB Longmire and the playcalling can keep Fulton off balance for at least the first 1/2. If Longmire can tuck it and run and get 5-6, and or Rogers can get 3 on 1st down, while everybody is patient, and the clock runs, AC can move the ball, and go to the Sharpe kid or #1 when it is not expected.

The other side of it for AC will present a few more challenges. Humphrey, Smith, Tyson, Cobb, Stokes, and Blair have all played a lot of football well into November, and December. They have been down, and come back, had leads that were lost, and hung on to win, played in all the bad weather, and have had their big guns keyed on and shut down. They make big plays. See Frenney last year. One of those names above will make a big play or two or three. The question is how will AC respond? Will they panic, and throw it all over the place, and get a pick returned, or be forced to punt and have one returned? Or, will they stick to a gameplan, be patient, let the game come to them, control the momentum, and sneak away from Broadway Street with a "W"?

ruse?

Fulton has not cut the grass since week eight and today they cancelled football practice in order to water down the field making it extra muddy. They are thinking of anything they do to slow down the Mavs with all of this verbal momentum they are picking up. They might even charge admission to the AC players to see if the Mav's coach will keep some of the reserves on the bus. We're getting nervous over here.

I think that all of these predictions have been a little bit high. 16-14 may be reasonable but wouldn't it be 17-14 if he won it on a field goal? You predicting that he will miss an extra point? Kind of a confusing score...

Anyway back to the game. While I do not doubt that Anderson County's offense has been playing well, I must remind the Mavs that the Falcons defense is nothing like the defense they faced last week in Carter. The Falcons have had several shut outs this year and have looked pretty good of late.

On the other hand the falcon offense has not played very well this year. They struggled last week with rutledge in the first 3 quarters.

The differance to this game is whether Jonathan Blair hits his mark in the passing game. If Blair has a good game Fulton wins. If Blair has a poor game I'd be suprised to see the two teams scores added up to equal more than 21.

As I was daydreaming over breakfast a little voice whispered.... Do you think Larry Kerr will announce his retirement to the team before the game (again) and use it as a motivational tool to rally the cow herd? Out of the corner of the locker room a little nonstarting junior with a crackling voice cries, "We'll win it for you coach!" and the locker room erupts.... If they do lose, maybe he does retire in heroic fashion. However, if he wins.... players give him the gameball, he withdraws retirement statement (again), and continues coaching for the boys that need him the most.

I think that all of these predictions have been a little bit high. 16-14 may be reasonable but wouldn't it be 17-14 if he won it on a field goal? You predicting that he will miss an extra point? Kind of a confusing score...

Anyway back to the game. While I do not doubt that Anderson County's offense has been playing well, I must remind the Mavs that the Falcons defense is nothing like the defense they faced last week in Carter. The Falcons have had several shut outs this year and have looked pretty good of late.

On the other hand the falcon offense has not played very well this year. They struggled last week with rutledge in the first 3 quarters.

The differance to this game is whether Jonathan Blair hits his mark in the passing game. If Blair has a good game Fulton wins. If Blair has a poor game I'd be suprised to see the two teams scores added up to equal more than 21.

actually, that is exactly what i was thinking! farmer misses a pat and comes back with the game winner. i thought that was pretty obvious. however, 1 td w/ extra point & 3 fgs would also equal 16. has nobody ever scored 16? ive seen it quite often. thanks anyway!

Why cut it when you can just have the players smoke it? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Just having fun with Photoman since he was obviously jabbing the Irish with the field watering, grass growing comment. No offense intended but I probably shouldn't have used the word players. I've got plenty of respect for the Falcons and I'm friends with several of their coaches.

Don't lose your sense of humor, it's just a game.....

Good luck to all our teams tonight and hope all stay injury free.